PDA

View Full Version : S/O: Popular toys you have never had because you never understood

kijip
04-05-2009, 02:50 AM
why they were popular?

I don't see why those wheely bugs are worth $70ish dollars. I don't get it. Do they sit on them? How? At even a year, my son's knees would have been by his ears in it. Or do they just push it? And the price seems SO MUCH.

brittone2
04-05-2009, 12:57 PM
Baby Einstein, baby TV/videos in general.

Clarity
04-05-2009, 03:21 PM
Baby Einstein, baby TV/videos in general.

:yeahthat:

hellokitty
04-05-2009, 04:07 PM
Cabbage patch dolls and barbies. I never had them as a kid, never wanted them and still don't understand the appeal of them. I thik that cabbage patch dolls are actually really ugly.

Ceepa
04-05-2009, 06:26 PM
Webkinz. DC were given some but never played with them.

American Girls. :duck:

fivi2
04-05-2009, 08:12 PM
why they were popular?

I don't see why those wheely bugs are worth $70ish dollars. I don't get it. Do they sit on them? How? At even a year, my son's knees would have been by his ears in it. Or do they just push it? And the price seems SO MUCH.

At 3 years old my (petite) daughters still fit on the one at a friend's house. Their friend is a pretty tall 3 yo boy and can still ride on it. Maybe they make different sizes? I haven't ever looked at them on-line so I don't know. I think they are cute, but never bought them. They are like a ride on, but the wheels spin around so you can roll sideways and such. My girls like them when we see them at our friend's, but have never minded leaving them either.

I don't get the bilibo! We have a friend with that also and it just seems odd :)

hbridge
04-05-2009, 08:51 PM
I don't get the bilibo! We have a friend with that also and it just seems odd :)

Kids are so different aren't they? DC LOVES the Bilibo, but is a child that is never still so it works for us. It started as a tent for one of the beloved animals (a tent was on the Christmas list) and now this toy is stood on, sat in, spun in, dragged along, used as beds, tents, or a house for various creatures... It feed right into the extensive imagination and need to move that defines my child.

That being said, I never understood Baby Tad, the tea set that talks, and other toys with batteries that make noise. DC would play with them for a few minutes and move on...

Piglet
04-05-2009, 09:13 PM
Stuffed animals - why oh why do I have bins of these and no one really cares to play with them? We have a few favourites that are in bed with the kids, but the remaining 100??? Please, well meaning friends and relatives, please stop giving hem to us!

citymama
04-06-2009, 03:14 AM
Yesterday I was at Target and encountered perhaps the most ridiculous kiddie item ever. I was in the checkout line making small-talk with the woman ahead of me. She proudly showed me something she was buying for her niece's birthday - get this - a DVD-ROM about reading! "Reading is so important, I want to make sure my niece gets into it." Wonderful intentions, but please aunty, get her some books instead! GAH.

Agree with all of the others the PPs have listed - except the stuffed toys! DD has about 50 and each one of them seems to be a favorite at some point or other. They drive me nuts but they're the inspiration for her imaginary universe, in which she seems to spend most of her time! I do agree that people go way out of control with gifting stuffed toys though...

The Review Mommy
04-06-2009, 11:25 AM
My 3 children and I have never seen a Baby Einstein dvd...We like Hopla though. ;)

The Wheely Bug-Yes there are 2 different sizes. I hear the smaller one isn't useful and should be intended for dolls lol. The bigger one is a nice size but my twins didnt like it when we tested it out at USA Baby. They like the Radio Flyer Turtle though which is the same consept with the office chair type wheels that spin. That's the apeal of these toys for little riders so they dont get stuck in a corner and have complete control over where they want to go. I have a neice that has a traditional ride on that only goes front to back and DD was frusterated in that one. She's has a very independent personality...

"That being said, I never understood Baby Tad, the tea set that talks, and other toys with batteries that make noise. DC would play with them for a few minutes and move on..."

LOL! I have a bunch of wooden toys from DD1 and they NEVER get played with buy the twins. They LOVE lights and music type toys. There were a few duds but the Baby Tad is hands down one of the best toy purchases I've ever made. DH bought it of CL for $9 when they were newborns and they are about 10 months and is still a favorite. MIL has the FP tea set that talks and they LOVE that too. I totally depends on the child IME.

DD1, DH and I love Webkinz lol!! Ha Ha...

niccig
04-06-2009, 02:30 PM
Stuffed animals - why oh why do I have bins of these and no one really cares to play with them? We have a few favourites that are in bed with the kids, but the remaining 100??? Please, well meaning friends and relatives, please stop giving hem to us!

