PDA

View Full Version : Conflicting info: Which is lighter BOB Rev AW or BJCE?

SomeoneLikeYou
04-08-2009, 11:28 AM
I could be going slightly blind with all the info and stroller models but I swear I've read in one place that Bob AW was lighter adn in another, that BJCE is the lighter one. Anyone know the real deal??

TIA :)

strollerqueen
04-08-2009, 01:50 PM
BOB is lighter.

WatchingThemGrow
04-08-2009, 02:02 PM
SQ already answered, but I looked it up on their websites...

Bob says 22 lbs for the AW (w/o any parent console or carseat adapter to make it work from birth) http://www.bobgear.com/strollers/stroller_accessories.php?product_id=5

BJ says 24 lb for the Elite http://babyjogger.com/PDFs/Comparison_chart.pdf

and 21 lbs for the Classic, which would be more comparable to the BOB in some respects.

SomeoneLikeYou
04-08-2009, 02:14 PM
Well I just had the opp to see a BOB in person and OMG is it heav-EE!!! I just don't know if I'm going to be able to choose either at this point due to the weight. I want one I can do one-handed and it just wasn't going to work :(

I guess I'm back to the City Mini again...............don't know that my roller blading, jogging, active husband is going to love htat idea though.............

strollerqueen
04-09-2009, 01:00 PM
Not sure if those figures are correct. People in Strollerland have weighed their BJ's much heavier. One girl even weighed her double Elite at 45 pounds! I don't think BJ says it weighs that much. I weighed one the first versions, which would now be the single Classic, at 24 pounds.

purpelina
04-09-2009, 07:20 PM
Here is the deal:
BJ website does say that city classic weighs 21 lbs, but this is NOT TRUE, and some sites already corrected this info. The box my bjcs was shipped in weighed something like 31. BJ is definitely heavier than regular bob, plus bob AW (also called bob 12) is even 1 lb lighter than the regular bob.

Now, when both strollers (bob and bj) are folded you hold them by the little handle, and baby joggers' handle is wider, plus feels padded, the stroller is more compact when closed, and you don't feel all the weight that much, unless you have to lift it all the way up or something. Bob also has a handle to hold on to when stroller is closed, but it is thin and not covered with fabric like bj's, so it's kind of cutting into your hand when you hold it for a minute, so it "feels" as if the stroller is heavier. Plus it's not as compact when closed (reminds me of a broken chaise-long :) he-he). That's why you might not believe it's actualy 22lbs or so. Baby jogger is AT LEAST 24, like sq said, might be even heavier than that, I just feel too lazy to go and weigh it.

But both bj and bob push and steer very easy.

SomeoneLikeYou
04-09-2009, 08:54 PM
Here is the deal:
BJ website does say that city classic weighs 21 lbs, but this is NOT TRUE, and some sites already corrected this info. The box my bjcs was shipped in weighed something like 31. BJ is definitely heavier than regular bob, plus bob AW (also called bob 12) is even 1 lb lighter than the regular bob.

Now, when both strollers (bob and bj) are folded you hold them by the little handle, and baby joggers' handle is wider, plus feels padded, the stroller is more compact when closed, and you don't feel all the weight that much, unless you have to lift it all the way up or something. Bob also has a handle to hold on to when stroller is closed, but it is thin and not covered with fabric like bj's, so it's kind of cutting into your hand when you hold it for a minute, so it "feels" as if the stroller is heavier. Plus it's not as compact when closed (reminds me of a broken chaise-long :) he-he). That's why you might not believe it's actualy 22lbs or so. Baby jogger is AT LEAST 24, like sq said, might be even heavier than that, I just feel too lazy to go and weigh it.

While I have yet to see any BJ stroller in person I have seen the Bob AW. And Purple, you are right......that strap was horrible to hold it up by. It just gives zero leverage. I kept thinking to myself how is it I can bend down and scoop up my 22lb kiddo with one swooping arm and lift her safely and yet not be able to get the BOB off the floor with that strap thing!

