PDA

View Full Version : Room Sharing

MacMacMoo
04-08-2009, 10:04 PM
Are or will your kids share a bedroom? and if yes is it because you wanted them to or because the house was to small to give them their own rooms?

DH and I are thinking long term: musing over if it would be better to have a play room and a shared bedroom or each have their own room.... (the they is currently one DC... DC number two wont happen till next spring/summer)

WatchingThemGrow
04-08-2009, 10:08 PM
We had them in their own rooms for better sleeping and napping, but we'll soon be sharing b/c of space restraints. We have toys in every room of our house, so the "playroom" thing never quite fit.

My neighbor did it until her older one was about 6 or so and wanted to have sleepovers. Her kids loved sharing. Mine do it on vacation, but not for naps.

WitMom
04-08-2009, 10:27 PM
My DDs (4 y.o. and 23 months) share a room currently. They started sharing at our old house, where the layout was 2 BR up and 2 BR down. I wasn't comfortable with one of them on a separate level by themselves, so they shared. Once we moved, and they could each have their own rooms, they still wanted to share and so they do.

It works out okay, but not great. The 1 y.o. goes to bed first, and sometimes the 4 y.o. wakes her up when she goes to bed. Similarly, the 1 y.o. tends to wake up her older sister in the morning. They both can, and do, sleep through a lot of noise etc, but not everything. The other big "problem" is that older DD has a lot of "big kid" toys with small pieces that need to be kept away from younger DD. She doesn't really have her own space for these toys, like she would if she had her own room. It's hard for her to have an opportunity to play with these things without her younger sister around, and it would be nice for her to be able to spread out and play "safely".

I anticipate separating them at some point in the future....when that is, I'm not sure. Right now their room is crowded with a bed and crib and dresser, plus clothes, shoes, books, etc. for 2 people. I anticipate as they get older, it only get more crowded as possessions increase.

billysmommy
04-08-2009, 10:36 PM
DS's (will be 6 and 3 next month) share a room. We only have 2 bedrooms in our house (that's another vent altogether) but they are huge. They each have full-sized beds with a nightstand between them against one wall and then the other side of the room is a play area with 3 bookshelves, a table with 2 chairs, 2 dressers (smaller size) and plenty of floor room to build train tracks.

It's made it much easier because they both sleep through anything!!! Benjamin fell out of bed a couple weeks ago (his bed is just the mattress and box spring on the floor so not too high) and it totally scared him and he was screaming!!! It totally freaked us out ~ but Billy who was sleeping not even 4 feet away didn't even move

Momof3Labs
04-08-2009, 10:57 PM
We have a good-sized house but only 3 bedrooms upstairs. The boys will share and the girls will share.

MMMommy
04-08-2009, 11:56 PM
DDs (14 months apart) share a room with a bunk bed. They had separate rooms until last October, which is when we decided it would be nice to put them in a bunk bed. They love it, and it works out great for us. Space efficient too!

jerseygirl07067
04-09-2009, 12:08 AM
We have a four bedroom house, though smaller in size (1800 square feet). Sammy and Julia had their own rooms and we were trying for #3 for a while and wasn't sure if it would happen. So I knew that if we had #3, we'd have to put them together, since our 4th bedroom already functions as an office/playroom/occasional guestroom.

Well, Sammy started having nightmares a year or so ago, and was afraid to sleep alone. So for the heck of it, I put Julia in her room too, just to see what would happen. It worked well, and she was happy sleeping knowing someone else was in the room with her. So I kept them together.

So about 9 months ago we bought bunk beds that we could separate if need be, or put in a loft/bunk configuration. Well it has worked out well, they are still in the same room and now that we are expecting baby #3, they are already transitioned together, and we can just use Julias old bedroom as the baby room.

I have a friend that has a 3 bedroom house and she sleeps all 3 girls in the same room. They are 7,4, and almost 2. She likes to keep the 3rd bedroom as a guest room since her parents visit often. I know she was trying to sell her house to move into something bigger, but with the market, it wasn't selling, so she took it off the market and plans on staying there for a while. It seems to work well for her.

HTH!

