PDA

View Full Version : Why I Currently Hate BRU

Indianamom2
04-06-2009, 10:36 PM
Let me start at the beginning, being as brief as possible: The Jardine crib we purchased for DD #1 about 5 years ago was recalled. I got a voucher for a new crib, which absolutely had to be purchased at BRU, for $219. Other than the Jardine brand cribs and a few other not-so-great quality cribs, absolutely nothing was that price or less.

Fast forward: I made my peace with having to pay extra for a new crib. I did my research. For the money and given the options in front of me, I decided on buying the Baby Cache Heritage Lifetime crib, at the sticker price of $399. I knew I would also be purchasing the bed rails.

I have waited....and waited...and waited for a coupon that would work on cribs and finally a darling lady from these boards sent me one that expires on April 9th. I was all set.

Today: I go in, sit at the desk and attempt to order my crib. I am told there are none in the warehouse, none in any local (think 100 miles or so radius) stores and I would have to special order one. My coupon would not work on special orders. It would take at least 10-12 weeks (the guy actually advised me to pick out something else!) and I am currently just about 27 weeks pregnant.

So I ask if it is available online. It was, I could use my coupon for 15% off, but then there's the little matter of shipping. It was going to cost $130 to ship the crib, completely negating the coupon and then quite a bit.

I call my local BRU and speak with a manager. I explain about the recall, about the voucher, about the crib not being in stock....and ask if the shipping can be refunded (I think something about the voucher program had mentioned this). She said, "I don't know." YOU'RE THE MANAGER!! IF YOU DON'T KNOW, WHO WILL?? Then she gets back on the line and tells me that they just got a shipment in that afternoon (I was in the store around 12:00 pm). So I tell her I'll be back this evening.

This evening: I go in, sit at the desk and attempt to order the crib. The girl (a different person, of course) brings the tag from the crib over and shows it to me. It says "This item is temporarily unavailable." I nearly lose my mind. I ask how this can be possible, given that I spoke with the manager at 3:00 pm this afternoon and she said they had just come in. The girl finally looks it up on the computer and discovers that there are a couple still left in stock. She starts ordering the crib.

This is when I notice the price tag. At noon today (and every single other time I've seen the crib, in the store or online) the non-sale price has been $399. At 8:00pm, the price is now listed at $429. I literally lose my mind. I ask if this is the price. The girl says yes. I tell her to get the manager. I explain to them both why I extremely frustrated at this whole (racket) process and how I am not paying $429 when, through no fault of my own, the price suddenly went up $20 since noon. I am seriously ticked.

They can tell. They agree to lower the price. (How big of them.)

Then I order the bed rails. For every other convertible crib kit, the price has been around $60. The girl tells me, "That will be $129 for the rails and they will take about 12 weeks to come in."

*^#&#*@^@*#&#^#^#*&&*@&!^@&*!!

Granted, when all is said and done, I ended up paying around $130 for the crib and $140 for the rails. It doesn't sound bad, but I so dearly despise this whole process at Babies r Us right now.

And heaven help them if, when the crib arrives, something is missing or damaged. They will not know fury like mine!

(and did I mention that this crib apparently will not fit in the back of the minivan and we'll need to rent/borrow a truck to get it home?)

I'm done now.

Christina

shawnandangel
04-06-2009, 11:18 PM
Oh wow. That's all. Just wow. Glad everything *seems* to be straightened out! I hope it comes in just perfect for you!

alrusso
04-06-2009, 11:33 PM
I feel your pain! I had a horrible experience with BRU when I purchased my nursery furniture. I won't go into the whole story, but suffice it to say that my husband refuses to ever purchase anything from them again. Good luck with the bed rails coming in on time...that was a big part of the problem I had with them. They assure you that an item will arrive in a specific amount of time and then they never show up.

On the positive side, at least you won't need the rails for a while! Congratulations on your upcoming bundle of joy.

Angela
mommy to Zachary (11/11/08)

MCsMom
04-07-2009, 12:29 AM
BRU's service is the WORST!
I sympathize.
This is why I go to Buy Buy Baby.
They need to open more of them...

mommylamb
04-07-2009, 09:27 AM
I totally sympathize. I hate BRU. There is one less than 5 minutes from my house, but I always go a little further over to the Buy Buy Baby because their customer service is fantastic. Plus, they always accept all BRU coupons and they take those 20% off coupons from bed bath and beyond that come in the mail all the time (it's their parent company). If you have a Buy Buy Baby anywhere in the vicinity, you should go (though you're kind of stuck with the crib at BRU because of the voucher). Sorry. Really frustrating. Hate BRU.

Indianamom2
04-07-2009, 09:46 AM
I wish we had other viable options. I never had a huge problem with BRU before this whole recall mess, but they have proven, in the way they bargained with Jardine, that they are in this for themselves, not for customer service. If I had anywhere else to choose from, I would go there.

Locally (or even remotely close) the only other baby store we have is Baby Depot, which has issues of its own. Some other options are VERY expensive boutique stores, and I just can't spend that kind of money.

