PDA

View Full Version : How Much to Charge for 4 Days/Night of Childcare?

happymomma
04-08-2009, 10:05 AM
A really good friend of ours is going to be out of town and has asked us to watch their 2 1/2 year old DS. So I'll be watching their DS for 4 days and 4 nights (Wednesday am - Sunday am). She wanted to know how much to pay me for this. I have no idea. I am a SAHM and have never really watched anyone's child before for pay, let alone overnights. I know that when I've used a babysitter, the pay range is $10 - $15 per hour (we live in the DC Metro area). I think that is way too much considering 1) she's a good friend 2) I do love her DS and 3) I will be also with my 2 kids.. So my question is, how much should I say. It will be great for us for me to make a little extra money since we just moved into our new house and their just still a lot that needs to be done. So what would be a fair price?

neeter
04-08-2009, 10:14 AM
We pay about $230 per week for an in home daycare (also in the DC metro area). Since you are watching the child days and nights, maybe $400ish?

shawnandangel
04-08-2009, 10:40 AM
Hmmm since she is a good friend I would probably ask $250.

mamaoftwins
04-08-2009, 10:52 AM
Hmmm since she is a good friend I would probably ask $250.

:yeahthat: I was thinking $250 as well.

stella
04-08-2009, 10:56 AM
I would pay my nanny about $100/day for overnights, so a fair market price might be $4-500, but $250 for a good friend?

TonFirst
04-08-2009, 11:09 AM
Honestly, it would never occur to me to pay/be paid for a good friend to watch my child, or for me to watch their child. To me (this is only my opinion), it would change the dynamic of the friendship pretty distinctly. If any money was involved at all, maybe just enough to cover her child's meals out and any outings you'd do, like to a museum or something (or course, nearly all the museums in D.C. are free, but YKWIM).

I don't know - I view this more as a you-scratch-my-back-I'll-scratch-yours kind of scenario, and rather than exchanging money, I'd be more comfortable exchanging the favor. Extra money is always great, but at the same time, for a good friend I just think it changes the dynamic too much for me to be comfortable with it. I *do* think that a nice thank-you for you and your husband would be in order, though, like a case of wine or a gift card to a nice restaurant and she'll watch your two children (for free, natch) while you're out.

firstbaby
04-08-2009, 11:16 AM
My answer may not be the popular one, but I would probaby go with a bartering system instead of $. Obviously, you have a relationship with this woman and her child, so I would assume you would trust her with your own children. I would probably not take money for helping her, but trade some babysitting time. Yes, it may not buy any house decorations :) but it could help you oraganize your house and get settled.

MamaKath
04-08-2009, 11:31 AM
Honestly, it would never occur to me to pay/be paid for a good friend to watch my child, or for me to watch their child. To me (this is only my opinion), it would change the dynamic of the friendship pretty distinctly. If any money was involved at all, maybe just enough to cover her child's meals out and any outings you'd do, like to a museum or something (or course, nearly all the museums in D.C. are free, but YKWIM).

I don't know - I view this more as a you-scratch-my-back-I'll-scratch-yours kind of scenario, and rather than exchanging money, I'd be more comfortable exchanging the favor. Extra money is always great, but at the same time, for a good friend I just think it changes the dynamic too much for me to be comfortable with it. I *do* think that a nice thank-you for you and your husband would be in order, though, like a case of wine or a gift card to a nice restaurant and she'll watch your two children (for free, natch) while you're out.
:yeahthat: I agree with Tonfirst and Firstbaby. I would feel very odd taking more than just outing money. I probably wouldn't even take that. I would however think she might reciprocate.

nov04
04-08-2009, 11:34 AM
I would love the idea of trading childcare too.

happymomma
04-08-2009, 11:38 AM
I am thinking about trading for childcare. The only thing is that she works full time and I am a SAHM. She is going to a conference and her DH is going out of country. I think they are really busy also (will be selling their house). So if I were to approach her with swapping childcare, she really wouldn't have the time to do it. The other thing is that she would prefer to pay so that she feels like she isn't taking advantage of me. Maybe I'll swap for something else. Like a membership to someplace. She was there for me when I gave birth to my DD. She was a godsend. She didn't want money so I ended up giving her a $250 gift certificate to her favorite restaurant.

