PDA

View Full Version : Trip to London with Bugaboo Frog?

lefarrell
04-09-2009, 03:55 AM
We are going to London, and I'm wondering if we are going to have any trouble traveling on the tube with our Bugaboo Frog. Does anyone have experience traveling in this city? Do the metro and train system have narrow turnstiles that the Frog won't fit through?

Normally this wouldn't be a concern as we'd break it into two parts in these situations, but we'll have an extra amount of luggage with us that could be more challenging.

hillview
04-09-2009, 09:02 AM
London underground has a lot of VERY steep and LONG escalators. I am not sure all of them have working elevators. I might be more thinking of a stroller that collapses easily and carry the baby on the escalators.
/hillary

MamaBear
04-09-2009, 12:58 PM
We went to London when our son was 10 months old, and the Cameleon was great because it was so comfortable for him and easy for us. Granted, because I used to live there and wanted to revisit so many old haunts we walked everywhere (LOL, my husband still reminds me that we walked about 50 km in four days!), the extra-comfy stroller was essential for all.

We did take the Tube once, and that was on our way back from Knightsbridge to Russell Square. We had to walk a while (in the rain) before we found a station with an escalator or lift to get onto the Tube, and although I remembered Russell Square as having a lift (because the first time I ever took the Tube when I moved to London it was at Russell Square and I made the newbie mistake of taking the spiral stairs rather than the lift!), I forgot that the lift didn't go all the way to the platform level. Because we had about 6 steps to get up to the door of our hotel, we got really good at lifting the stroller up and down stairs! With two, it wasn't a huge issue for a few stairs.

The only place we *really* had trouble was, of all places, St. Paul's Cathedral. It's a long story... Ended with a written apology from someone at Chapter House.

MamaBear
04-09-2009, 01:02 PM
PS - A friend of mine had her first while living in London, and also has a Cameleon. I can ask her if she had any trouble, if you'd like.

lefarrell
04-09-2009, 02:56 PM
Thank you for the feedback. Steep and long escalators don't concern me as we have those in Rome and they are no problem, unless they are the single width ones and then the Frog is too wide.

Mamabear, if you could double check with your friend, that would be great. We will be doing a lot of walking and have already traveled to a number of countries with the Frog, but I just wanted to double check. We'll be taking the tube from Heathrow into London, and then eventually the train to Dover.

I too lived near London a long time ago, but was too little to have any real haunts, other than I remember loving the museum of natural history, and going to some church with a huge circular room where I stood on one side and asked my dad who was on the other if we could go to McDonalds. MD wasn't on every street corner back then, and certainly not in the small town we lived in, so it was a huge treat! I have fond though vague memories of London and can't wait to share a new adventure with DH and our super DS traveler.

mom2two
04-16-2009, 01:28 PM
You should have no problem entering or exiting tube or train stations with your Bugaboo. They all (or at least I'll stations I've been to and I've lived here for almost 2 years) have a separate "turnstile" for people with luggage. You sometimes have to stand there for a minute before someone comes over to open it for you, but it's used regularly by people with strollers (and luggage) and there's always someone on duty to open it up for you. It's totally normal and expected.

That said, as noted above you might have problems once inside the station as elevators (lifts) are rare. However, if your husband is there to help carry the stroller up and down stairs, you'll be fine. On escalators, most everyone just tips the stroller back and wheels it on. I held my breath the first few times, but now I don't even think about it. (You'll be glad to have such a sturdy stroller, though).

There are sometimes problems with larger strollers on buses and drivers often won't let you board if someone else is already on with a stroller. Two people with smaller strollers are often allowed on the same bus, but the second person trying to board with a Phil & Teds, for example, will be told to wait for the next bus.

All Bugaboos are wildly popular here as the terrain is a bit rough so you'll be in good company.

MamaBear
04-18-2009, 12:24 AM
I finally got to ask my friend about this today, and she said that busses were generally fine. She also said not to expect anyone to offer to help if you're dealing with stairs in the Tube, but if you're travelling with someone it is manageable.

By the way, when I lived in London, and again when we visited in 2007, I used a minicab company. If you want to avoid the Tube or train, I can give you the info. The prices are reasonable (at least compared to a black cab!) and in my experience the service has always been good.

MontrealMum
04-18-2009, 12:33 AM
You will be taking the Picadilly line into London (same line as Mamabear mentioned - runs thru Russell Square). Once it gets into London this line is one of the deepest, so it has elevators; and I do remember it having elevators where the others did not. I also lived near the Russell Square tube station. Most other lines have escalators but as pp, they're not always working. I don't remember where the train to Dover leaves from - if it's King's Cross you have the Picadilly option again (as well as others). I have a hunch it's Victoria though. Have a great time...I'm so envious!

