PDA

View Full Version : Using stroller bassinet for sleeping indoors?

glisten
04-06-2009, 02:00 PM
I'm a city dweller and plan to buy one of the "urban" strollers with a detachable bassinet. I wanted to use the bassinet in our house for the first few months for the baby to sleep in. Problem is I was told that the only bassinet that is certified safe for unsupervised sleeping is the Cameleon, and it's so expensive. Can anyone provide more information on this?

TIA

WatchingThemGrow
04-06-2009, 02:11 PM
I can confirm that the Cameleon is expensive, and that it is convenient for the baby to use it indoors as a bassinet. We're getting ready to do it for the 3rd time this summer 2-3 months at a time. Absolutely love, love, love the stroller. Worth every penny to us. The different configurations, especially with the wheeled board have been so useful. Glad we didn't have to try out 10 other single strollers along the way.

edurnemk
04-06-2009, 02:42 PM
The UPPAbaby Vista can be used indoors as well. I think the Quinny Buzz bassinet could be used too. A lot of manufacturers will say not to use it for sleeping because of liability issues, but a lot of them are fine for that. I used the Vista bassinet a lot of times and I know several friends who did the same with other brands.
Some bassinets will not stand on their own so thay have to stay on the stroller frame, I think that's what they mean with the Cameleon bassinet versus say, the Frog. The Vista bassinet does stand on its own.
Just check that the bassinet you want is sturdy, and deep enough (as deep as a sleeping bassinet) and has a good mattress.

AnnieW625
04-07-2009, 02:45 PM
The UPPAbaby Vista can be used indoors as well. I think the Quinny Buzz bassinet could be used too. A lot of manufacturers will say not to use it for sleeping because of liability issues, but a lot of them are fine for that. I used the Vista bassinet a lot of times and I know several friends who did the same with other brands.
Some bassinets will not stand on their own so thay have to stay on the stroller frame, I think that's what they mean with the Cameleon bassinet versus say, the Frog. The Vista bassinet does stand on its own.
Just check that the bassinet you want is sturdy, and deep enough (as deep as a sleeping bassinet) and has a good mattress.

Kind of a silly question, but for the Vista when using it as a bassinet do you take the wheels off of the stroller or leave them on with the brake?

edurnemk
04-07-2009, 03:18 PM
You leave the wheels on, as well as with any other stroller. I've never tried using it without wheels, I don't know if it'd be stable. I know there's one brand that sells a separate bassinet base, but I can't remember which one it is.
I've also used it by taking it off the stroller frame and placing on the floor.

Kind of a silly question, but for the Vista when using it as a bassinet do you take the wheels off of the stroller or leave them on with the brake?

AnnieW625
04-07-2009, 04:32 PM
that's what I thought. I'd keep it on the stroller esp. if it was sleeping next to me at night. I am such a klutz when I am sleeping that I'd be afraid I'd get out of bed and put my feet in the thing!

codex57
04-07-2009, 05:11 PM
We only used the bassinet indoors. It was great cuz it was like a moveable moses basket. You could either rock the baby by pushing the stroller back and forth, or just drag it around with you in case you needed to go to another room. Very convenient.

This was the Bugaboo, but I imagine it'd be the same for any other stroller with the bassinet feature. The included mattress on the Bug is quite comfy tho. Not sure how the other ones are.

purple
04-08-2009, 11:24 AM
Does the Chameleon actually say it is approved for night sleeping -- i.e. safe for SIDS? I agree with PP that most companies won't make that statement because of liability issues. I use the Vista bassinet for day time naps (on the floor, without the stroller) and it is perfect because you can just pick the whole thing up and move it from room to room. I personally don't use it at night, but I've read many others say they do. (The only downside maybe is that it may not be built for as much air flow as a typical crib or bassinet perhaps?).

Also, keep in mind that with the Chameleon you have to switch the fabric cover between the bassinet and the regular seat (at least that was the case in older models, not sure if thats been improved). That may not be an issue if you don't plan to use the regular stroller seat until well after you stop using the bassinet, but it could be a hassle if there is an overlap in time. The Vista (and I think the Quinny) comes with a fully separate bassinet, so does not have that same issue.

scorpion509
04-11-2009, 06:11 PM
With my DS I used the cameleon as day time sleeping and at night DS slept in the bassinet and he LOVES his stroller.