PDA

View Full Version : City Mini: Use it at park?

SomeoneLikeYou
04-08-2009, 10:29 AM
Okay I don't want to get ahead with myself thinking I need a Bob or even a BJCE. I want a stroller that will work perfectly at the mall but can handle a bumpy sidewalk with grace. I also need it to handle bumpy/grassy parks, maybe small rocky paths, and sometimes a little packed sand.

Can the Mini do this??? I see it has suspension in the front.....does this mean it can handle that stuff or is it going to ride more like my Metrolite (but with a killer sunshade)??

SomeoneLikeYou
04-08-2009, 10:49 AM
I want to add.............when I say I want to know if it handles light terrain with grace I mean not just that it gets from point A to B w/o damaging a baby's spine..........I mean does it to it's job bouncily and comfortably. Not jiggly and you feel like the wheels are going to pop off........like how I feel when I hit a few pebbles in my Metrolite.

I mean, it's a Baby JOGGER right? If it's not expressly for jogging, then it at least should be able to navigate some conflict waaaaaaaaay better than a Metrolite, right?

WatchingThemGrow
04-08-2009, 11:36 AM
I dunno...for the tasks you mention, I'd choose my Elite over my Mini any day. I honestly didn't know it had any suspension until I just read it on their website http://babyjogger.com/city_mini_sngl_dtl.aspx
Remember that only the Elite single for 2009 has suspension. The 2008 models didn't have it for some reason.

The if you look at their list of products http://babyjogger.com/joggers_strollers.aspx You'll notice the first 3 are listed as strollers, and the next two are listed as joggers.

Not sure about the sand you want it to navigate, but we had our Mini on vacation this week and used it to haul both kids out to the beach. Getting through the loose sand on the way to the packed stuff was ridiculous. Won't be doing that again... WAAAY prefer the Burley wheels for that. The Elite and Cameleon have been fine, but not the Mini.

HTH!

strollerqueen
04-08-2009, 01:47 PM
You really need bigger air tires for that. There are so many nice ones out, that will make your life so much more pleasant!

SomeoneLikeYou
04-08-2009, 02:23 PM
Okay. Sounds like if I want the benefit of being able to navigate malls and smooth sidewalks *as well as* the beach, dirt roads, and rocky paths, I'll need to let go of the dream of a 17lb AT stroller and get the BOB rev or the City Elite. For our price range and needs these fit very well.........the only need not met really with either is the weight issue.

::::rubs sore arm from picking up the bob today::::

WatchingThemGrow
04-08-2009, 02:30 PM
The BJ Classic is 21 lb compared to the Rev's 23 lbs... But the push on these strollers is totally worth the lift. You'll be pushing it a lot more than you will be doing a dead-lift, trust me.

I find the double BJ strollers to lift a lot more elegantly b/c of the way they fold. They sit upright in my car, whereas the BOB has to lay flat/on the side. I just grab the pull handles in the seat and lift them that way, instead of having to do the multiple step, but way easier than some others, fold.

SomeoneLikeYou
04-08-2009, 02:47 PM
The BJ Classic is 21 lb compared to the Rev's 23 lbs... But the push on these strollers is totally worth the lift. You'll be pushing it a lot more than you will be doing a dead-lift, trust me.

I find the double BJ strollers to lift a lot more elegantly b/c of the way they fold. They sit upright in my car, whereas the BOB has to lay flat/on the side. I just grab the pull handles in the seat and lift them that way, instead of having to do the multiple step, but way easier than some others, fold.

You're right about the BJ fold. And when I really think about it, getting it OUT of the trunk is really never a problem because it's always easier to drag the thing out and then pop it open enough to put a baby in (and then tweak all the little things). It's putting it back IN that is the issue. And an easy fold is key. For instance, I have to collapse my handlebar on my Metrolite or it won't fit in the trunk the way I need it to (long wise) and the only way to do that is to depress the two side button thingys at the same time. Um.........that's not so easy with a kiddo on your hip. If she's in her carseat, fine, but sometimes I just go for a walk around my neighborhood so she was never in her carseat to begin with kwim?

Okay........I think I'm back on board with the Elite. I think that fold will solve our probs. Hubs gets his off-road-ish stroller and I get something I can (barely) lift/maneuver/feel nice strolling about.

MCsMom
04-08-2009, 02:59 PM
The BJCM is Baby Jogger's version of a regular (I would say smooth surface) stroller.
The City Series (CM, CC and CE) are all meant for strolling and the CC and CE have AT wheels.
If you want one of the BJs you should probably go for either the BJCC or the BJCE...

Hope that helps!

MCsMom
04-08-2009, 03:04 PM
SomeoneLikeYou, I have problems getting my BOB into the trunk too LOL

Those BJ folds are great though.

Good luck!