MamaBear
04-18-2009, 12:45 AM
You will be taking the Picadilly line into London (same line as Mamabear mentioned - runs thru Russell Square). Once it gets into London this line is one of the deepest, so it has elevators; and I do remember it having elevators where the others did not. I also lived near the Russell Square tube station. Most other lines have escalators but as pp, they're not always working. I don't remember where the train to Dover leaves from - if it's King's Cross you have the Picadilly option again (as well as others). I have a hunch it's Victoria though. Have a great time...I'm so envious!

At the risk of post-jacking, MontrealMum, where did you live? I was on Endsleigh Place, just north of Russell Square, and when we visited we stayed near Coram's Fields. Oh, how I miss London!!

lefarrell
04-18-2009, 02:58 AM
Thank you for all the great info. It sounds like we'll have no problems with the two of us. We've become experts at negotiating public transportation and carrying the Frog.

We will be staying near Sloane Square, and taking the train from Victoria station to Dover.

Mamabear - we are usually pretty bent on using PT, but I will take the name of the cab company just in case. When you say MiniCab, am I correct in thinking it is a MiniCooper? Will the Frog with luggage and everything fit?

Thanks again ladies, you are the best! :applause:

MontrealMum
04-18-2009, 12:33 PM
At the risk of post-jacking, MontrealMum, where did you live? I was on Endsleigh Place, just north of Russell Square, and when we visited we stayed near Coram's Fields. Oh, how I miss London!!

Not too far from you - Cartwright Gardens. Of course, since it's such a walking city, it never feels as if anything is too far. If I had the choice of moving anywhere, I'd move to London in a heartbeat. I love it too!

MamaBear
04-18-2009, 12:42 PM
Thank you for all the great info. It sounds like we'll have no problems with the two of us. We've become experts at negotiating public transportation and carrying the Frog.

We will be staying near Sloane Square, and taking the train from Victoria station to Dover.

Mamabear - we are usually pretty bent on using PT, but I will take the name of the cab company just in case. When you say MiniCab, am I correct in thinking it is a MiniCooper? Will the Frog with luggage and everything fit?

Thanks again ladies, you are the best! :applause:

Minicab just means not a black cab, and this company has cars in all sizes. They also provided a carseat for our son, although they really had no clue what kind of carseat was appropriate or even how to install them. My husband actually installed the carseat (straight out of the box!) on our way back to Heathrow. Other than that, I've always had very good experience with them. The name is Just Airports (http://www.justairports.com/), and you need to book in advance. I can't remember what type of vehicle they had for us, but we fit two adults and a baby and a stroller and luggage in with no problem.

MamaBear
04-18-2009, 12:43 PM
Not too far from you - Cartwright Gardens. Of course, since it's such a walking city, it never feels as if anything is too far. If I had the choice of moving anywhere, I'd move to London in a heartbeat. I love it too!

Was that one of the intercollegiate halls? I was in an LSE hall of residence. I miss London soooo much! Yesterday my friend and I were lamenting how much we each miss living in Europe.

MontrealMum
04-18-2009, 12:45 PM
Yes - Commonwealth, and it sucked! Especially compared to some of the ones my friends were in. I did a semester abroad there. Luckily I didn't actually spend too much time in the actual hall/room (but quite a bit in the hall's pub - wonderful innovation to a 19 yr old!). The rest of the experience was, of course, wonderful :) Have been back on and off to visit, but to be able to live there - heaven!

lefarrell
06-07-2009, 05:05 AM
Thanks to everyone for their help in planning my trip to London. At the last minute, (literally, I had left the house with my Frog), I went back and grabbed my brand new Bugaboo Bee and took it on the trip instead. I don't think we would have been able to navigate the tube when we first arrived with our luggage had we had the Frog. However, London is the land of Bugaboo, and I was amazed at how many Bugaboo strollers I saw everyday. They were definitely the dominant brand, primarily Cams, but also Bees here and there, so we fit right in.

We not only toured London, but then cruised to 6 other countries, and the Bee performed great. Not quite as good as the Frog would have, but for the size, convenience and ease of use of the Bee, especially on trains and metros, we were happy to have it with us.

Thanks again mamas! :bighand:

WatchingThemGrow
06-07-2009, 06:35 AM
Sounds like you had a great time!!! Makes me wish I had a Bee, one kid, and a carefree, exciting vacation planned!

scully_girl
06-08-2009, 03:11 PM
A word of caution: my SIL went from Orange County in California to San Diego with her BOB stroller on a train. Someone swiped it, as you weren't allowed to take your strollers with you (collapsed or not) into the passenger cars; you had to leave it in that transition area between cars. I think I remember reading in BB about buying a cheaper umbrella stroller for the long-distance trips.

Might be something to think about before you get that really expensive stroller swiped ... :wink2:

scully_girl

MamaBear
06-08-2009, 09:55 PM
Glad to hear you had a good trip. London really is one of my most favourite places in the whole world :applause: