PDA

View Full Version : Tripp Trap safety?

purple
04-08-2009, 01:06 PM
I have some time to make this decision, but after reading all the raves on this board I've been eyeing the Tripp Trap. It seemed like it would be really worth the high price if I bought it early. However, I just came across a bunch of youtube videos that showed the Tripp Trap being dangerous -- a couple showed babies (who sit up higher) pushing of the dining room table and tipping over backwards, and another one climbing right out. I searched but didn't see any discussion of these safety concerns on this board.

I have a pretty active baby, so this is now worrying me. For TT users, did you have this problem? And if this is a problem that is limited to babies (the guy who did the video about the TT tipping over said that he believed the chair was safe for older children, just not babies) at what age would you consider the TT to be safer?

I am somewhat disappointed, because I really had loved the idea of buying one nice chair to use the whole time.

WatchingThemGrow
04-08-2009, 01:10 PM
We had one tipping incident in our Kinderzeat, when I should have just taken DD out of the chair because she was going nuts. I'm probably the only one on here who has had the issue.

There are some extender things that Melaine posted about that would solve that issue totally. We don't use ours full-time until abut 20 mos when the new baby can sit in the Peg high chair at dinner.

brittone2
04-08-2009, 01:19 PM
I liked the Tripp Trapp (well, actually the KZ) because we found it so hard to tip. We never used a booster seat much at home (we do have one at my parents) and we never owned a bumbo, but I think both of those are more likely to tip overall (JMO). A few months ago my 2 year old DD pushed backwards off the table while sitting in a very heavy wooden chair at my parents...in her booster, and fell backwards.

We also have a Kettler Tipp Topp (w/ 3 pt harness) and my dd at 9-10 months old would totally wiggle out of it and *stand* in her high chair. That wasn't a good thing.

I've never used the Tripp Trapp with a young infant. DS got a KZ when he was 15ish months and DD uses it as well (starting around the same age). I can't speak to personal experience w/ using it with a baby, but the 5 pt harness should help.

elliput
04-08-2009, 01:44 PM
Interesting. In both videos, an older model of the chair is featured which does not have a harness. Current models have a harness which when used properly will prevent a child from climbing out.

In the current Tripp Trapp manual one will find this information-
Rugs and tiles
To prevent the Tripp Trapp® high chair from tilting backwards, it has plastic
gliders underneath the legs. Their function is to make the high chair slide
backwards and return to an upright position when lifted from the floor in front.
To make sure that the gliders function as intended, the high chair should be
placed on a surface that doesn’t inhibit it from sliding backwards. That means
that the surface should be level, stable and with a certain hardness.
Carpets and rugs that are soft or with long loose ends that the high chair could
sink into, is an unsuitable surface for your Tripp Trapp® high chair. Uneven floors,
like some tiled floors could be are also an unsuitable surface for your Tripp
Trapp® high chair.
The gliders as well as the floor must be kept clean.
and this
Table
Be aware of the risk that
a big frame under the
table top makes it easier for
children to push their legs
against the table and tilt
backwards. Also note that
Tripp Trapp® is designed for
dining tables 72-76 cm high.

Stokke Tripp Trapp Manual (http://www.stokke-highchair.com/en-us/~/media/C0A53BFD6C5B4F14BFC3F2AC9EA35D60.ashx)

Just with any baby purchase, research needs to be done to make sure the item is compatible with lifestyle/living conditions.

The Review Mommy
04-08-2009, 01:59 PM
Yes, they have the gliders that come with the Tripp Trapp though many owners on this board were suprised to learn just what they were. It came with their chairs but they never put it on. When you receive yours I would just install it with your chair since you have an active child.

purple
04-09-2009, 06:39 PM
Thanks everyone -- good to know that the company has made modifications since the safety concerns were raised.

Neatfreak
04-10-2009, 12:01 AM
That is cool about the gliders. My Tripp Trapp is still on the way ...

But I wanted to say that tipping isn't inherant to the Tripp Trapp. Kids in my family have tipped in boosters and regular chairs ...