PDA

View Full Version : OMG Medela. sheesh.

tarynsmum
04-09-2009, 06:59 PM
OK, so last week I went to BRU to buy some random 'necessities' (:eyeroll:) While I was there I met the Medela rep, who asked if I had any feedback about my Freestyle, the bottles, etc. I told him that we had tried the Medela bottles with DS but the 'slow flow' was still too fast for him. He proceeded to show me the NEW! 'wide base' nipples that are supposed to be slower flowing/easier for new babies. He told me they fit on all Medela bottles (and the packaging says the same thing). I bought a 3 pack to try out.

Um, they do NOT fit on the bottles. The nature of the 'wide base' means that the nipple doesn't fit in the ring to go on the bottle. I call Medela, and the CS rep says I have to buy the new rings. I think that's nuts, but whatever.

So I go back to BRU today, and bring along one of my bottles and the new nipples, to show the BRU manager in hopes that I can buy the rings. No. The rings are not sold separately, you have to buy the new bottles. Oh HEELLLLLL no. Apparently, this has been happening since the $#*&# rep was in the store, since he made sure to tell every mom and employee that they *fit all Medela bottles* They agree to exchange my 'old style' bottle for the 'new style' bottle (please note that BOTH STYLES ARE STILL BEING SOLD! my 'old' bottle was bought less than 2 weeks ago).

When I got home I call Medela *AGAIN*. This CS rep says, yes, it is kind of confusing, she totally sees that. I can purchase the rings. I say how, if they aren't sold in stores, and aren't on their website. I CAN ONLY BUY THEM OVER THE PHONE. WHAAAATTTT?!?! That's so preposterous, I can't even begin. If I had known that when I bought the nipples, and not the complete opposite, I would not have bought them. FINALLY, I get her to send me 3 rings. That's all I want. The ability to use the ones that I bought.

Apparently, "fits all Medela bottles" means, only if you call up Medela and purchase new rings. yeah, that's totally obvious. Holy Heck. WHY be so difficult? why Why WHY? Oh, and the new and old look EXACTLY the same to the naked, untrained eye, except for a tiny bubble in the corner that says "NEW wide base!" So beware. when you buy.

ETA: we did try out the NEW! wide base! bottle this afternoon. DS took right to it. So, at least it works.

misshollygolightly
04-09-2009, 07:32 PM
Good GRIEF. I'm glad it all worked out in the end, but what a hassle! I'm sure BRU hasn't seen the last of this little advertising/marketing fiasco.

JTsMom
04-09-2009, 09:54 PM
Wow, that's ridiculous! I'd be fuming too.

DrSally
04-10-2009, 09:59 AM
How Annoying! That rep should have known what he was talking about before selling you something that wouldn't work with your system without other parts.

DietCokeLover
04-10-2009, 11:19 AM
Well at least DC takes the bottle after all that trouble you went through. Can you imagine how mad you'd be if the bottle was rejected!

hellokitty1
04-14-2009, 01:40 PM
i hear you. i am frustrated in general with medela and the bottle system as you can regularly purchase the nipples but have only been able to find rings on the site and shippng is outrageous. yeah, it all fits, if you can fnd the parts.somehow, i have twice as many caps than rings.

hellokitty1
04-16-2009, 11:32 PM
on a side note, i noticed that medela bottles were on clearance at tru. i think they are getting rid of the current style of bottles and moving to just the wide base. i'm going to use my 10% off registry coupon this week and was adding some additional items to it. i noticed that the new bottles have a clear cap and the old ones are yellow. so in case anyone is using the old one and needs more, stock up now bc i have a feeling they are going away.

kijip
04-17-2009, 03:43 AM
Medela drives me nuts for a few reasons:

-The prices are high. Not just on the pumps but on everything. It all seems like a lot for what your get. Seventy odd dollars for the SNS which amounts to a plastic bottle, a valve, string and some medical tubing. I spent a small fortune on their products trying to make bf-ing work out well with Toby.

-They keep futzing with the needed accessories and tubing for the hospital pumps and I had to go back to the store 2 times after the woman told me I had everything I needed to make it work. This might be because I got the Symphony this time vs. the Classic.

-Their storage baggies are lost breastmilk tears waiting to happen IME.

tarynsmum
04-17-2009, 11:36 PM
Well, I got my rings in the mail yesterday. YAY!

Now, all I want is 2-3 more bottles. Note: JUST the bottles, like the things that you put the milk into. Not the nipples and caps, not a whole box full of 2 bottles PLUS crap I don't want (valves for a pump that I don't have, etc). I'm calling Medela to see if I can buy *just* bottles.

nicanddrew
05-14-2009, 02:25 PM
I need to get some new nipples for new DS to fit the Medela bottles I already have. Is anywhere still selling the non-wide base ones or am I going to have to call them and buy the new collars??

UPDATE: I emailed medela and got a response within 10 minutes! They are sending me some free collars. Dumb product change but at least they are quick to respond!

newg
05-14-2009, 04:45 PM
So does this mean I shouldn't save all my medela bottles and parts for when we have another dc? That's totally stupid to not make them work interchangably.....and I have a ton of bottles......guess I could still use them for milk storage...