PDA

View Full Version : Confetti Eggs?

MamaMolly
04-11-2009, 11:43 PM
You've got to be effing kidding me. Granted, I'm looking at this with my Mother of an Egg Allergic Child glasses, so I have no sense of humor. In fact I'm having a heart attack thinking about it.

The big deal?
Some idiot thinks it is a whole lotta Easter time fun to take hollowed out egg shells (yup, the real ones) and fill them with confetti, plug the hole with tissue paper, then 'sneak up behind an unsuspecting friend, crack the egg in your hand, sprinkle eggshell and confetti all over your friend's head, then RUB IT IN!!!!!'

Yup, that is a quote.

I'm having palpatations at the thought that this little ditty was in the latest newsletter of our new home where we will be moving this Fall. And the eggs are for sale there. And that I know for a FACT that there is a child with deadly egg allergies in the community.

(Oh, and if you feel like pointing out that I'm over reacting because we don't even live there now please don't bother. I know that. And yes, I also know that 99.9% of the world doesn't think of a smashed egg shell as assault with a deadly weapon. I know I'm a 'spoilsport', 'worrywart', and other craptastic adjectives. But this is the atmosphere I'm taking my beautiful, precious DD in just a few months and it scares the BEJEEZUS out of me that, given there is someone with known life threatening allergies in the microscopically small community, that these people think that this is not only OK, that it is FUNNY. Please let me freak a little.)

ha98ed14
04-12-2009, 12:20 AM
You're good with me. I have never understood the allure of these eggs. They sell them at the fall harvest festival at DH's school. Its the major fund raising event of the PTA, but as the laundress of the teacher they love to "egg," I could deal without it. I'm sorry you have to deal with this. Probably safest just to keep her in at home that day and do something special, like make egg-free cookies and watch a movie.

kijip
04-12-2009, 02:31 AM
Even without the egg allergy factor, that is the most annoying thing I have heard of related to Easter. I have heard about them being filled with glitter. Seriously, glitter everywhere? I would be so damn annoyed with that person and would have ever so many chances to remind myself of how annoyed I was with them whenever I caught sight of glitter that NEVER goes away. Glitter just stays and stays. When my brother turned 18 someone gave him a small present that when unwrapped spilled purple glitter everywhere in my dining room which was open to the living room. Despite vacuuming, scrubbing the floors and taking the rug outside to literally beat the glitter out, some of that purple glitter was still around to stowaway to my next home, well over a year later. I can't ever see the person that gave him this without thinking "F-ing purple glitter!". It's been 8 years, LOL. I am quite sure that the floorboards of that house still have minisule pieces of purple glitter that can be seen if you get down on your hands and knees and look.

ellies mom
04-12-2009, 02:40 AM
Even without the egg allergy factor, that is the most annoying thing I have heard of related to Easter. I have heard about them being filled with glitter. Seriously, glitter everywhere? I would be so damn annoyed with that person and would have ever so many chances to remind myself of how annoyed I was with them whenever I caught sight of glitter that NEVER goes away. Glitter just stays and stays. When my brother turned 18 someone gave him a small present that when unwrapped spilled purple glitter everywhere in my dining room which was open to the living room. Despite vacuuming, scrubbing the floors and taking the rug outside to literally beat the glitter out, some of that purple glitter was still around to stowaway to my next home, well over a year later. I can't ever see the person that gave him this without thinking "F-ing purple glitter!". It's been 8 years, LOL. I am quite sure that the floorboards of that house still have minisule pieces of purple glitter that can be seen if you get down on your hands and knees and look.

Thank you Katie for expressing my feelings so well. The people who owned our house before us had a nine year old daughter. We've been in this house almost 3 years and I still find glitter in her former bedroom. :32: I wouldn't be surprised to if it turns out to be an actual life form someday. I swear the stuff reproduces.

egoldber
04-12-2009, 06:50 AM
The big deal?
Some idiot thinks it is a whole lotta Easter time fun to take hollowed out egg shells (yup, the real ones) and fill them with confetti, plug the hole with tissue paper, then 'sneak up behind an unsuspecting friend, crack the egg in your hand, sprinkle eggshell and confetti all over your friend's head, then RUB IT IN!!!!!'

CAveat, I am the kind of person who HATES pranks, April Fools, Surprise Parties (for me), etc. But I seriously do NOT get the fun in this??????

And glitter eggs? OMG????? Glitter is the work of the devil.

MommyofAmaya
04-14-2009, 02:28 PM
We just unloaded a dozen cascarones on the in-laws on Sunday have another dozen to "share" w/my family. They are a Mexican tradition are said to bring good luck. It isn't Easter for us until the first shell is cracked.

That being said, we never pelt strangers and I hope your family is showed the same courtesy in your new community.

hellokitty
04-14-2009, 02:48 PM
I hate confetti anything, but the whole egg allergy thing and what it could do to someone with one, takes it to another level of annoying.

MamaMolly
04-15-2009, 12:04 AM
We just unloaded a dozen cascarones on the in-laws on Sunday have another dozen to "share" w/my family. They are a Mexican tradition are said to bring good luck. It isn't Easter for us until the first shell is cracked.

That being said, we never pelt strangers and I hope your family is showed the same courtesy in your new community.

THanks for your kind words. I just re-read my first post and now feel embarrassed about using the word 'idiot'. I didn't realize they were a special tradition, I just figured they were some new gimmick-y thing to seperate us from our $$ at another holiday. Sigh. Sorry about that, and thank you for gently educating me!

