PDA

View Full Version : Should have used the caller ID technology this morning - crazy IL rant

belovedgandp
04-06-2009, 09:16 AM
Ok, 7:15 this morning which is borderline obscene for our house, Grandma-IL calls. There was no way this could be good, but DH was in the shower, so I put on a happy face and answered. She's upset and let me know it and quite honestly she has every right to be and I could throttle MIL and/or FIL right now, but they're 2 1/2 hours away.

ILs wedding anniversary was this weekend. DH and one brother throw together a lunch for them followed by egg hunt for grandkids and cake. There are 6 adult children and their families to bring together for this. Fortunately, we do this two or three times a year. Yes, the planning was somewhat last minute, but all the tine details were confirmed and communicated over 10 days before the event.

Brother calls grandma 2 weeks early to confirm she's free that day, but we didn't know if it was going to be lunch or dinner. When details are confirmed asks MIL to confirm with and to pick-up grandma. Ok, our mistake for not specifically calling with the exact details back to grandma, but FIL eats lunch with her every single day. We live 2 1/2 hours away and talk every few weeks.

FIL and MIL show up at lunch without Grandma. When asked where she is, MIL says "she's had plans for weeks." Um, yeah, sounded fishy at the time. Sure enough, they didn't call grandma with the specific plans until 30 minutes before they needed to pick her up. One of her nieces had called earlier in the morning to take her out.

Now grandma is upset and calling all of us. The woman is 94 and rarely gets a chance to see all her grandkids and great-grandkids in one place. Trust me there are plenty of times the woman drives me batty, but I cut her some slack. I know MIL was busted when she pulled out the lie on Saturday.

DH and his one brother who attempt these family shindigs do it mostly because of grandma. We've written off his parents a while ago. Ugh, it is just not how I wanted to start my Monday morning.

MamaMolly
04-06-2009, 05:10 PM
Urgh, I hate those early morning phone calls. Nothing good comes from them. Blech! I'm also sorry that Grandma missed out on the fun. Hopefully the IL's will pull their heads from a dark place and step up next time.

gatorsmom
04-06-2009, 05:12 PM
Ugh, I hate getting those calls almost as much as I hate the, "I've got bad news" calls from the ILs or relatives. Hope the rest of your day goes better.