PDA

View Full Version : Which outdoor toy would you get?

katydid1971
04-11-2009, 06:16 PM
For DS's 4th birthday both sets of grandparents gave us $150 to buy him the costco playhouse. I bought it and its in the garage waiting for me to have a few hours to put it together. Today while looking for something else I came across this cool roller coaster. Its almost the same price and looks like fun. The reviews for it are all very good. My mom thinks the playhouse would be better because it would encourage more imaginative play. DH thinks the roller coaster looks like more fun. I would love some feedback, opinions, suggestions, etc.
Thanks!

The Roller coaster:
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5994954&findingMethod=rr
http://www.step2.com/product.cfm?product_id=1427

The Playhouse:
http://www.kidkraft.com/catalog/furniture.asp?catid=16&subcatid=16&itemid=00135

FYI
DS will be 4
DD just turned 1

justlearning
04-11-2009, 07:39 PM
I have no way of predicting which item your DS would like best--you'd be the best judge of that--but here's my experience with similar toys and my DS...

I got DS the older model of the Step 2 roller coaster when he was 18 months old or so. At that age, it was at first a little scary, then he liked it, then he was bored with it--all in a matter of a week. It didn't seem to roll very well either so I ended up taking it back. The coaster had great reviews so it seemed that my son was not the norm but I can't see it keeping my DS2, who's 3 now, entertained for very long either. The most fun seems to be putting little cars down the ramp but the coaster is a rather expensive monstrosity for that purpose.

I also got DS1 a used Little Tikes log cabin playhouse last year when he was just turning 4. I tried to get him interested in playing inside but he never was interested in doing so. Instead, he had more fun scooping up pea gravel underneath, throwing it on top of the roof, and watching the pea gravel roll down the sides. :) So once again, it seemed like it wasn't a hit and I resold it.

One outdoor toy he did like last year and has continued to like was a swing that we hung under the deck. I think 4 is a great age for swinging because they're just able to start learning how to do it themselves IME. This year we've decided to go ahead and get a full playset for our boys to play on. That one does have a clubhouse on top (from Sams Club) so I'm hoping that they will find ways to entertain themselves inside. I had considered just getting a playhouse like the one you posted because it'd be easier for us in our yard and cheaper and we already have a swinging area. But I think that the clubhouse is much more fun when you're able to do fun things with it that don't involve just staying inside--for example, climbing monkey bars to get into it, climbing a rock wall to get inside, sliding out of it, perhaps taking a fireman pole down, etc. My boys are so physically active that they like to be DOING things--they're not the type to just sit around and play house or shop inside of a structure. IME girls are much more likely to do those type of calm pretend play activities.

Having said all that, your son could absolutely love either one of the items you're debating between. I'd just consider how he already plays now. Does he like to do the same thing over and over (the roller coaster)? Does he like to sit and play house? Or does he like to run around and have variety in what he's doing?

Hope this helps somehow! Good luck with your decision...

MNmomtobe
04-11-2009, 07:56 PM
I like the playhouse. I think it would be great for your DS' creativity. He could also use it like a fort. It is also pretty tall so your DS probably wouldn't outgrow it anytime soon.
You could also put stuff inside the playhouse he could play with. I really like the puppet theatre and basketball hoop features.

I agree with pp about the coaster. I think it may be really fun at first but he may tire of it easily. At least if he gets bored with the playhouse, it will look nice in your yard. :P

WatchingThemGrow
04-11-2009, 08:56 PM
Wow. That roller coaster is awesome! I've never seen anything like it (except for the small up and down one they sold at Sam's this winter.)

My first thought was "I need to ask the GP to chip in and get this for DD's birthday next month! Maybe I will if DH is on board...

But...it would look kinda nutso in our yard, which is already filled with a sand/water table, playset, LT 6in1 house, 2 cars, wagon, pedal tractor, picnic table, etc.

*I* really want to ride it myself! But if you don't already have a playhouse, starting with that is good. Do you have other kids over often? I could see a group of kids enjoying it.

ETA: DH said no way, not even if I'd found it for $5. Kills too much grass and we already have a slide. oh well

kijip
04-12-2009, 12:58 AM
The roller coaster looks like it would be shorter lived and perhaps a one hit wonder (played with a lot at first and then ignored). The playhouse is open ended and my nearly 6 year old will still be found playing in one with his best buddy at their house. I can see a 4 year old playing with the house for couple of more years or even later as a fort/hideout. I can't see a 6 year old using that rollercoaster much because they would be kinda big for it.

s7714
04-12-2009, 01:22 AM
Some friends of ours bought their DDs the rollar coasters for Christmas a couple years ago. They were a big hit for a few months and now they rarely play with them. Of course whenever other kids come over to play they are a big hit with the visiting kids!

I like the playhouse idea, but I'd personally go for something more active like a climber or slide unit (unless you already have something like that).

gatorsmom
04-12-2009, 01:25 AM
For the price, I would go with something like this:

http://www.step2.com/product.cfm?product_id=1281&related=true

But actually, if you could get the grandparents to go halfsies, I'd do this:

http://www.step2.com/product.cfm?product_id=1309&related=true.

About 4 years ago we got the second one, the Clubhouse Climber (through Direct Buy so about 1/3 that price) and when Gator was 18 months. He and his friends have played with this thing nonstop ever since. Even at nearly 6 yo, he and his friends are still all over this thing and just today the 16mo twins were on it for the first time, trying to make their way amongst the 4 and 6 yo boys (our older 2 boys had some friends over). It has been one of the best backyard toys that we've bought. But if you don't want to spend that much, I think the Woodland Climber (the first link) would get more use than the roller coaster or the playhouse, just since it doesn't have a roof and would be open and airy. jmho.

greatcanuk
04-12-2009, 08:31 AM
Definitely the Playhouse. The Rollcoaster looks like a one-hit wonder to me also.

Melaine
04-12-2009, 09:14 AM
I bet the roller coaster would go over GREAT at a church or daycare. I think it's something all the kids would be drawn to and line up to try. But for everyday, long-term use, I can't imagine it getting as much playtime as a playhouse or maybe a fort of some kind....that's my guess though.

JTsMom
04-12-2009, 11:38 AM
Definitely the Playhouse. The Rollcoaster looks like a one-hit wonder to me also.

:yeahthat: