PDA

View Full Version : Spam me on homeschool resources please.

kijip
04-09-2009, 02:54 AM
Also, what does your day look like with 2 parents involved in home-schooling? How do you break out who teaches what? My assumption is that T would have a lot more open play time than he does now because the basics just don't take up a hour day for him at this point. I also figure on a fair bit of experiential learning like gardening and fishing and journaling about activities and trips.

How does a person who eschewed this option start considering it? :hysterical:

The schools are mass overenrolled here for the gifted options (well in my part of the city for all options). One means going all the way across town limiting his down time at home a fair bit with a bus ride, to say nothing of neighborhood opportunities like t-ball which he really enjoys in the Spring. The others are more local but provide instruction only at 1 grade level above and he has been evaluated at more like 2-4 grade levels ahead depending on the topic and is not slowing down. The kicker is that even though he qualifies we are far from guaranteed a spot in one of these classrooms and the way the neighborhood boundary cuts for us makes it even luckier to get a spot. We will know in May if we get a spot. But even is we did, we are not sure we want it- depends on the teacher and the principal at the site. All we are certain is that we will get a 1st grade seat at his current school if nothing else opens up. Where in the physical building that 1st grade seat will be is currently a total mystery because they are enrolling more kindergarden students than this year and they presently have twice as many kindergartners to promote to 1st grade as they have current 1st grade class rooms. The art room, the science room and the music room becoming classrooms instead is a possibility.

Our thinking is that if we homeschool him he would get to work at his own pace and that he would be able to interact with kids his own age socially through a variety of co-ops and enrichment activities. We are not socially isolated- he has a lot of friends and we have a church community as well. Another thought is that he is really in need of hands on guidance with some of the social and ethical factors of growing up and we would simply have more time to help him become self assured in these areas. It would be an experiment for a year or three and then we could stay with it or he could go to school again. There are more promising options here for the upper grades.

Any thoughts on how you make this work, I appreciate it. Anyone else not plan to homeschool and then end up making the choice after school did not work out for your child?

AngelaS
04-09-2009, 06:46 AM
I never really planned to homeschool until right before it was time for my oldest to start school. I realized that by our location (a new subdivision on the edge of town) that she would go to the old school a mile or so away that was in a lower income neighborhood, fringed by a trailer park and apartments and had the lowest test scores in the city. Since I had a new baby and didn't want to trek across town every day, homeschooling was the best option.

Now we've moved out of that city and 6 years later--we're still homeschooling. :D

I have no idea what a day with two parents homeschooling will look like--other than neither one of you will have to do a lot of the work. :D Lucky you!

I'm teaching a 5th grader and a 1st grader, but for my 1st grader our day generally looks like: Saxon math lesson, then she reads to me from The Ordinary Parent's Guide to Teaching Reading and then often another book or two. Then she plays for a while when I'm doing school with her big sister. Later we'll do Apologia Science and Mystery of History (both are Christian based) as well as some Story of the World. Handwriting is tied into the other subjects. I read aloud to them all before naps. (yep, my 1st grader still gets a daily nap and she generally crashes for a good 90 minutes!)

If we stay on task, with just me teaching, I can have my hands-on teaching part done by about 10 am. We start around 8 (or some days at 7 or 7:30). My big kid needs longer to finish her work after that time, which I then correct and go over it with her during nap time, but my younger one is done when I am. Then we are free to work together on household stuff, other projects or whatever.

You will also have the added perk that with another parent around, you have someone to keep the smaller one occupied while you're teaching. My youngest usually gets one older sister to play with while I work with her other sister or she sits with us and does her school stuff--I have a whole closet full of things she only gets during school time. :D

Good luck on your endeavor. :)

egoldber
04-09-2009, 07:21 AM
I think you would find the forums here very helpful:

http://giftedissues.davidsongifted.org/BB/

Many parents there have turned to homeschooling when the schools provided no good options.

mamicka
04-09-2009, 08:45 AM
Any thoughts on how you make this work, I appreciate it. Anyone else not plan to homeschool and then end up making the choice after school did not work out for your child?