JustMe
04-08-2009, 11:50 AM
I would tend to not want to charge anything as well, but if she really says it makes her more comfortable, I would first try letting her decide what she wants to give you (say "I really dojn't want anything, so whatever you feel comfortable with will be fine). If she really seems to want a price than maybe the $250 as others have said. Where I live that would be a lot, though, maybe appropriate for a non-friend, but it sounds like it would make sense where you live.

Corie
04-08-2009, 11:56 AM
Honestly, it would never occur to me to pay/be paid for a good friend to watch my child, or for me to watch their child.

I totally agree! I would never accept money to watch my good friend's child.
It's just something that I would do for a good friend.

ha98ed14
04-08-2009, 12:03 PM
I am thinking about trading for childcare. The only thing is that she works full time and I am a SAHM. She is going to a conference and her DH is going out of country. I think they are really busy also (will be selling their house). So if I were to approach her with swapping childcare, she really wouldn't have the time to do it. The other thing is that she would prefer to pay so that she feels like she isn't taking advantage of me. Maybe I'll swap for something else. Like a membership to someplace. She was there for me when I gave birth to my DD. She was a godsend. She didn't want money so I ended up giving her a $250 gift certificate to her favorite restaurant.

Given all these circumstances and the fact that she asked you what you wanted to be paid, I would take the $250. I agree with PPs that this is a good amount.

FWIW, I am in a smiliar position as your friend. I pay a good friend $30/ day to watch my DD while I go to class. She has said on more than one occasion that I can just pay her whatever I can afford/ think is right. I choose to pay her as close to the going rate as I can because I do not want to feel like I owe her. I know that might sound petty. But really, we are very good friends. But if I just left my DD with her without any kind of payment, *I* would feel like I was taking advantage of her and our friendship. Your friend probably offered to pay you because she knows she cannot reciprocate a favor like that and she does not want to feel like she took advantage of you. Take the money. She offered and you could use it.

trales
04-08-2009, 01:08 PM
FWIW, I am in a smiliar position as your friend. I pay a good friend $30/ day to watch my DD while I go to class. She has said on more than one occasion that I can just pay her whatever I can afford/ think is right. I choose to pay her as close to the going rate as I can because I do not want to feel like I owe her. I know that might sound petty. But really, we are very good friends. But if I just left my DD with her without any kind of payment, *I* would feel like I was taking advantage of her and our friendship. Your friend probably offered to pay you because she knows she cannot reciprocate a favor like that and she does not want to feel like she took advantage of you. Take the money. She offered and you could use it.

This is me also. I love that my friend takes care of DD while I work. I trust her completely. If she did not let me pay her, I would feel as if I were taking advantage of her b/c I was getting paid to be at work. When I am being paid, I pay her. We swap child sitting for doc appts ect.

I think a gift is appropriate for taking care of children during a birth, hospitalization etc. But since she is going on a work thing, it is different.

Just my 2cents.

kijip
04-08-2009, 01:29 PM
Given the situation if I was the one going away with those life particulars, I would insist on paying you. Mainly because reciprocation is not available and because I would not want to owe you. At least $250, likely $300-400.

egoldber
04-08-2009, 01:40 PM
The other thing is that she would prefer to pay so that she feels like she isn't taking advantage of me. Maybe I'll swap for something else. Like a membership to someplace.

If I were her, I would feel the same way. I think just taking the cash is also easier for her (vs a membership or GC). Then you can use it for whatever you like. :) Look at it this way, you're saving her a ton of money (vs an overnight nanny) and greatly putting her mind at ease that her DS will be well cared for.

Momof3Labs
04-08-2009, 01:45 PM

FYI, if I have to travel overnight for business, my employer will reimburse the cost of overnight care (if DH isn't available to care for the kids). They won't reimburse if you pay a family member, but would reimburse if I paid a friend or our nanny. This may be why she prefers to pay you vs. swapping childcare or buying you a gift.