PDA

View Full Version : MIL is coming and so is AF

hillview
04-05-2009, 09:14 PM
So ... MIL is a piece of work. She lives in the UK and we see her 2x a year so I REALLY try. She is very difficult even when I don't get AF. Both should arrive tomorrow.

For your entertainment:
DH told MIL we were going to a circus, she asked if there were going to be animals, answer was no, she said it wasn't a real circus

Italy was ruined for her b/c the teakettle there wasn't any good.

She hated dinner at the waldorf astoria because there weren't enough veggies.

She told me NEVER to get SIL another cashmere sweater -- it is a "horrible" fabric.

Wish me luck!
/hillary

infomama
04-05-2009, 09:26 PM
Oh my, she sounds like a real treat.....good luck!

Twoboos
04-05-2009, 09:31 PM
Oh no! Sounds horrible - double punishment.

Y'know... you don't look well, I think you might have to go to bed early for a few nights. Like, at the same time as DC. :wink2: With some chocolate you've hidden.

Good Luck!

niccig
04-05-2009, 09:32 PM
Y'know... you don't look well, I think you might have to go to bed early for a few nights. Like, at the same time as DC. :wink2: With some chocolate you've hidden.

and with a bottle of wine...

Twoboos
04-05-2009, 09:35 PM
and with a bottle of wine...

Ohhh yes. Don't forget to have the opener handy - the sound of a breaking bottle might attract attention!!

lizajane
04-05-2009, 09:48 PM
i am so sorry for you, but i must say, your post's title made me laugh aloud!!

LarsMal
04-05-2009, 09:54 PM
Which one will be packing their bags and leaving first- hopefully MIL!!!

Good luck!

hillview
04-05-2009, 10:09 PM
MIL will be here a FULL 10 days. AF is more of a 7 day sort of gal. Thanks everyone! SIGH. I am SO not excited. And I DO try to be for DSs "guess who is coming!" ARGH.

At our wedding, when we paid for the wedding AND her hotel, she asked to be moved to another hotel -- she didn't like the view. DH did it (but he does get the joke to some extent -- more of a pick your battles sort of thing). Can you tell how my 10 days will go?

ETA: Oh and DH was raised in the UK equivalent of a housing project with govt coupons for school lunch etc -- no idea how his mom is like this!
/hillary

specialp
04-06-2009, 12:11 AM
i am so sorry for you, but i must say, your post's title made me laugh aloud!!

I know! Me, too! It's like the 2 evil witches are coming to town.

MCsMom
04-06-2009, 03:10 AM
Good luck to you!
I feel your pain.
Keep the wine handy. You might need something a little stronger, like vodka.
That line about the circus cracked me up, girl!

tnrnchick74
04-06-2009, 03:47 AM
You need LOTS of twisty straws as well. And for this occassion I will cede to encouraging twist off tops on the wine bottle as they don't make as much noise and you can hide the bottles in your room...share with DH if you must as it sounds like he might need some as well!

And make sure the kiddos are good and dirty when they jump all over grandma!

maestramommy
04-06-2009, 07:29 AM
ETA: Oh and DH was raised in the UK equivalent of a housing project with govt coupons for school lunch etc -- no idea how his mom is like this!
/hillary

This reminds me of when I was reading "Angela's Ashes." in the book the grown author's mom comes to visit him in the states, and complains the whole time about things like the tea is bad because it comes in little bags instead of looseleaf :p

hillview
04-06-2009, 09:40 AM
She is famous for lines like:
"Winston Churchill, [turning to me] have you heard of him?"

SIGH. They will be here in 7 hrs!
/hillary

lizajane
04-06-2009, 10:17 AM

/hillary

who is winston churchill??

(JUST KIDDING!)

niccig
04-06-2009, 01:34 PM

/hillary

Now that is just rude. She's thinking that because you are American, you don't know world history. I run into this sometimes with my family too. Another pet peeve of mine, is when people say "You Americans" like everyone is one united bloc. My mother does this to DH. It doesn't annoy him, but it annoys the beegeebees out of me. DH says to let it go, instead I confront her with stereotypes of Australians at which she gets offended because she's not like that.... And we're visiting her in 3 weeks...where is that vodka, can I start drinking NOW...

hillview
04-06-2009, 03:14 PM
Now that is just rude. She's thinking that because you are American, you don't know world history. I run into this sometimes with my family too. Another pet peeve of mine, is when people say "You Americans" like everyone is one united bloc. My mother does this to DH. It doesn't annoy him, but it annoys the beegeebees out of me. DH says to let it go, instead I confront her with stereotypes of Australians at which she gets offended because she's not like that.... And we're visiting her in 3 weeks...where is that vodka, can I start drinking NOW...

Lucky us.

Ok 2 hrs. Trying to breathe. Wish the visits were at the same time and you lived close -- we could meet at a bar!
/hillary

niccig
04-06-2009, 03:21 PM
Lucky us.

Ok 2 hrs. Trying to breathe. Wish the visits were at the same time and you lived close -- we could meet at a bar!
/hillary

In 2 hours, I will be opening a bottle of wine in your honour.

MamaMolly
04-06-2009, 04:51 PM
One hour to go and that POP you hear will be the simultanious uncorking of support for you, my dear.

Double dog dare you to out do her. Things like: "Big bird...do you know who that is?" Or if you really, *really*, REALLY want to have fun start agreeing with her and take it up a notch. So when she comments about the circus tell her she's right, then go off on a rant about the animal-less circus. When the teapot is the wrong one, pitch a fit then pitch the teapot across the room.

Let her be the one exasperated and embarrassed for once. (btw my FIL is just like her. Blech!)

hellokitty
04-06-2009, 05:31 PM
Oh geez, your mil sounds like a gem. :thumbsdown: You have my sympathy, if my mil lived far away enough to have to visit, I would be in the same boat as you. I hope your DH is taking time off to entertain his mother, b/c it would REALLY suck if he thinks that you should have to put up with her lovely personality for an extended visit, while he gets to escape at work.

niccig
04-07-2009, 11:49 PM
Double dog dare you to out do her. Things like: "Big bird...do you know who that is?" Or if you really, *really*, REALLY want to have fun start agreeing with her and take it up a notch. So when she comments about the circus tell her she's right, then go off on a rant about the animal-less circus. When the teapot is the wrong one, pitch a fit then pitch the teapot across the room.

Let her be the one exasperated and embarrassed for once. (btw my FIL is just like her. Blech!)

I like this. Start a conversation about a famous American, say Washington or JFK. Then pause, turn to her and say "You do know JFK don't you?" Then if she comments, tell her that you were not sure how much American history she knows. I would also agree with all of her complaints..."you're so right", "it's just ridiculous isn't it" etc etc. It will have to take the wind out of her, what fun is it to complain if the person agrees with you...

Anway, I hope you are surviving. I'm having another glass of wine for you..

MCsMom
04-09-2009, 01:09 AM
BTW, Trader Joe's has these AWESOME 70% cacao Belgian non-pareils.
No MIL coming for me but I still had that chocolate LOL