This is us. I've been fascinated by homeschooling for years. But when asked, I would have *always* said, "oh it's totally not for me. Not in a million years." Cut to last Fall - DS1 started K at the public school. He liked it for the most part, but it just became more & more obvious that we were not a public school family. He had some social issues (*not* because of his own immaturity) & his teacher wasn't able to give him any one-on-one time. So we prayed about it took a (for us) wild leap of faith & pulled him out of school a few weeks after Christmas break. We're still ironing-out the kinks & we're just doing it year by year - but none of us has looked back yet. I'm considering having him tested to see if he falls into the gifted category, but I'm not sure if that would help us no matter what the results were.

I don't know how universal our adjustment experience is - but we're still ironing out the kinks & figuring-out the best way to schedule, etc. I think I've just accepted that homeschooling is a learn-as-you-go thing. If what you're doing works, keep it up - if it doesn't, try something new. There are so many curriculum options also - from free to (IMO) reasonable $$. Its been fun figuring out what methodology fits us - I'd say we are a 50/50 with classical & ecclectic.

If I were to advise you, I'd say start seeking-out resources/groups in your area & online as if you were going to start homeschooling over the summer. Try in on for a few months if you can & see how it feels.

I've got to get breakfast for the kids but I'm happy to post more later if you'd like.

Good luck with your decision.

brittone2
04-09-2009, 11:17 AM
Katie-
I would bet that in your area there are some good homeschooling groups. I know in our smaller, crunchy-leaning area there are a few secular HSing groups. In your area I'd bet there are even more.

DS is a little younger than T. For now we keep things pretty light and he's still learning so much. We are not school-at-the-table people. I keep a lot of curriculum options around, and he sort of does them as he's interested. I strew them or offer them as an option, but I don't "require" a certain number of pages per day or week or anything.

During the day, DS does a lot of "play" which often involves gardening, collecting worms, looking up random birds at the bird feeder in his guidebooks. He picks up leaves in the fall and tries to identify them. We sometimes have a fun project like raising butterflies...we're getting ready to do an ant farm, stuff like that is usually around. We have fun materials...DS is getting some Snap Circuits in a few days and I think he'll enjoy that. We're also looking at a USB microscope so both kids can look at things and we can all see it on the computer together. A lot of what DS does looks like "play" but he is obviously learning lots. We just try to keep good materials readily available and so far he's into keeping himself busy. He sort of resists us trying too hard to direct his learning, which of course is veyr understandable. Also, just like anything else, since what he's learning involves what he's actually interested in and driven to learn, he seems to get really into it and he retains it.

We usually spend time during the day reading together, and we keep that varied. Nonfiction, fiction, whatever.

In the evenings he spends a lot of time w/ the neighbors. We have a next door neighbor a little younger than DS, and then another neighbor two doors down 3 weeks older. We have a bunch of other kids from 8-14 who DS considers his friends as well. They come visit regularly, etc. We now have a few HSing friends too. DS is not having any problems at all socially IMO. The kid *loves* people :) He visits his adult friends at the co-op grocery and all over town and talks their ears off LOL.

We are using Singapore math right now for DS's math. I need to order the next level as he's completed the K earlybird books. We play around with stuff like a base 10 set, place value, etc. I just got a bunch of books out of DH's university library on various math games. Cuisinaire has a series of books on cuisinaire rods (obviously), as well as separate books on pattern blocks, tangrams, etc. for K-3. The ones I have were put out in the mid 90s so I'm not sure if they are still in print. I like how these make math meaningful :)

DS does a lot of work on his own at night...like from 9-11 pm. I think he likes the peace and quiet from his 2 year old sister ;) That's actually when he does a lot of learning...he sits in his room w/ his globe, he looks at books, he asks some amazing questions...he writes cards and letters, etc. Somehow he comes up with a million things to do without us really directing it. I imagine T. would find plenty to keep busy if he had the time to explore
:D :thumbsup:

My DH is very involved. He works during the day but spends lots of time w/ DS in the evenings and on weekends. The cool thing w/ HSing is that it doesn't have to take place during "traditional" hours and you get so much flexibility. In the future I know DH will be the one more into teaching chemistry/physics and I'll be the one more into teaching biology/anatomy, etc.

