PDA

View Full Version : Buying candy FROM your DCs

s7714
04-09-2009, 08:18 PM
I know people have mentioned here in the past that they buy their DCs Halloween candy from them instead of letting them eat all of it, and I'm wondering how you go about doing it. Do you pay a flat rate per piece regardless of size or do you base the price on size? And how much do you pay?

We seem to have a constant supply of candy around here between holidays and birthday parties, and I'm getting really sick of it. Instead of being a mean mommy ;) and dumping it straight in the trash, I thought I'd make it fun for my DDs by buying it from them and then letting them spend the $ however they choose.

TIA for any thoughts!

Corie
04-09-2009, 08:43 PM
Let me know your going rate and you can buy my candy from me! :)

I can't stop eating it!

s7714
04-10-2009, 12:03 AM
Let me know your going rate and you can buy my candy from me! :)

I can't stop eating it!

Haha, you're funny! I can't stop eating the darn stuff either, which is why I need to get it out of my house!

s_gosney
04-10-2009, 12:35 AM
Well, we don't pay money but we have had the "halloween fairy/witch" or other such character visit and swap out the candy for some small toy, and that has been pretty successful. Otherwise, every.single.meal turns into "how many more bites until I can have some candy?" and I just hate that.
Buying it could be another option, but I'd hate to set up some established amount (especially rate per piece) not knowing how much candy they'd be getting at various holidays. Of course ymmv on that.

s7714
04-12-2009, 01:30 AM
Well, we don't pay money but we have had the "halloween fairy/witch" or other such character visit and swap out the candy for some small toy, and that has been pretty successful. Otherwise, every.single.meal turns into "how many more bites until I can have some candy?" and I just hate that.
Buying it could be another option, but I'd hate to set up some established amount (especially rate per piece) not knowing how much candy they'd be getting at various holidays. Of course ymmv on that.

O.k., I was inspired by your idea! We had the girls pick through all their candy tonight and set aside only the stuff they really wanted (I helped steer some stuff into the give away bag ;) ) and we told them the Easter Bunny would leave them extra goodies if they leave all the unhealthy candy for the EB to take away. I was surprised at how much candy they suddenly were forking over! (Just to clarify, the only candy I give at Easter is one chocolate bunny--everything else is toys, books, etc.--so it's not like they're going to be getting more candy in exchange for candy!) Thanks for the idea!

s_gosney
04-12-2009, 01:39 AM
Glad to hear it worked! :)

squimp
04-12-2009, 01:04 PM
These are great ideas. We still have Halloween candy and Valentine's candy and now Easter candy. Just yesterday I was thinking of throwing it away, but DD is the type who will remember every little thing she's ever had, making it hard to throw things away in a clandestine manner. She'll be going to sleep and suddenly say "where's that happy meal toy, you know, that little magnetic candy land game" - it's from two years ago. So I'll be trying some of these ideas.

Corie
04-12-2009, 09:02 PM
She'll be going to sleep and suddenly say "where's that happy meal toy, you know, that little magnetic candy land game" - it's from two years ago.

My two kids are the exact same way.

When they ask me the whereabouts of some toy/candy, etc. and I KNOW
it's long gone in the trash, I claim ignorance.

"I have NO idea where it is!!"