PDA

View Full Version : Cheap but decent jeans?

caheinz
04-05-2009, 01:35 AM
I'm wondering where a good place to get *cheap* but decent-looking jeans might be these days.

I'm about 6mos pp from twins, and though I've lost most of the pregnancy weight, my body is hanging on to some, especially in the thighs, which is going to be hanging around at least a couple more months (until I can take the twins out in the jogging stroller at more than a walking pace!).

I have no jeans that fit right now, and I'm tired of not having them for casual days or weekends. I suspect whatever size I need right now won't fit for more than 6 months (I'm still slowly slimming despite not running).

So, any suggestions?

infomama
04-05-2009, 07:39 AM
Jeans are tough. When I was in your boat I scoured the stores for some in-between jeans. I ended up with a couple pairs from Target on sale. They were a bit big in the waist but the leg fit fine and I just wore a belt. I tried Target, Kohls and a couple of places at the mall before I found a decent fit/price.
GL

jvs195
04-05-2009, 07:48 AM
I have my best luck at Gap or Old Navy. They have a good selection of styles and washes and nothing too fancy. Look for the coupon site, I got a 50% off one item coupon.

ohiomom1121
04-05-2009, 08:00 AM
I always seem to buy my jeans at Marshalls and Costco. Both carry designer brands, but obviously it's hit or miss. THere's a brand called Vertigo I've gotten several times from Marshalls for around $20 (price tag is usually around $170) that fit wonderfully. Costco usually seems to have Calvin Klein and Lucky.

ilfaith
04-05-2009, 09:23 AM
I'll second Old Navy and Gap for reasonably priced, decent quality jeans. Both have a wide variety of sizes, rises and washes, so you should be able to find something that fits and flatters in either store. Old Navy is generally cheaper, ($25-$35) although you may be able to find something on sale at Gap for a comparable price.

caheinz
04-05-2009, 05:27 PM
Thanks!

I'll probably try Old Navy and Marshall's first -- they're next to each other in the closest instance of each.

Although returns are easy at Costco, I'd have to buy 3-4 pairs to be able to take them on to try on at home and get any that fit... so I need to go somewhere where I can try them on first.

nfowife
04-05-2009, 06:47 PM
My 2 favorite pairs of jeans are the sonoma brand from kohl's. They were $15 each!! I can't wait to get back to the states to get some new ones....mine are starting to look a bit rough after almost 2 years of near-daily wear :) .

hellokitty
04-05-2009, 08:29 PM
Avoid Old Navy! Their jeans are so stretchy, they fit nicely for 10 min and then they are practically falling off! I bought two prs before realizing this problem and will never buy a pr of their jeans again...

boltfam
04-07-2009, 04:27 PM
Avoid Old Navy! Their jeans are so stretchy, they fit nicely for 10 min and then they are practically falling off! I bought two prs before realizing this problem and will never buy a pr of their jeans again...

:yeahthat:

I have a pair from American Eagle that aren't super comfortable b/c they're kind of tight but they look nice and cost around $20 on sale.

caheinz
04-07-2009, 06:29 PM
OK, thanks for more info!

I was skeptical of Old Navy. I've never been able to find bottoms that fit me there. (Small waist, much much larger thigh/hips -- even more so now, post-twins.)

I'll definitely check Kohl's. Comfortable is good...

mamaoftwins
04-08-2009, 09:05 AM
Great suggestions above, but also wanted to share something I just figured out. If you have a specific brand that you like, check eBay. I like JCrew boycut jeans, and I recently got two pairs, one new (19.99), one gently used (9.99) on eBay. They're a few seasons old, but still the same style and colors I like. :)

JdrKuhnert
04-08-2009, 10:52 AM
I really like the Gap Essential fit. The waist is neither too low nor too high. The legs are a little wider which works well for my biggish thighs. I found them after the birth of DS2 and bought them in various sizes as I went back to normal. Because they weren't too worn and were fairly current, I was able to sell the larger sizes to a used clothing store and get some money back. I also found them at the Gap outlet, but the wash on the regular store pair was better than the wash on the outlet pair.

wendibird22
04-08-2009, 10:57 AM
Eddie Bauer has a fit that is one size smaller in the waist than the thighs. This eliminates the gap at the waist that I always get with other jeans. They are usually a below the waist rise (so low but not too low) and a boot cut leg. They run about $60 but I can usually find them on sale for $30.

caheinz
04-08-2009, 11:03 PM
Eddie Bauer has a fit that is one size smaller in the waist than the thighs. This eliminates the gap at the waist that I always get with other jeans. They are usually a below the waist rise (so low but not too low) and a boot cut leg. They run about $60 but I can usually find them on sale for $30.

These are my usual jeans... I just don't have any in my current size...

Even with these, I have some room around the waist by the time the hips/thighs fit. But it's a lot better than most.

hellokitty
04-09-2009, 06:56 PM
I went to the outlet mall today. Eddie Bauer outlet had jeans on clearance for about $20. The Wrangler/VF/Lee outlet has mens and womens jeans for only $7.xx!!!! I'm pregnant right now, or else I would have tried them on, b/c that's a great prcie. The $7 ones actually looked nice. Healthtex had kid jeans for only $7.xx too!

caheinz
04-10-2009, 10:33 PM
OK, I ended up peeking into Loehmann's and Nordstrom Rack. Will revisit NRack when I'm a more stable size, but they mainly had $80-100 jeans (7 and TrueReligion and Joe's and such). Didn't try any on, other than a Calvin Klein pair I found in clearance that didn't come anywhere near covering my backside (and I'm not _that_ big!).

Found a good pair at Kohl's -- Levi's 529s (Curvy). They were on sale, plus a percentage off, plus $10 for later when I bought two...

(Didn't see any on sale in my size when I peeked into my local Eddie Bauer outlet.)

So, I found some! Thanks for the suggestion to check out Kohl's!

kijip
04-12-2009, 04:16 AM
I normally hate Old Navy for me but while there scouring kids clearance, I grabbed a pair of dark rinse "sweetheart" jeans for me and they have been perfect for my not-permanent post baby body. I wear them a lot. And the price can't be beat. This particular denim is not very stretchy and they hold their shape for a long time, a really long time since I usually wear them 3-4 times before washing.

jellibeans
04-15-2009, 04:17 PM
Try Gap's Long and Lean if you can find a coupon. You don't have to be long and lean...I definately am not.