PDA

View Full Version : Best age for play kitchen?

jgenie
04-04-2009, 02:02 PM
DS is almost 15 months old. He enjoys playing w/ a friends' kitchen. When should I think about getting him one? Will Xmas be too late? He'll be two in Jan.

infomama
04-04-2009, 02:24 PM
It won't be too late if you wait *but* we bought our play kitchen when DD1 was 15 months old and it has been a very loved toy/activity ever since. DD2 plays with it all the time since she was about 13 months. This is the one we have http://www.step2.com/product.cfm?product_id=1283.

ett
04-04-2009, 02:33 PM
I agree. 2 won't be too late but DS2 has been playing with our since he could pull up to standing. Children's development happens so quickly during the first couple of years that I like to give them toys when they're ready for it instead of waiting for a holiday. Especially true for DS2 who like your DS has a b-day in January, very close to the holidays.

citymama
04-04-2009, 07:22 PM
We got ours at 18 months and it was a big hit.

crimscrem
04-04-2009, 09:17 PM
We got ours for our son when he was 21 months. I have no doubt he would have played with it before that though. He likes playing with it, but has more fun with the play food we got him.

Tammy
04-04-2009, 11:22 PM
It won't be too late if you wait *but* we bought our play kitchen when DD1 was 15 months old and it has been a very loved toy/activity ever since. DD2 plays with it all the time since she was about 13 months. This is the one we have http://www.step2.com/product.cfm?product_id=1283.

We also have this kitchen and it's a big hit with our DD. She was 26 months when she got hers and loves it. I had second thoughts when I ordered it though, because I just wasn't sure how much she would play with it. I'm glad I ordered it when I did though. Oh, just fyi- I ordered DD's kitchen the week of Cyber Monday (after Thanksgiving) and they had a great sale online- it was $129.99 and no shipping.

kijip
04-05-2009, 02:54 AM
T was all about the play kitchen from ages 2-4 and it even still got played with at 5 but has stopped in the last few months. Both of the ones we have had have been very often used and very loved by him. We went a couple months without one during a weird move (sold the one we had because we did not have a place to keep it (3 pieces) and then used the money from the sale to buy him a different one when we had a place to put it again). He was 2 at the time and man did he miss it when it was gone. He was so excited when we got him one again. he got the play kitchen the first time right when he turned two.

Canna
04-05-2009, 09:13 AM
My 4 y.o. and 14 month-old both enjoy ours.

brittone2
04-05-2009, 01:03 PM
We were going to buy one for DS after a move around 15-16 months of age. I had a lot of his toys packed up, and a few weeks before our move we found a free curbside MDF kitchen. We cleaned and spruced it up a bit, thinking it might keep him busy for a few weeks until we actually moved, and we wouldn't feel bad freecylcling it or whatever afterward.

DS enjoyed opening/closing everything, turning the knobs, etc. It wasn't really sophisticated pretend play, but he liked it.

We took it along with us and he enjoyed it for a long time after that. He was happy with it, so we put off buying a new one.

WHen he turned 3 we got him a nice Elves and Angels kitchen and fridge. The old one was put outside in the upper level of his covered deck on the playstructure/fort.

The new kitchen was totally for me, LOL. He would have loved the MDF one forever anyway ;)

DD is 2 and has been getting into the kitchen recently. DS spent most of his time between ages 2-3 w/ the play ktichen. DS is now 5 and now that DD is getting into the play kitchen, they both play with it a bit together.

smilla653
04-08-2009, 06:39 PM
When they're so young, I say give it to them right away. They really don't notice whether they get the "big" gifts at holidays or just whenever (so if you need to skimp on the Christmas gifts later on that's fine). Play kitchens are one of the first things the little ones play with, and I agree with the PP that they change so much developmentally it's often worth it just to give it to them.