PDA

View Full Version : anyone see osteopath for help getting DC to latch?

justincase
04-10-2009, 08:57 PM
Background first: DD has had trouble latching on since Day 1. I'm currently using a nipple shield on the advice of both LC and ped (to give her more "feedback"); she can't get on at all without it despite agonizing efforts. They say her tongue doesn't come all the way forward, and that her suck is weak, not creating a seal. Some feedings she does okay and others she either just gives up and won't try or else gets really frantic and frustrated. After several days of putting her on the breast and then pumping and cup feeding (also on the mutual advice of LC and ped) we replaced the cup with a bottle last night -- mixed feelings about that -- but she is more satisfied at the end of the feeding and I feel like she is finally getting enough to eat. Tomorrow we are seeing a speech pathologist who specializes in infant feeding issues to do an eval to see whether there is anything physical causing the issue and whether some kind of exercises would help.

My actual question: LC is now across the country on vacation but checked in with me tonight by phone. She suggested seeing an osteopath who she says has much success using gentle cranial manipulation to get infants to improve their latch. Anyone have any experience with something like this? I consider myself pretty open to alternatives but this is a new one to me.

WatchingThemGrow
04-10-2009, 09:08 PM
not the osteopath, but I did the SLP who specialized with BF infants, and the sucking exercises and 100 other things. I think they helped, but it was really late by the time we got to her.

With DS, he had similar problems, but his tongue wasn't coming out due to a slight tongue tie, and he had a frenulectomy (or frenectomy) by the ENT at 9 days old. I'm sure the SLP will notice that if it is the issue. Have it checked if she doesn't say anything.

Good luck to you. I've SO BTDT 2x and it is just frustrating b/c you want to make EBF work so badly, but you also want a satisfied, happy baby gaining weight! Hugs to you, mama!

justincase
04-10-2009, 09:13 PM
Good luck to you. I've SO BTDT 2x and it is just frustrating b/c you want to make EBF work so badly, but you also want a satisfied, happy baby gaining weight! Hugs to you, mama!

Thank you so much, this is exactly how I feel... The first couple of days I was in this blissful haze, had (almost) forgotten how good it felt to sit there and BF and fall in love with the babe. Now I am totally stressed and torn. I just want what is best for her but gosh I *really* want the EBF to work.

WatchingThemGrow
04-10-2009, 09:38 PM
Did you have a good BF experience with your older one? I can imagine how much harder it is if you did. We're hoping the 3rd time we have an easy EBF situation, but it isn't likely given my supply history. We're prayin', though!

It is excruciating b/c there are so many unknowns, like how much is she getting, why isn't she getting it all, how long should I be pumping, how much do I make in each cup/bottle/SNS, should I go this route or that route, etc. - all while you're getting 1.5 hrs of sleep at a time... oh, and entertaining the toddler!

You did look on kellymom.com and jacknewman's sites right?

We found trixietracker.com to be helpful in trying to manage all the diaper/oz. info for the LC, the ped, the SLP, and to let our families know how things were going. It isn't a site for everyone, but for us, it was a lifeline. We're weird like that I guess.

I hope you'll find some info on the osteopath and see if that's something you're willing to try.

justincase
04-10-2009, 10:47 PM
I knew about kellymom but not jacknewman -- will have to check out tomorrow -- thanks very much for that and the other tips. I did have a great BF experience with DS (did have a little trouble latching in the hospital but figured it out pretty quickly after we got home) so I guess I naively thought it would be a smooth ride this time. I really appreciate the support. Pumping right now!

Tondi G
04-10-2009, 11:40 PM
I know a mama who's DD was born with her jaw/chin quite recessed. She was having issues BFing and ended up seeing an infant chiropractor who did an adjustment and her DD latched on perfectly afterwards and they had no more issues. I would say give it a go... it can't hurt. Did the LC say anything about a potential tongue tie?

Good luck... hope you get it worked out!

newg
04-11-2009, 09:40 PM
My dd was major tongue tied when she was born...couldn't move her tongue out past her gum line at all.....LC tried to get her to latch in the hospital and after a few failed attempts had me start using a sheild......we also went and got dd's tongue clipped (I think she was a week old)......after that I continued to use the shield and it was like night and day!!!
Dd was also six weeks early so we also had to supplement for the first month. I think because I was wearing a shield she did not have any nipple confusion.......that being said I wore a shield for the entire 12 months she BF...I think I could have taught her to not use it, but I was so worried about her not eating I just kept using it.........'course I never went through the nipple pain and bleeding and cracking that so many moms went through either!!

Good luck!

WatchingThemGrow
04-11-2009, 09:50 PM
I know a mama who's DD was born with her jaw/chin quite recessed. She was having issues BFing and ended up seeing an infant chiropractor who did an adjustment and her DD latched on perfectly afterwards and they had no more issues.

hmmm... our babies kinda have a bit of a recessed chin/jaw too. I might look into that and be prepared b/c if the first two had it, this one probably will also! I would LOVE to have a regular BFing experience this time. I think I FOUND this site while pumping for DD, justincase. Do you have the hands-free bra? lifesaver!

justincase
04-12-2009, 08:51 AM
Good news from the SLP -- no tongue tie, no physical reason she thinks DD won't be able to learn to BF successfully in the next couple of weeks. A weak suck but strong compression, and an immature breathing pattern. Just needs time to straighten herself out, she said.

Thanks again for the resources -- trixietracker is right up my alley of OCD-type organization but I would have to convince DH it would be better than my current notebook system! :)

I do have and love a hands-free pumping band but after scraping the velcro across my nipple two nights ago (OUCH) I snipped two tiny holes in an old sports bra and find that works even better!

Still wondering about the osteopath. Of course was too tired yesterday at the SLP appointment to remember to ask her thoughts on it. Left her a voice mail afterwards. Will also ask ped her thoughts tomorrow at visit -- she's pretty open about alternatives.

WatchingThemGrow
04-12-2009, 10:31 AM
Did the SLP give you suck-strengthening activities? We used a Soothie pacifier (correct nipple-type according to our SLP) and played tug-o-war with our babies as one exercise. Another was a tongue-massage with a clean forefinger - trying to pull the tongue down and out before BFing.

Trixietracker is free for 2 weeks, I think. DH wanted to fire it up again just to give DS meds for 10 days and keep track of what he had given. I told him he had to wait until the new baby is here and we can start watching the growth curve, feeding patterns, etc.

Let us know what your ped and slp say about the alternative treatment! Hope things go well for the next few days!

justincase
04-12-2009, 11:43 AM
We were already using the Soothie on ped's advice and SLP said to continue. She said this particular set of symptoms would be helped by growth more than any exercises, but she did suggest the "paci-tug-of-war" and also noted that when we noticed it becoming harder to either spin or tug the bottle, we would know that DD was ready to be a better BF-er. Keep thinking energetic thoughts for me -- if I had just 1/10 of DS's energy, for example!

HIU8
04-13-2009, 01:22 PM
I have not read all the posts yet. But, both DS and DD had frenulectomies. DS had his at 8 months and DD at 10 months. I could not get a doctor around me to do one earlier than that. Needless to say, I was pretty upset. However, I have never heard of going to an osteopath for this (my LC never suggested it).