I'm not sure if you've ever had a chance to read John Holt or John Taylor Gatto, but they both have some great books you'd probably be interested in. John Holt's How Children Fail (which is really about how schools fail children) is a great one IMO and I have a feeling it would resonate w/ your current situation quite a bit. It is an older book but still a great one IMO.

some good sites:
This woman HS'd her now grown son (unschooled really) and is a regular poster over at MDC. Her site has great articles and info, and then more links w/ HSing resources than you can imagine.
http://www.besthomeschooling.org/

MDC has a "school at home" forum and an "unschooling" subforum.

I'm not sure if you are looking for curriculum at this point or not? Most seasoned HSers recommend taking your time before picking up too much curricula initially, until you know what you are looking for. Maybe you know already what you are looking for? You could check out something like the Rainbow Resource catalog and wipe the drool with all of the options out there (oh so dangerous ;) LOL). But you don't want to sink in too much money initially until you get an idea of what your HSing style and needs are.

brittone2
04-09-2009, 11:31 AM
Katie-
You already know so much about this, and I'm sure this has crossed your mind already...but I know most HSers who have pulled their kids out of school find that a period of "deschooling" is sometimes a good thing. A chance to decompress and sort of drop some of the emotional baggage that may have come up from the school year, kwim?

If your family does opt to HS, I'll bet T. could generate a whole list of what he wants to learn about. We have DS keep a running list because it will be 10:30 at night and he'll say...oh! I forgot that I wanted to learn about X today!! so we have him jot down the things that he wants us to look into more. That list is always growing :)

mamicka
04-09-2009, 11:54 AM
For now we keep things pretty light and he's still learning so much. We are not school-at-the-table people. I keep a lot of curriculum options around, and he sort of does them as he's interested. I strew them or offer them as an option, but I don't "require" a certain number of pages per day or week or anything.
This is us, too. Although, I do basically do x number of pages a day for the most part - DS really likes workbook-type stuff. But it goes in phases & if he isn't interested I let it go. He still learns tons of stuff, even on the non-school days.

Also, just like anything else, since what he's learning involves what he's actually interested in and driven to learn, he seems to get really into it and he retains it.
Totally.

I'm not sure if you are looking for curriculum at this point or not? Most seasoned HSers recommend taking your time before picking up too much curricula initially, until you know what you are looking for. Maybe you know already what you are looking for? You could check out something like the Rainbow Resource catalog and wipe the drool with all of the options out there (oh so dangerous ;) LOL). But you don't want to sink in too much money initially until you get an idea of what your HSing style and needs are.
Second this. I haven't spent a dime on curriculum yet & I'm so glad. The items that I was sure I would get when we started I'm so not interested anymore. I'm really close to deciding on the curriculum we'll get for next year & I'm so pleased that I waited. I would have wasted lots of money if I hadn't. All told, I'll probably spend less than $100 on actual curriculum.