WatchingThemGrow
04-09-2009, 09:10 PM
Wish I had a scale to weigh the BJCED. I'm curious. Next time it is near someone's house with a scale (not MIL's 'fake weight' scale), we'll weigh it. SQ, did all the people that weighed it come out with that weight, or just one? I just know I stopped lifting it for fear of early labor. Not pg, it doesn't bother me a BIT.

neeleymartin
04-09-2009, 09:28 PM
according to joggingstroller.com

bjce 25 lbs.
bob21.9 lbs.

hth

clb
04-09-2009, 09:49 PM
YIKES!!
I just weighed by 2008 BJCE at 27.5 lbs. I even had DH weigh it too with the same results. My scale only does .5 lbs so it must weight at least 26.5 lbs. I believe that the latest 2009 model is lighter though, right?

codex57
04-09-2009, 10:09 PM
Here is the deal:

That's an excellent point. It doesn't really matter if the actual weight is less if it feels a lot more. The folded size might make a big difference too depending on how much trunk space you have.

SomeoneLikeYou
04-09-2009, 11:01 PM
YIKES!!
I just weighed by 2008 BJCE at 27.5 lbs. I even had DH weigh it too with the same results. My scale only does .5 lbs so it must weight at least 26.5 lbs. I believe that the latest 2009 model is lighter though, right?

Are the ones I'm seeing on BJ's website the 09's? 'Cuz 27.5??? Jesus christ on a bicycle that is heavy!

strollerqueen
04-10-2009, 03:33 AM
YIKES!!

Thank you! See? When you weigh strollers yourself, they will almost always be heavier than what the websites say. We've done this several times with other models in the past, too--i.e. asked everyone to weigh theirs. So, let's do it! Anyone with BJ's, double or single, care to "weigh in" with their weights?

strollerqueen
04-10-2009, 03:43 AM
P.S. When you ask the manufacturers why they list the weights so much less than what we weigh them, they usually say that weight is without the canopy, basket, seat fabric, or even the wheels. Not how anyone would actually ever use them. Although once, one manufacturer (who shall remain nameless) told me, "Of course I lie! Everyone does! If I tell the truth about the weight, it will cost me. And why should I lose sales, while the other guy who is lying is getting the sales?" Interesting way to look at it. Moral of the story...ignore website weights, and ask someone you know to weigh theirs for you.

SomeoneLikeYou
04-10-2009, 06:54 AM
P.S. When you ask the manufacturers why they list the weights so much less than what we weigh them, they usually say that weight is without the canopy, basket, seat fabric, or even the wheels. Not how anyone would actually ever use them. Although once, one manufacturer (who shall remain nameless) told me, "Of course I lie! Everyone does! If I tell the truth about the weight, it will cost me. And why should I lose sales, while the other guy who is lying is getting the sales?" Interesting way to look at it. Moral of the story...ignore website weights, and ask someone you know to weigh theirs for you.

I had NO idea this was a common practice, this lying.

MCsMom
04-10-2009, 08:53 AM
Strollerqueen, thanks for the heads up on the weight issue.
Manufacturers do say that the weight is w/o the canopy etc.
So not surprised about the nameless one who admitted the lies though.
Sheesh.
I know it can be difficult but as much as possible, I try to see IRL at a store first.
That's what made me NOT buy a Bumbleride Flyer. Great concept for me, price was good, cute colors, but the steering is doodoo...

Snow mom
04-10-2009, 10:08 AM
Thank you! See? When you weigh strollers yourself, they will almost always be heavier than what the websites say. We've done this several times with other models in the past, too--i.e. asked everyone to weigh theirs. So, let's do it! Anyone with BJ's, double or single, care to "weigh in" with their weights?

I'll do this later this afternoon. Our BJCE is finally here :boogie::cheerleader1::bighand::yay::applause: Can you tell I'm excited to go pick it up?

codex57
04-10-2009, 12:43 PM

Actually, around here, I see lots of people with stripped Peg seats. No canopy, often no baskets, etc. Kinda weird. Like a naked stroller.