PDA

View Full Version : She hates the Ergo

infomama
04-04-2009, 04:29 PM
I've tried and tried and tried but DD2 just dips sideways and tries to get out of it (front/back...doesn't matter). I want her to love this thing as much as I do but I think she has spoken. $100 bucks down the toilet.
Dangit

caleymama
04-04-2009, 04:44 PM
Not sure how old she is, but I wouldn't give up yet! I used it until well after 3 with my DD2, so you may have plenty of time for her to get used to it. Also, it's a little awkward, but have you tried using it for a hip carry? If she'd try that maybe you could work to eventually do a front or back carry. I did a quick google and found this link with side/hip carry instructions (http://www.the-ergo-lady.com/ergo-baby-carrier/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=62&products_id=27&zenid=8d5b45283e640aab6335129f5b88c616).

If none of that will help, then I'm sorry - total bummer. I know how it feels to have such high hopes for something like that and have it be a bust. :hug:

infomama
04-04-2009, 04:53 PM
DD2 is 18 1/2 months old. I haven't tried the hip carry yet but I'm willing to give it a shot! Thanks for the link.

kittymom
04-04-2009, 05:41 PM
it took a month or so for DS to like being in a carrier and then he loved it! if i had stopped when he complained i never would have known that he would love it down the road. just keep trying!

Snow mom
04-04-2009, 05:53 PM
On the up side, ergos maintain their value really well. If she ends up hating it you certainly won't be out more than $20-30. I'd recommend getting an account on TBW. The baby wearing mamas over there are certain to have suggestions for how to make your DD like the ergo better. You can even post pictures and they'll suggest tweaks to make the carrier fit better.

KHF
04-05-2009, 12:57 PM
I hear you. I had such high hopes about being a babywearing mama with DD. She hated all of them...except the Mei Hip carrier. So definitely try the hip carry the PP suggested. I kept most of my carriers to try with DS. So far, he hates it too. I did successfully carry him around the house in the Sachi Mei Tai for a few minutes the other day, but the ring sling is a no go. I've got a used Ergo i'm hoping to use when he gets bigger. A mama has to hold out hope.

jent
04-05-2009, 02:19 PM
I hear you. I had such high hopes about being a babywearing mama with DD.

Me too. I didn't try quite so many types, but the Ergo just never really worked out for us, except on a few rare occasions. I'm thinking about giving it to a friend w/ a new baby on extended loan, but I'm still actually holding out hope that I might get some use out of it.