Marcy

baymom
04-09-2009, 12:09 AM
DS and DD share a room and have for years. They are a year and a half apart in age and seem to 'need' each other to sleep. Some nights, they talk to each other, while in bed, until they fall asleep. It's very sweet and I think great for fostering closeness. We live in a 3 bedroom house so they could have their own rooms, but we need the spare room. At some point in the near future, we hope to move to a 4 bedroom, but I doubt that they would sleep in their own rooms. Of course, at some point, they will want some privacy and their own rooms, but I'm not sure when that usually happens.

traciann
04-09-2009, 01:29 AM
We moved from a 3 bedroom house to a 2 bedroom apartment. I had planned all along for dc to share. Now that the baby is here I can't imagine them sharing a room anytime soon. DD (almost 4) is a little too much with the baby, climbing into the crib and such. I also think that the baby needs a place to nap and it would be hard to keep dd out of the room so she could do so. I have moved the crib into our bedroom and just plan to leave it for now. We are only in out room to sleep so its really not a big deal.

salsah
04-09-2009, 01:50 AM
the girls share a room. even if we had the space, i would still want them to share a room. sharing encourages bonding as well various learning opportunities.

JdrKuhnert
04-09-2009, 02:10 AM
My boys (3 &1) share a bedroom. We have the space for them to each have their own room, but decided to put them together for sleeping and use the other rooms for playing and an office. However, number 3 is now on his way and we'll move the older boys into the office and put the baby in the smaller bedroom. My boys didn't start sharing until DS2 was 8 months old. He stayed in our room until he was only waking up for one feeding per night. DS2 goes to bed earlier than DS1 and usually wakes up when DS1 comes to bed. However, it hasn't been a big problem. He falls back asleep and they wake up at about the same time.
They both like sleeping in the same room. I hope that it stays this way because after DS3 is here someone will always have to share.

kijip
04-09-2009, 03:34 AM
For us it is a space issue but even if it was not, I really see the value in sharing a room. And people don't much like to sleep alone. I pretty much always shared with my little brother and we survived.

We have 3 bedrooms but only 2 on the top floor, so sharing once F is old enough is our only practical solution. Luckily T will be old enough for a bunk bed by then (almost 7 since we figure F will be with us for 1 year+)

elephantmeg
04-09-2009, 06:23 AM
We have them in the same room for a couple reasons-there is another bedroom but it's upstairs and I wanted them close to me. BIL and DH shared a room and used the other for a playroom on and off as they grew up-MIL just went with the flow-if they wanted to and could work it out, fine if not she seperated them.

o_mom
04-09-2009, 08:00 AM
We have/had 4 BR upstairs and have DS1 & DS2 sharing, DS3 by himself. I don't want to give up the guest room until at least one or two are old enough that moving rooms when guests come is not a huge upheaval. DS1 is about there at 5.5, but DS2 is not. If we have another, I will probably let DS1 choose if he wants to have his own room or share.

I think room sharing is good for many reasons, but not high on my importance list. I actually would have put them in the same bed, but DH had issues with that.

stella
04-09-2009, 10:44 AM
My 2 ds's (7 and 18 mos) and my dd all sleep in one room. They love it. The room doesn't look so great - one full-sized bed, one crib, and one twin, but the best part is that the other, larger bedroom is their playroom and has great floor space for playing and toys. We have a couch in the playroom, so if somebody is sick or not able to sleep, there is somewhere else to go.

My children love being all together, and as long as they will tolerate each other, I think it's pretty sweet and fosters closeness.

maestramommy
04-09-2009, 02:13 PM
Yes, they are, and yes to both followup questions :p

When Arwyn was born we were living in a 2 bdrm apartment. Arwyn started out sleeping with us, but that became unsustainable at around 6 months. We were waking each other up all night, we had to sneak into our bedroom, Dh had to sneak out at 5am every morning with all of his stuff. Then we went on vacation, and they had to share a room. It worked out well even though Arywn was still nursing at night. So when we got home we put them together permanently. Nowadays Dora naps in another room unless we have guests, but they still sleep in the same room at night.

