PDA

View Full Version : Anyone used Konecto flooring? Other rec's?

ha98ed14
04-04-2009, 01:14 PM
Or another vinyl plank? I need to re-floor 2 areas and am looking for an inexpensive but durable alternative to vinyl and would appreciate any recommendations.

Area 1: A hallway and bath/ laundry room. The hallways is where the entrance from the attached garage comes in. The hall runs into the bathroom-laundryroom. This area currently has sheet vinyl.

Area 2: The kitchen and family room. The kitchen has the same sheet vinyl as the bath and hall, but the family room has carpet laid over (tacky!) vinyl tiles that are suppose to look like parquet (par kay?). The carpet will be easy to rip out, but not so sure out the vinyl tiles because we can't tell if they laid them over the finished hardwood or if they installed a new plywood subfloor and installed it over that.

I read that you can install Konecto in wet areas like kitchen and bath and that it holds up better than wood laminate. looking for any Konecto BTDT or other ideas. TIA!

ha98ed14
04-04-2009, 10:47 PM
*Bump* Anyone?

Nooknookmom
04-04-2009, 11:28 PM
You intrigued me to do a search and I came up w/ a really negative review. It looks like temp & moisture level (such as a basement or below-grade living space) could cause failure.

http://www.diychatroom.com/f5/konecto-flooring-failure-dont-recommend-15481/

I got all excited when I saw that type of floor b/c we live in a 99 year old house & wood flooring would be hard to install and keep due to all of the settling. We're on a post & pier foundation and my tile always cracks.

The flexible vinyl planks "looked" awesome.

Arlington22207
04-05-2009, 10:25 AM
I'm just a lurker here but I finally found something that I could reasonably offer my opinion on!

We installed Allure vinyl plank flooring from Home Depot in our basement laundry room and bathroom about five months ago and haven't had a single problem. I would highly recommend it, it's as easy as can be to install. We special ordered a deep mahogany color but they have a few different others in stock. It wasn't dirt cheap, but since we did all the work ourselves, the entire project was inexpensive.

It took us one long evening to do the laundry (maybe 3-4 hours of work) and slightly less for a small bathroom.

My recommendation would be to be very careful to read the instructions, lay out your first few pieces very carefully so they are straight, and MAKE SURE YOU APPLY PRESSURE WHEN LAYING DOWN THE PLANKS.

I'm not sure about Konecto, but the Allure is "self-stick" which makes it very easy. But they are clear in the instructions to suggest using a floor roller to really set the glue. I didn't have that, so I used a rolling pin and really applied pressure.

So far, so good.