s_gosney
04-09-2009, 01:04 PM
I had wondered what you meant about "radical change" in the other thread. ;) I have no first hand experience with this at all, but I've been reading a lot of homeschooling info as dd approaches school age. Obviously there are the forums at MDC and I also love love this woman's philosophy and approach. http://www.whiteoakschool.com/ I think that there's a good chance given T's natural curiousity as well as his ability to read proficiently that it will be less about "teaching" and more about facilitating, so you and your dh's role would be more about watching what T is interested in working on and making sure he has access to the needed materials (trips to library, assistance with internet research, materials for building models, conducting experiments or whatever he's working on). Lori on the blog I posted above does a Reggio type approach and has info on the project journals she keeps about her children's work which would be a good way for you and dh to stay in communication on the progress. Obviously the project-based approach is just one way of doing things, but it's the one I've read the most about.
Best of luck to you as you all move to HS. :)

hellokitty
04-09-2009, 06:50 PM
Katie, we homeschooled one yr of preschool and then I got cold feet and enrolled my oldest into preschool. He is headed of to 1/2 day K in the autumn, but I am very nervous about it. His preschool teachers think he is gifted, BUT our district does not even offer a gifted program until 3rd grade. I am truly not sure how well my son will do (socially) in school. I am at the point where I am willing to give public K a try, BUT if it isn't working out, I won't hesitate to pull him out to homeschool him. It was my original intent to HS to begin with, BUT I live in an area where secular HSers do not exist, so there is a major lack in local support for me. I have however in the past few months, have friends come out of the woodwork who have admitted to me that they are thinking about, OR are going to HS. So, if we end up deciding to HS, I will probably have a small network of support from other moms with kids who are similarily aged to mine. I like the HS forum at MDC the best, b/c it is not very religious and you can almost always get someone to post a secular review if you have questions about something. Most other HS forums have such a religious slant, I can't stomach it and just don't fit in.

Also, one very useful site for curriculum reviews is: www.homeschoolreviews.com

I also like checking out Amazon for reviews too.

Usborne books www.ubah.com are also great for homeschooling families. I happen to be an Usborne consultant, and I would say that if you fall in love with the books, it's worthwhile to become a consultant, just to get the books at a discount for your own family.

Also, like another pp said, finding a local HS support group will help you a LOT. I hope you are able to find one that you like. I just really wish there was a group in my area, b/c we don't fit in with the HSers in our region at all.

m448
04-09-2009, 07:41 PM
hellokitty - I seem to remember you're in the triangle right? I'm a homeschooler who belongs to a local secular homeschooling group and there are at least a couple if not more all over.

Katie - I think on the "how to consider" question it's a bit too late. Just adjust that steering wheel and find your new direction. Realizing that our children's needs are just a bit different than we expected is always happening.

I've no more practical help as I'm a pretty "by the seat of my pants" homeschool mom.

hellokitty
04-09-2009, 09:07 PM
hellokitty - I seem to remember you're in the triangle right? I'm a homeschooler who belongs to a local secular homeschooling group and there are at least a couple if not more all over.

I wish I were in the RTP area. My brother lives out there. We live in the bible belt of the midwest... it's very frustrating to live in an area where we are black sheep.

brittone2
04-09-2009, 09:09 PM

Maybe you were thinking of me...we're in the Triangle :)

m448
04-09-2009, 09:20 PM
I know there's another person that just had a baby with a hellokitty in her user name that lives in the triangle. Boy my memory is shot LOL but Beth I definitely know you're in the triangle. I'm hoping we'll run into each other. ;)

I am christian but joined a secular group on purpose. Like you've encountered HK sometimes faith based homeschooling groups can have odd conventions and since faith is a personal relationship extrapolating rules that affect my kids and family in that way is just not a good thing.

kijip
04-10-2009, 07:20 AM
I have no idea what a day with two parents homeschooling will look like--other than neither one of you will have to do a lot of the work. :D Lucky you!