When #3 is old enough, we're hoping to move her in with the other two.

new_mommy25
04-09-2009, 02:15 PM
My kids are 5 and almost 3. They share a room. We have bunk beds and the oldest sleeps on top. We've had the bunkbeds for about 3-4 months so this is a new situation for us. Prior my DD slept in my bed. We only have 2 bedrooms so the kids have to share. But, I haven't heard a single complaint yet. I thought my DS would be upset when he gave up his bed for the bunk bed but he loves being up high.

LBW
04-09-2009, 02:29 PM
My two older boys share a bedroom. They have bunk beds and love them. They love sharing a room, so even if we had an extra bedroom, they'd still be together.

My youngest (16 months) has his own room, for now. In my dream house, we'd have one huge bedroom with padded walls for all three boys!

Dcclerk
04-09-2009, 03:11 PM
My 2 ds's (7 and 18 mos) and my dd all sleep in one room. They love it. The room doesn't look so great - one full-sized bed, one crib, and one twin, but the best part is that the other, larger bedroom is their playroom and has great floor space for playing and toys. We have a couch in the playroom, so if somebody is sick or not able to sleep, there is somewhere else to go.

My children love being all together, and as long as they will tolerate each other, I think it's pretty sweet and fosters closeness.

This is pretty similar to us, although we have a tiny room and the kids are in a triple bunk. My kiddos can't imagine any other way, either. If only 2 shared, they would honestly feel sorry for the one who got left out. They all love their ugly old bed, and although we will have a bigger space in the not-too-distant future, none want to be by themselves. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if when #4 is ready to be out of our bedroom, they try to push for all 4 in the same room, rather than splitting 2 and 2. I know that some day one or more of them will crave their own space. And I will say that my kids don't nap as much as many other kids and maybe not having their own room has something to do with it, but overall, I really love that they share a room. And so do they.

KrisM
04-09-2009, 03:19 PM
We have 4 bedrooms. Until Saturday, DS1 and DD were sharing, by choice. Then, they both decided they were ready for DD to move to her own room. We moved her Saturday and it's been fine. Mostly it was because DS1 was staying up a bit later wanting to read books and DD wanted the lights out.

I am going to buy them each sleeping bags so they can have sleep overs in each others rooms.

DS2 is currently in our room. When we move him, I am hoping it'll be to either DD's or DS1's room. I'm not ready to give up my office/craft area yet that is in room #4.

brittone2
04-09-2009, 04:10 PM
We have 3BR right now. My house isn't huge but there are a lot of things I like about it. When I look at the price of homes that are the next jump in size, I wonder how much we *really* need more bedrooms, etc.

DD is 2 and still cosleeps. DS is 5 and sleeps in a queen in his room. His room is a nice size (13x15?) so it could definitely accommodate two kids IMO. Both kids have expressed that they would like to share a room. We will see if that happens or not ;) (eta: mostly because we'd have to work through the "sleepover stage" and because DS really likes doing projects, homeschooly stuff, etc. in the privacy of his room at night after DH, DD and I are in bed, and that won't work for me w/ a younger child sharing his room. But they like the idea of sharing a room and always get excited when they see bunkbeds in catalogs like PBK LOL) . Right now we have the 3rd bedroom painted for DD w/ a twin in it, but she's not sleeping in it yet.

I have no idea at this point if we'll have a child #3 in the next few years. At that point the tricky part would be deciding who should share depending on spacing and gender of a mythological #3.

Anyway, in my ideal world they probably wouldn't share, but I am not opposed to sharing and I'm not sure i want to shell out a significantly larger mortgage payment to get another bedroom.

neeleymartin
04-09-2009, 10:02 PM
ds1 and ds2 (due tomorrow) will share a room when they can both sleep in beds (bunks specifically). we have a 3bdrm ranch and technically have the space for them to each have their own, but i like the idea of them sharing.

i have never, not one day even in my whole life, had my own room. i live to see another day. something about sharing a room is super cool in my book. perhaps the reality of it makes me feel that way.

Ceepa
04-09-2009, 10:08 PM
DC have wanted to sleep in the same room so we've been letting them. Every night there's a sleepover. :D When it stops working for everyone we'll revisit the issue.

