PDA

View Full Version : No mofo...

kijip
04-05-2009, 01:54 AM
when I say that I may be interested next Spring in filling a baseball coaching position, I mean I will be interested. Not my husband.

I mentioned that I might be able to be a usually much needed coach *next season* and I was approached later in the day and told how great it was that my husband was willing to coach next season. She seemed confused when I explained that no, while I am sure J would help out here and that that it is something I would be doing (with my dad as Assistant Coach).

Last I checked my husband might actually need a reminder of which direction to run the bases. He does not even own a baseball glove (though we have an extra around here from my high school age team play he in theory uses to learn with T. In reality catch is a mama and grandpa thing around here). J never played any sport after what he described a "terrifying" season of soccer whereas I grew up playing baseball and then softball from before I can really remember. With family. On teams. At church. At school. I both love and know the game. I stopped when I was 17 and regret not playing recreationally in college. I have tried to show him how to bat without too much success (it's not a golf club!) AND when my brother and I have played catch with him we had to seriously slow down to include him. Trust me lady, between the two of us you want me as the coach.

Actually, my husband could coach (we are talking 6 year olds here) if his work schedule permitted (it does not) but I just thought it was funny that it was assumed it had to be a man by this person. Last season we had a female coach so I know it's not a new thing, LOL.

niccig
04-05-2009, 02:03 AM
Same in this household. I do most of the handyperson chores. Friends and DH's family are amazed. I recaulked MIL's bath and she was telling friends at New Year's Eve Party about how I did a better job than FIL and that DH looked after DS while I did it.

We've also had the conversation about if we're all on a boat and someone has to go overboard. DH knows I can kick his butt in the water. So, it would be Mama swimming to shore.

Some people still hold onto stereotypes.

NancyJ_redo
04-05-2009, 02:20 PM
My DH and I have complete role reversals. I do - and thoroughly enjoy - all the fix-it work around the house. Install plumbing fixtures, lighting, garbage disposal, toilets, etc., and fix the washer/dryer/refrigerator, etc. And DH does all the cooking and some other domestic chores. Our family laughs about it, but it works very well for both of us, and we both really enjoy our respective tasks.

But similar to your experience, Katie, just a few days ago the coach of DS' baseball team said he couldn't be at practice this week and needed some other parents to step up. Several parents responded saying they could help, including me and 1 or 2 other moms. The coach eventually emailed back thanking everyone for their responses, and said something to the effect of "we even had some moms volunteer". I was dumbfounded for a second and thought of replying some smarta** response, but then thought better of it and let it go. Granted, DH is much better at baseball than me, but I definitely know how to play and it shouldn't be so shocking to someone that *even* some girls know how to play and would be willing to coach.

Wife_and_mommy
04-05-2009, 02:24 PM
Yeah, not helpful in this day and age.

KBecks
04-05-2009, 02:37 PM
I got a call from a political party for a donation, and the caller kept asking if we should put the information in my husband's name, and I firmly said that no, I am the donor. It was memorable and lame.

elektra
04-05-2009, 08:40 PM
I anticipate this kind of thing if I ever want to coach DD's or DS's teams, although DH isn't totally clueless. Our tax guy totally does this too. I handle all the finances and I even sought out and saw this tax guy before DH and I were married. Now that we are filing jointly and married, DH is all of a sudden their main point of contact. If they actually want to get ahold of someone they should probably stick with me!

niccig
04-05-2009, 09:09 PM
I keep getting telemarketing calls and they only want to talk to DH. I tell them I'm his wife, talk to me. No, the only want DH and when is a better time to call. My reply "Never a good time", his work schedule isn't predictable. So, you deal with me or your calls get hung up on...they will then tell me what I want, and I can say "not interested and take BOTH of us off you calling list"

ThreeofUs
04-05-2009, 09:37 PM
Same here. I actually had my insurance agent here put things in DH's name. When I called them up and had a talk with them about it, they were *amazed* that a woman would even want her name on a policy. At all.

I had to tell them that *I* was the client and if they didn't get the name changed to me asap, I would no longer be their client.

What total idiots. Sorry you went through this, K.