PDA

View Full Version : Do you ever feel like YOU might have ADD?

tmarie
04-08-2009, 03:33 PM
Ever since I had my first child I feel like I have what I presume it would feel like to have ADD. My mind always seems to be flying from one direction to the next. I have trouble focusing on my work, but in my head I've been blaming that on the fact I am bored with my profession. My house is never as neat as I want it and it feels like I'm late in getting out birthday cards these days, but our lives are not in utter disarray. I had attributed my disorganization and inability to concentrate like I used to, as being a normal consequence of motherhood. My circumstances aside, do any of you every feel like you experience those symptoms?

I mean, I know a couple of friends who seem to be struggling with the same issues as me, and then I have other friends who are very routine oriented and super organized. Is it just a personality type distinction or something more?

TIA!

tmarie
dd#1 5/05
dd#2 6/08

AngelaS
04-08-2009, 05:07 PM
Um, yeah. All.the.time.

Indianamom2
04-08-2009, 05:09 PM
HA! I'm not laughing at you, I'm completely sympathizing! I ask myself this question at least once a week.

I used to be fairly organized, at least mentally, lately I've forgotten all about close family birthdays, DD's weekly speech therapy, etc. You name it, I feel disorganized about it. This has gotten 10 times worse since getting pregnant again.

I am hoping that this is normal. I look at some of my other friends and marvel at how together everything seems...and wonder what's wrong with me.

Of course, I think I generally "look" together, but oh, if they really knew how disorganized my mind and house are these days....

Christina

MamaKath
04-08-2009, 05:15 PM
I've always been like that but it definitely has gotten worse since kids. Chadd has great tips to help adults with ADD that just about anyone would find helpful.
http://www.chadd.org/

hellokitty
04-08-2009, 05:38 PM
Yeah, I often wonder the same thing. In fact, I feel like my kids have thrown me over the edge, b/c I cannot THINK when they are with me. I remember my parents used to complain that I was a squirmy kid, but I think about how I was as a kid and how MY kids are and I think I was, "normal" and actually pretty well behaved. And I think my kids are abnormally fidgety, but then my DH and BIL are the ones who act a lot like my kids, so I blame it on my DH's gene pool.

tmarie
04-08-2009, 05:53 PM
HA! I'm not laughing at you, I'm completely sympathizing! I ask myself this question at least once a week....I look at some of my other friends and marvel at how together everything seems...and wonder what's wrong with me.

Phew! So glad to hear I'm not alone. :)

Gena
04-08-2009, 07:26 PM
My brother was diagnosed with ADD as an adult. He was always kinda hyper and distracted as a kid, so I wasn't shocked when he was diagnosed around the age of 30. He always had problems with paying attention during conversations, sitting still in movie theaters, and being organized. He also loses things a lot. In med school he got into the habit of checking the lost & found every day, and usually there was something of this there (a hat, a sweater, a notebook) - most of the time he didn't even realize the item was missing. Amazingly, his condition did not cause problems in school when we were kids. Probably because he is gifted and did well in his classes without even trying. Anyway, now as an adult he takes medication for his ADD and it has helped him tremendously.

After DS was diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder, Hubby and I started to realize that there are "shadow traits" in us and other family members.

MamaMolly
04-08-2009, 10:48 PM
Yes! I totally feel like tha...oh look! A chicken!

(a running joke between me and DH. Saw it on a t-shirt. Anyway, I'm NOTORIOUS for my distractability.)

tiapam
04-09-2009, 12:26 AM
I think it can be personality, but you should get your thyroid checked, just in case.

sariana
04-09-2009, 01:37 AM
Ever since I had my first child

This statement alone would indicate that you likely do NOT have ADD. Generally the symptoms have to be present in childhood for a diagnosis to be given. That's what the book I have says, anyway.

I think I likely do have ADD (not H--I'm not hyper at all). I can trace it all the way back to early elementary school now that I know what to look for. I have a book about ADD in adults. I have looked at the checklists and analyzed myself, and, yeah, I'm pretty sure I do.

DS was born 2 months early and thus has had numerous observations and consultations with OTs, PTs, orthopedists, and a neurosurgeon. His neurosurgeon told me that DS does not have autism but likely does have ADHD. But he (the neuro) does not diagnose or work with ADHD, so the diagnosis was not official. Neuro went on to say to me, "I'm not allowed to say this, but you have it too." I was not the least bit surprised that he saw this from only 2 15-minute sessions. I think it is obvious in the way I react to things and the types of questions I ask.

Incidentally, one comment from the book that surprised me was that adults who start medication for AD(H)D often notice a marked improvement in their handwriting. My handwriting is HORRIBLE.

ThreeofUs
04-09-2009, 02:45 AM
I'm with you on disorganization and distractability. But I think my kids have done this to me!

Seriously, I feel like I am constantly over-processing on everything to do with kids, family, house, etc., and so it's really hard for me to concentrate well on anything else. Even if I'm sincerely interested. I'm expecting this to tail off in a few years as DS1 goes to school and DS2 grows. Though maybe "expecting" is the wrong word; maybe what I'm doing is "hoping" and "praying".... ;)

mamaoftwins
04-09-2009, 09:01 AM
Right there with ya! I am so disorganized since kids. Seriously, I was just complaining in the BP about how my home office is a disaster and DH was getting on my nerves about it. I was super-organized before kids (even got complimented on my organizational skills frequently!), and it just makes me crazy now to be like this. I blame it on constant lack of sleep and not having any time to myself. I, too, hope it gets better soon!