PDA

View Full Version : stroller for snow

tamar
04-06-2009, 09:28 PM
We're moving to the midwest this summer. Do I need to replace my Maclaren with a jogger or other heavier-type stroller that would work better in the snow? What features should I look for in a stoller that would work in bad weather? Or, are the sidewalks shoveled well enough that I don't need to worry about it?

Thanks!

purpelina
04-06-2009, 10:33 PM
Someone from the area will answer you better than me, but still I'll throw in my suggestion: DON'T get rid of Maclaren. You may need to buy an additional stroller, but keep the Mac. First, it doesn't snow all year round, second, when weather is bad but you want to get out of the house, where do you go? To a mall! I lived in Iowa for a while, and at times life consists of driving, then walking at a shoping center, especially when it's WINDY outside. I didn't pay attention to strollers at that time, but whenever I saw a stroller it was a lightweight umbrella type. So you will use the Mac quite a lot. You might even wait till you move and than ask around what ppl use.

huskermama77
04-06-2009, 10:49 PM
I live in the midwest (Chicago suburbs) and I rarely have a stroller out in the snow. I don't go on walks in the snow, so it is usually just going from the car to wherever I am going (doctor's office, mall, etc.) and the parking lots/sidewalks are usually pretty well shoveled.

MamaBear
04-06-2009, 11:16 PM
We spent a winter in Toronto, and it was an exceptionally snowy year. We'd just moved back from Europe, where I'd found Bugaboo snow tires. With those, my Cameleon could go everywhere! Steering is harder (they don't really swivel, and work best when locked to not swivel at all), but meant I could get out when otherwise I'd have been housebound, so it was a fair trade :bouncy:

A friend of a friend lives waaay north (Canada's Arctic) and said everyone up there uses Chariots. They're enclosed, have big wheels (in some kits, like the jogging kit), and there's even a ski kit available.

MCsMom
04-07-2009, 12:24 AM
IL's live in Northern New Jersey and we used our BOB in the snow there.
We have the one with the polymer wheels and it was great.
I did get this cover called Warm As A Lamb that encloses the entire stroller so I didn't have to bundle DD up too much. The cover is lined with fleece, there is a window so you can see your DC and there are vents in the side for air circulation. I LOVE that thing!
Hope this helps...

ThreeofUs
04-07-2009, 07:55 AM
We stroller in the snow daily on dog walks. If this is what you're going to be doing, get a BOB. If you're just talking about parking lot to store/office/etc., don't worry about it. Midwestern cities are MUCH better about snow management and removal than B'more. (I used to live there, so I'm talking from experience.)

arivecchi
04-07-2009, 10:40 AM
I live in Chicago (city itself not burbs so we walk a lot) and use a Valco Trimode in the snow. That stroller can plow through anything! My husband has pushed it in over a foot of snow. We also have a Mac Triumph which we use a lot in the summer, for car trips and air travel.

arivecchi
04-07-2009, 10:42 AM
I forgot to mention that in terms of the cold weather, the Valco is great. We use it with a footmuff and the rain cover that comes with it and my son is super warm in there, even in below zero temps. You can't really use the Mac in super cold weather because the fabric will not shield your DC.

edurnemk
04-07-2009, 02:27 PM
I live in Chicago and I have an UPPAbaby Vista, not exactly AT but it works great in the snow. We walk more than drive. I used to have a Graco and I'd get stuck in the snow or ice, but I've plowed through a foot of snow with my Vista. The wheels are filled with foam instead of air, so it's a little bumpier than an AT, but still pretty decent. I got this one instead of the Bugaboo because the front tires are bigger son I wouldn't have to get a separate set of snow tires. If the snow is too deep I just lock them.

Although the sidewalks have to be shoveled by law within 24 hours of a snowfall, you still find snowy patches and it tends to accumulate on street crossings and parking lots and get all slushy, also icy sidewalks are a killer. So if you think you'll walk a lot it's worth getting an AT or a somewhat AT, in addition to the Mac (I agree with a pp, don't get rid of it, it's what we use for air travel since AT's are much heavier and bulky). During the summer you''l also get a lot of use out of it if you like to walk.

I'd say some of the most popular strollers around here are the Bugaboo Cameleon and the BOB, I see them on the street all the time. The Quinny Buzz and the Vista are becoming more common as well.

To bundle up my DS I use the Bundle Me, since UPPAbaby doesn't make a footmuff and if it's too cold or windy I put the rain shield on the stroller. And of course a warm snow suit or jacket, hat and mittens. Oh, and good gloves for you, since you'll feel you're hands are about to fall off after pushing the stroller for a few blocks.