Same here. My sister travels for her work and she'll send DS a stuffed toy from Ireland, Brussels, Athens etc. It's nice that she's thinking of him, but he does not play with stuffed animals...

kijip
04-07-2009, 01:19 AM
Yesterday I was at Target and encountered perhaps the most ridiculous kiddie item ever. I was in the checkout line making small-talk with the woman ahead of me. She proudly showed me something she was buying for her niece's birthday - get this - a DVD-ROM about reading! "Reading is so important, I want to make sure my niece gets into it." Wonderful intentions, but please aunty, get her some books instead! GAH.

:hysterical: I love the products people dream up. Might as well watch a video of people running to train for a marathon yourself or something.

DrSally
04-08-2009, 04:20 PM
:hysterical: I love the products people dream up. Might as well watch a video of people running to train for a marathon yourself or something.

:rotflmao:

pastrygirl
04-08-2009, 04:24 PM
Stuffed animals - why oh why do I have bins of these and no one really cares to play with them? We have a few favourites that are in bed with the kids, but the remaining 100??? Please, well meaning friends and relatives, please stop giving hem to us!I'm just going to follow you around. My son couldn't care less for stuffed animals, yet the collection grows. And GROWS. I bet we get another one for Easter this weekend. *sigh*

citymama
04-08-2009, 04:56 PM
I'm just going to follow you around. My son couldn't care less for stuffed animals, yet the collection grows. And GROWS. I bet we get another one for Easter this weekend. *sigh*

Send 'em to us! DD can't seem to get enough. For my part, I think 4-5 would be enough but she is crazy about these things, especially the ones that look realistic. (i.e. no teddy bears or monkeys please - realistic looking raccoons and penguins and zebras only for her!)

WatchingThemGrow
04-08-2009, 05:08 PM
I wish this didn't come home with us yesterday. Of course, all the turtles and turkeys and other interesting realistic animals at Build A Bear, DD went back to this pink monkey (http://www.buildabear.com/shop/productdetail.aspx?ProductSKU=14311&Category=wild&CallingPage=ProductSummary) time and time again. Could grandma really deny her? Of course not!

The Review Mommy
04-08-2009, 05:19 PM
Lol! My Dad made a surprise visit yesterday and gave the twins some easter stuffed animals! Just some random ones from the grocery store. Our problem is that they do enjoy them so its an easy gift for everyone to give lol!!! DD has been carrying both in her hands while still being able to perform her constant aerobatics! Climbing the walls and such. ;)

kayte
04-08-2009, 08:16 PM
Color Wonder products--markers and paint. Why not use regular art supplies? And the paint seemed so greasy--yuck.

KrisM
04-08-2009, 08:38 PM
Color Wonder products--markers and paint. Why not use regular art supplies? And the paint seemed so greasy--yuck.

I like these for the car. I am not ready to have marker on the carseats or car's seats, or DS2 :). The paints are greasy, but the markers are nice.

love_a_latte
04-08-2009, 08:50 PM

We went through a phase where we used the coloring books and markers as a phase into nap tool. DD would color all over her room if she had regular markers there unsupervised, but with the Color Wonder she would just color until she fell asleep. We tried them in the car, but as she gets older she is getting more and more prone to car sickness-so coloring is not such a good idea.

vonfirmath
04-09-2009, 09:50 AM
My friends used the Color Wonders at church for their son to color without making a mess. So much less tempting to color in the hymnals when it DOESN'T work. (Dad was an associate pastor so they were at church a long time)

ellies mom
04-09-2009, 01:28 PM
The only "art" item that stained my daughter's clothing (other than a sharpie) was color wonder fingerpaints. She got some on one of my favorite shirts of hers and I could never get the spot out. I hate the stuff.

DrSally
04-09-2009, 01:32 PM
The only "art" item that stained my daughter's clothing (other than a sharpie) was color wonder fingerpaints. She got some on one of my favorite shirts of hers and I could never get the spot out. I hate the stuff.

I bought some that DS hasn't used yet. I didn't know it was possible for colorwonder to stain?! Thanks for the heads up. I guess he'll be playing that in his "art clothes'

brittone2
04-09-2009, 04:04 PM
I bought some that DS hasn't used yet. I didn't know it was possible for colorwonder to stain?! Thanks for the heads up. I guess he'll be playing that in his "art clothes'

Years ago before DS was old enough to get into colorwonder, we had dinner at his boss's home. THey had a very rambunctious 2 or 3 year old at the time. They let him have pretty free reign w/ the color wonder stuff, and it got on their table. And would *not* come off. She said that she called the company, and they said something like...oh, on certain finishes of furniture, it may stain. :irked: She was pretty ticked as she had no idea that was possible, hence the reason they had the things and were letting him use them pretty freely.

That said, this was a number of years ago and I have *no* idea if that's the case with the newer formulations.

s7714
04-09-2009, 07:47 PM

The paint I agree is nasty, but my DDs LOVE the markers. I think they like the magical aspect of watching the images and colors appear more than anything.

DrSally
04-09-2009, 09:09 PM
Oh boy, I guess I'm not even going to open the colorwonder fingerpaints. DS does love the markers and they've been fine.