MamaKath
04-09-2009, 11:39 PM
I am going to buy them each sleeping bags so they can have sleep overs in each others rooms.
Technically my dc have their own rooms. They both like ds's bunkbeds and room though. He says his favorite place in the house is the top bunk, she says hers is the bottom, lol. So sleeping bags have been a great [cheap] investment!

ChefGirl
04-10-2009, 07:53 AM
How long do you guys think DS and DD can share a room? Mine will be 6 and 4 soon. They are close and play together all the time. I was just curious. I'm debating whether to downsize our house to save an extra $10K a year in property taxes. They are all in their own room right now. Just curious.

Thanks.

Melaine
04-10-2009, 08:05 AM
Personally, I am a big fan of room sharing. My girls are sharing because of space and because I think it would be sad to separate them (at least at this point). Growing up I shared a room with my sister 9 years younger and my brothers shared the other room. We had a pretty big house and could've done otherwise but we had a lot of fun together. My sister and I have always been super close and when I left for college it was very hard to leave my little roomie. I'm sure it totally depends on your situation, your home and your kiddos, but I think it is fun to share.....

WatchingThemGrow
04-10-2009, 08:27 AM
How long do you guys think DS and DD can share a room? Mine will be 6 and 4 soon. They are close and play together all the time. I was just curious. I'm debating whether to downsize our house to save an extra $10K a year in property taxes. They are all in their own room right now. Just curious.

Thanks.

My neighbors' kids were together until just after that. I think when the younger started K and the older wanted to have friends sleep over, they decided it was time.

catcombs
04-10-2009, 12:20 PM
I will tell you from my own personal experience - my brother and I shared a room until we were 10 yrs. (we are twins). That worked well for us because that was when I hit puberty and wanted privacy and luckily our oldest brother went away to college so a room freed up.

maestramommy
04-10-2009, 02:13 PM

Thanks.

My sibs and I (3 girls youngest boy) shared a room for some years. I'm pretty sure I was in Jr High when that finally ended, and mainly because we finally had the space. I have friends who've shared a room with their op. gender sib all the way through HS. It could've been a space issue, but they didn't think there was anything odd about it. In fact, the brother wonders why so many families want to buy a house with 4 bdrms so that their kids can have their own room :p

elephantmeg
04-10-2009, 02:22 PM
My brother and I split up when he was 7 and I was 5. He also stopped sharing a bath with me. I was really sad.

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
04-10-2009, 03:30 PM
DS and DD share a room and have for years. They are a year and a half apart in age and seem to 'need' each other to sleep. Some nights, they talk to each other, while in bed, until they fall asleep. It's very sweet and I think great for fostering closeness. We live in a 3 bedroom house so they could have their own rooms, but we need the spare room. At some point in the near future, we hope to move to a 4 bedroom, but I doubt that they would sleep in their own rooms. Of course, at some point, they will want some privacy and their own rooms, but I'm not sure when that usually happens.

Usually when one gets self conscious about their body or becomes modest. When that happens for each child is different.

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
04-10-2009, 03:33 PM

Thanks.

WOW. $10,000 a year in property tax. My house is worth $350,000 ish and our tax is $1,500. Are you on the East Coast? Just curious, wow that seems so high!

bnme
04-10-2009, 03:57 PM
WOW. $10,000 a year in property tax. My house is worth $350,000 ish and our tax is $1,500. Are you on the East Coast? Just curious, wow that seems so high!

Well, I'm in NY and we pay about 8k on our 3 bedroom ranch on 1/3 acre, 1970's construction. And that is considered cheap aound here. It's crazy.

SASM
04-10-2009, 04:30 PM
DDs (4 and 18mos) have shared a room in two homes since the beginning. They share due to space constraints but, honestly, would share even if we did have the extra bedroom. They take their afternoon naps in separate rooms ~ DD1 in their BR and DD2 in her PNP in our master bath. We do have a playroom but still have a fair amount of toys in their room. We've just been creative in trying to keep the smaller "big kid" toys out of DD2's reach. We are currently trying to figure out how to have DD2 in a room with bunk beds as that will be inevitable...UGH!