And you know, I hate being a spoilsport. Honestly, before I had DD I probably would have thought these were a fun tradition and would have *loved* to nail my DH with at least one. But now they give me shivers!

Allergies color your view of the world. :( I met DH for lunch today and we shared 3 peanut butter cookies. It was such a guilty pleasure. I'm so 'trained' in my mind to avoid DD's allergens that I would never have bought them, DH did as a treat.

Anyway, wishing you the best of luck with your eggs, enjoy!

MommyofAmaya
04-17-2009, 10:16 PM
THanks for your kind words. I just re-read my first post and now feel embarrassed about using the word 'idiot'. I didn't realize they were a special tradition, I just figured they were some new gimmick-y thing to seperate us from our $$ at another holiday. Sigh. Sorry about that, and thank you for gently educating me!

And you know, I hate being a spoilsport. Honestly, before I had DD I probably would have thought these were a fun tradition and would have *loved* to nail my DH with at least one. But now they give me shivers!

Allergies color your view of the world. :( I met DH for lunch today and we shared 3 peanut butter cookies. It was such a guilty pleasure. I'm so 'trained' in my mind to avoid DD's allergens that I would never have bought them, DH did as a treat.

Anyway, wishing you the best of luck with your eggs, enjoy!

No offense taken here. I actually appreciate your post b/c I have never taken egg allergies into consideration. I will certainly be more aware and careful in our confetti egg adventures.

katydid1971
04-18-2009, 01:36 AM
I have some experience with these too. SIL found them a few years ago and brought them to easter when DS was 11 months old (think crawling on the floor and putting everything in his mouth). It is not a tradition in our family, she just thought they were cool. She starts cracking them on every body's head even after I asked her not to. I spent the whole time on easter following her around and vacuuming up confetti. You reminded me just how mad I was at her.

MamaMolly
04-18-2009, 10:27 AM
I have some experience with these too. SIL found them a few years ago and brought them to easter when DS was 11 months old (think crawling on the floor and putting everything in his mouth). It is not a tradition in our family, she just thought they were cool. She starts cracking them on every body's head even after I asked her not to. I spent the whole time on easter following her around and vacuuming up confetti. You reminded me just how mad I was at her.

I was going to say that you should give her a puppy for Christmas, but that would be cruel to the puppy, right?

But you should mail her something that comes in a box *crammed* with those styrofoam packing peanuts. Crammed so full that when she opens it, it bursts forth like a styrofoam and static electricity volcano. Oh and and dump a whole bottle of glitter (purple??) in it.

I'm feeling mean today....

kransden
04-18-2009, 11:03 AM
I was going to say that you should give her a puppy for Christmas, but that would be cruel to the puppy, right?

But you should mail her something that comes in a box *crammed* with those styrofoam packing peanuts. Crammed so full that when she opens it, it bursts forth like a styrofoam and static electricity volcano. Oh and and dump a whole bottle of glitter (purple??) in it.

I'm feeling mean today....
:ROTFLMAO:
I have seen those eggs, but never thought of them as a danger, just a fun craft project.
If dd was older, say 5 and they didn't rub them in, would you still think they are dangerous? I am not up on my egg allergy, like I am the peanutbutter.

MamaMolly
04-18-2009, 05:35 PM
:ROTFLMAO:
I have seen those eggs, but never thought of them as a danger, just a fun craft project.
If dd was older, say 5 and they didn't rub them in, would you still think they are dangerous? I am not up on my egg allergy, like I am the peanutbutter.

That's a very good question. I'd say if your kiddo is eatings eggs without any problems then it wouldn't likely be an issue, rubbed in or not. DD is contact reactive to the protein in egg whites. In our case, if I eat egg and kiss her she gets hives where I've kissed her. And I'm not a sloppy eater ;).

Even if the shell were washed, I just don't think you could convince me that you could get every last molecule of egg white out of the shell. I've done egg shell crafts in the past (pre DD, obviously) and no matter how carefully I washed them there was always a bit of shiny-ness or a dab of dried out goop here and there once they've dried. So I wouldn't even trust myself to get them perfectly clean, much less anyone else who doesn't have my vested interest in DD's safety, you know?

But is your DD doesn't have an egg allergy then I say have at it and have fun.

My initial freak out was over learning *of* this custom (as I know now it is!), on top of learning that it was going on in a place with a child who has the same/worse allergies as DD, a place we are going to be living in just a few months. In hindsight I'm grateful. I'm glad that I learned it was a real tradition because it helps me understand why many people will be justifiably reluctant to stop doing this. I'm also grateful because now I know it is something I need to be on the look out for, so it won't be a shock next Easter. BBB mamas are the best!

kransden
04-19-2009, 10:29 PM
That's a very good question. I'd say if your kiddo is eatings eggs without any problems then it wouldn't likely be an issue, rubbed in or not. DD is contact reactive to the protein in egg whites. In our case, if I eat egg and kiss her she gets hives where I've kissed her. And I'm not a sloppy eater ;).

I had no idea, that will be one more thing I'll add to list of knowledge. I thought it was just more for when people got shots kwim? I always have lots of kids come over for crazy crafts. We just made concrete stepping stones. I now know to ask if anyone has pet allergies or phobias. It is hard to get soda off of a catheral ceiling when someone freaks out over a cat lol! :)

CocoaSashimi
04-26-2009, 02:04 PM
Maybe you could bring up your fears with them when you move in and suggest an alternative. I've seen cascarones done with plastic eggs due to kids with allergies.