PDA

View Full Version : Gift Idea for friends Adoption

lcarlson90
04-08-2009, 04:35 PM
We just found out that our friends are going to be bringing home their baby soon. The baby will be about 13 months old. I am unsure what to buy for them as a gift. All the things I would normally buy for a shower are more for little babies and I would prefer to buy something other than clothes. Any ideas?

mariza
04-08-2009, 05:17 PM
A membership to a local zoo or children's museum would be lots of fun and much appreciated if it is a very close friend (our zoo is $85 for a family membership). If that's too much money maybe a starter book collection or some cool toys. There are some great toy ideas in the "Around the House" board.

misshollygolightly
04-08-2009, 06:32 PM
Diapers in an appropriate size? Wipes? A cute bath set with a hooded towel, wash cloths, and baby bath wash? An infant/baby/toddler first aid kit w/ thermometer, basic meds, etc? Maybe put together a gift basket with a bib, sippy or straw cup, eating utensils, and a couple jars of organic baby food? If they are registered somewhere, you could always just choose something from their registry (if this is their first child, they're surely registered somewhere for things like a highchair, stroller, etc). Another cute gift (depending on the weather where you live) might be to get together some fun summer-time things which could include a sun hat and/or sunglasses for the baby, baby sunblock, a small inflatable baby pool, towel for baby, etc. I also like the pp's suggestions of books or a membership to a local zoo, etc (or even a gift certificate to a photography studio). The parents might also appreciate a gift that is personalized with their new baby's name (a soft blanket, etc.)--sometimes people overlook things like that for adopted babies, but they can be very special keepsakes, I think.

lcarlson90
04-08-2009, 09:53 PM
Thanks for the input ladies. I love the diapers/wipes and basket idea but we have to ship the gift so I think that may not work. I think I may buy them a personalized blanket from PBK.

infomama
04-08-2009, 10:01 PM
Books (I like these that are chew-proof http://www.tybookinc.com/).
Shutterfly gift certificate for a photo book.
Mozart Magic Cube
Hanna moccasins or Pedipeds

let73
04-08-2009, 10:04 PM
My friend at work adopted a little girl recently. Some of us bought her a bunch of books which she greatly appreciated. Good suggestions on here from pp's :)

DrSally
04-08-2009, 10:35 PM
There are some cute adoption storybooks--I love you like crazycakes, and some other ones I can't remember now. Toys, security blanket/stuffed animal, robeez, cute barettes and barette holder (check etsy)...

stillplayswithbarbies
04-11-2009, 08:50 AM
Something from the country or culture (heritage) of the child. A book would be good. If it is a domestic adoption, something from the state of the child's birth, maybe a picture book about that state.