I'm not overly concerned about the bed rails at this point. As long as they come sometime reasonably soon, I'll be okay with that. I'm much more concerned about the crib coming damaged or missing pieces.

UGH!

Christina

fivi2
04-07-2009, 09:49 AM
Sorry! I, too, hate BRUS after a bad experience involving lots of yelling. They are awful - I will never shop there.

Momof3Labs
04-07-2009, 11:36 AM
I'm much more concerned about the crib coming damaged or missing pieces.

If that happens, go straight to the manufacturer and bypass BRU. We needed two large replacement parts for our crib and changing table from Sorelle, and had them within a week of calling the mfr. Good thing, because the store where we bought the crib closed its doors, taking everyone's deposits with them, a month or two after we picked up the crib!

gatorsmom
04-07-2009, 01:49 PM
I'm so sorry you are going through this. I hate BRU too. And like you, we don't have a ton of options around here other than BRU and Baby Depot which I avoid as well. We were lucky to have a DirectBuy membership and that's where we got our nursery furniture.

Hope everything works out all right for you.:hug:

lorinick
04-07-2009, 02:04 PM
As a BRU worker for many years part time it gets worse everyday. I'd go to BBB myself but I don't because of the discount. When I started working there customer sevice was great. But if you think not it's only getting worse since TRU took it over in Dec. wow there CS is even worse. Thank god I only work there about 12 hours a week. It's not a fun place to be any longer.

Sorry for all the hell you went through. The price do go up like that. It mostly likely went up a day or even a week before but they were to lazy to change the price. That happens often. Have fun with your new soon to be bundle.

Indianamom2
04-07-2009, 02:53 PM
Thanks, all, for the support. Yesterday was not a fun day.

I'm really considering a letter to BRU (not the particular store, but the overall company) to complain because I feel like I (and all the others affected by the Jardine recall) really got a bad deal.

I would have been fine with BRU making a deal with Jardine for a voucher that had to be used at BRU/TRU for store credit, but I was not happy with it only being good towards the purchase of a crib...most of which are still the Jardine (or comparable quality) brand.

Thanks again, just for reading that long original post. I needed to get it off my chest!

Christina

misshollygolightly
04-07-2009, 07:32 PM
GRRORROROORORORORORRRRRRRRRARRRGH! Sorry. After reading your post, I just had to yell along with you a little bit. How incredibly frustrating!!!!

sharethelove
04-28-2009, 03:50 AM
I feel I have a duty to share my negative feedback about Babies R'Us! Their customer service policies are positively moronic. I purchased some maternity clothing at a BRU store that I tried to return at a different BRU store. The second store wouldn't take it because they didn't have a maternity clothing department. I was 8 months pregnant; the last thing I wanted to do was drive 30 miles to the other BRU store to make a return! This is a store that purports to cater to moms??

Their return policy is also a huge pain. With a new baby at home, who has the time or the energy or the attention span to make sure you return an item within 90 days of purchase (30 days for online purchases!!!)?

mommylamb
04-28-2009, 09:12 AM
One time, I wanted to exchange a halloween outfit my MIL had bought DS in the wrong size. I didn't have a receipt, but it still had the tags on it and it was koala kids (the BRU brand... no one else sells it, so clearly it was from them). All I wanted to do was exchange it for the right size. They wouldn't let me.

MamaMolly
04-28-2009, 11:00 AM
You can do a search on here for my thread regarding BRU and the Jardine recall. It was a dreadful, dreadful experience. But just so you and others know, the shipping IS refunded, it just has to be a separate transaction. If you go the Baby Bargains Blog and search from...I think June-September of 2008 you'll find the thread. I was the *only* person at my local BRU to ask for the refund on shipping (this was several months into the recall), and the Manager had to call corporate to verify that he could do it. There was no.way.in.hell. I was going to pay that shipping!

It was a bad situation that BRU handled in the greediest, most self serving way possible. They created a recall and made MILLIONS off it. They made money by raising the prices on all their cribs, then they charged people shipping because you didn't get it back unless you asked, and most people didn't know to ask. I'm all for consumerism and making a buck, but they had already sold us defective merchandise (meaning they'd *already* made money off it) and rather than rectifying the situation honorably, they went about it in the greediest, sneakiest way possible.

I despise BRU.

Indianamom2
04-28-2009, 03:39 PM
I was just in BRU yesterday, and I happened to walk past the crib we did buy. You know, the one they changed the price on from $399 to $429 in the course of a couple hours in the same day?

Well, less than a month later, the price is back to $399.

Somebody explain that to me! I am SOOOO glad I refused to pay extra.

BRU is really not on my "nice places" list.

Christina

MamaMolly
04-28-2009, 05:27 PM
I strongly urge you to reconsider going there. I thought I needed things I could only find at BRU but since the recall fiasco I have made a point of buying elsewhere or doing without. I'll happily pay shipping for buying online just to not give them my $$$$$.