You will also have the added perk that with another parent around, you have someone to keep the smaller one occupied while you're teaching. My youngest usually gets one older sister to play with while I work with her other sister or she sits with us and does her school stuff--I have a whole closet full of things she only gets during school time. :D

While there is time both of us would be around, most of it would be a pass off since J works pt and goes to school and I do the same on a smaller scale. So mama in the morning with maybe working on a school thing or two and then daddy in the afternoons for other subjects. So no one person doing all the teaching but only both around the same times on one of J's days off (Sun-Tues). I work very pt now. My dad is also a 3rd set of eager helping hands in terms of watching T some days in the afternoons and coaching t-ball. He is also great for things like gardening and taking T fishing which are both educational in value :). These are things my dad does at a very in-depth level and T has taken an interest in both- they spend time every week tying flies together and making plans for where to go when for what kind of fish and T is learning what type of fly for what fish etc. I figure most of his time will be open ended. We will have the whole summer to decide if it is right for us. Maybe the placement he gets will be great and this will be moot but at this point I am not holding my breath. I feel pretty disheartened to be leaving school for now but it is clearly just not working for him. If it were, I would not be in this place right now.

maestramommy
04-10-2009, 07:31 AM
Katie, I've been following your posts about T since before K, and I'm sorry it's come to this. But I know both you and your Dh are smart enough and have enough common sense to make this work out for the best, no matter how it comes out. Between the two of you and your Dad (that sounds like an interesting component) I've no doubt T will get the education he needs. :hug:

egoldber
04-10-2009, 07:36 AM
I feel pretty disheartened to be leaving school for now but it is clearly just not working for him. If it were, I would not be in this place right now.

If it's any consolation, I felt where you are now in first, but second grade was SO much better. And the big difference was the teacher. Her second grade teacher just GOT her in a way that the first grade teacher did not.

Teacher choice plays a huge, huge role in many kids having a good classroom experience. I know you have other issues to contend with as well with your buses and lottery system, and that might drive me over the edge LOL! But if you decide to give school another try, I would sit down with the principal, explain what happened this year, what the psychologist said and ask for a teacher placement who will be the best fit for T. It can make just an amazing difference.

But who am I to talk because if I had the option, I would pull Sarah tomorrow.

Good luck.

kijip
04-10-2009, 07:54 AM
Teacher choice plays a huge, huge role in many kids having a good classroom experience. I know you have other issues to contend with as well with your buses and lottery system, and that might drive me over the edge LOL! But if you decide to give school another try, I would sit down with the principal, explain what happened this year, what the psychologist said and ask for a teacher placement who will be the best fit for T. It can make just an amazing difference.

Those are wise words. I am definitely going to immediately get to know the principal if he goes back to school in the Fall. I am just at the point of pulling my hair out because of the boundary issues. There is a new program opening up, mere minutes from my house which is very much in my neighborhood (T plays T-ball on the fields there), with a gifted program and a science focus. It looks really promising and I could get behind the energy of a new program. BUT we are out of cluster for it. By miles, it is closer to us than any other school. People who live farther away from the new school program, and I mean much farther and several neighborhoods over have 1st crack at it because they are "in cluster". It is crazy making and if it was about anything but my child's education, I could take an arbitrary line rule like this in stride but without parity in quality and options between the clusters and without enough space at the schools, it's so frustrating.

kijip
04-10-2009, 07:59 AM
Katie - I think on the "how to consider" question it's a bit too late.

That was in jest and I answered it myself. :) I know I have been vocal generally on why I would not choose homeschooling so I had to poke a little fun at myself/eat a little crow. I certainly harbored some misconceptions about homeschooling until just this year.

MamaKath
04-10-2009, 08:52 AM
Katie, definitely check out MDC homeschooling forum, the different sites and blogs posted. I would homeschool in a minute if I could. :D I do agree with Beth's comments about talking to the principal and teacher at whatever school you decide. Realize that the time it takes to do homeschool stuff 1 on 1 is much less than it takes a whole class. There isn't any perfect schooling option for any kid, I think homeschooling allows you to explore and adjust a lot more though.

Oh a couple notes that really helped me thinking about homeschooling were to write down my goals of what my kids should learn before college/adulthood and to write a mission statement. Even though we are not homeschooling that helped me look more clearly at all options that could fit our family.

~Kath