PDA

View Full Version : 20 freakin' dollars Ikea shipping???

TwinsItIs
04-07-2009, 01:19 AM
Holy moly! I want to order a 20 dollar item (bedding) and they want to charge 20 bucks for shipping! Is there any way to knock off the shipping?

Thanks

AddiesMom
04-07-2009, 06:59 AM
I know! I wanted a twin down-alternative quilt last fall and it was almost $20 to ship. The website showed in stock, so I drove 1.25 hours there to find an empty bin. I whined and moaned they should ship it for free when they get it in and they wouldn't budge. Luckily the manager felt bad for me, went and searched the truck that just came in and found it.

Trust me, sometimes I think the shipping is a bargain since I always spend at least $100 more than I planned when I shop there in person! :)

Suebell
04-07-2009, 08:58 AM
I talked to someone at Ikea about that before and they basically said Ikea concentrates on the stores so they don't have deals with shippers like Amazon does which means crazy high shipping cost. I think that's silly since I would order soooo much even though I live 20 minutes away from one.

I've never ever seen codes for Ikea (again - they aren't interested in drumming up online sales - boo).

TwinsItIs
04-07-2009, 10:32 AM
I know! I wanted a twin down-alternative quilt last fall and it was almost $20 to ship. The website showed in stock, so I drove 1.25 hours there to find an empty bin. I whined and moaned they should ship it for free when they get it in and they wouldn't budge. Luckily the manager felt bad for me, went and searched the truck that just came in and found it.

Trust me, sometimes I think the shipping is a bargain since I always spend at least $100 more than I planned when I shop there in person! :)
I had the same issue yesterday. I went to buy a toddler bed, bedding, curtains etc... They didn't have the bedding in stock even though it said online they have 10. Boo!

I talked to someone at Ikea about that before and they basically said Ikea concentrates on the stores so they don't have deals with shippers like Amazon does which means crazy high shipping cost. I think that's silly since I would order soooo much even though I live 20 minutes away from one.

I've never ever seen codes for Ikea (again - they aren't interested in drumming up online sales - boo).
That's so stupid!

brittone2
04-07-2009, 11:28 AM
Yeah, I think they just don't want to ship. So they sort of jack up the price because it isn't really an integral part of their business model, kwim?

TwinsItIs
04-07-2009, 11:53 AM
Yeah, I think they just don't want to ship. So they sort of jack up the price because it isn't really an integral part of their business model, kwim?

But it's ridiculous because people often live too far from their stores, as well as they don't have everything in stock always. They should at least have a policy (like many other stores) that you can order it in store if it's not in stock for free (or reasonable) shipping costs.

brittone2
04-07-2009, 12:37 PM
But it's ridiculous because people often live too far from their stores, as well as they don't have everything in stock always. They should at least have a policy (like many other stores) that you can order it in store if it's not in stock for free (or reasonable) shipping costs.

Oh, I know. Believe me. Up until the Charlotte store opened here in NC, I went from living 30 mins from one in PA to living 4+ hours from an Ikea here in NC. When Charlotte opened, we were thrilled, and that's still over 2 hours away (sadly).

We paid a crazy amount of $ to have 2 Expedits shipped to us a few years ago when we moved into this house. It was the best solution I could find for what I needed, even with shipping included. It was crazy expensive.

I just don't think their business model is set up for online sales. I'm sure they have their reasons for keeping it that way...it must not be profitable for them to pick and ship orders w/ their setup, so they don't want to bother.

nellonello
04-07-2009, 12:49 PM
I recently tried to order a dresser from them for our guest room. The dresser was $99. With shipping it came to $680!!!! In comparision, our DD crib and dresser shipping through a specialty store only cost $118 to ship. Outrageous!