PDA

View Full Version : for exclusively pumping mamas - what pump?

justincase
04-12-2009, 08:54 AM
Will my PISA hack it, or should I look into renting a hospital grade pump?

Although we are not "exclusive" at this point (SLP and LC think DD just needs a couple of weeks to straighten herself out and learn to BF) I am pumping 8-12 times a day around the clock.

TIA!

egoldber
04-12-2009, 12:00 PM
How old is she? If she's still young (less than 4-6 weeks), personally I would rent a hospital pump.

ETA: Oops, just noticed your ticker. Since she is a newborn, I would definitely get a hospital pump.

WatchingThemGrow
04-12-2009, 12:07 PM
I have a PISA also and rented a hospital grade both times when pumping a lot over the course of 1-2 mos, on the rec. of my LC. I also rented a scale so I didn't have to keep taking DD in for weight checks. We did it for DS also so we wouldn't have to keep taking 2 kids into the ped's office for weight checks. It gave me peace of mind that 1) the hospital-grade pump was the best I could do for my (low) supply and 2) the scale told us (LC, ped, SLP, DH and me) how much each baby was getting and that they were in fact gaining or losing each day.

Not sure if insurance would have covered it or not, but I should check this time.

LKMang
04-12-2009, 05:02 PM
I have been EP'ing for 4 months now and have rented a Medela Symphony the whole time. Love it!

vludmilla
04-12-2009, 09:38 PM
I exclusively pumped for at least 15 months with a PISA. It worked fine. I needed to use fenugreek to help my supply toward the end.

Nooknookmom
04-14-2009, 10:35 AM
I have been EP'ing for 4 months now and have rented a Medela Symphony the whole time. Love it!

2nd the Symphony!!! LOVED it. It had the letdown feature & that was so easy 2 use w/ a screaming baby;)

MacMacMoo
04-15-2009, 01:40 PM
DS is 9 months old and I've been exclusively pumping for him since he was 2 weeks old. I use the lansinoh/purely yours pump and have had no problems. Well there is user error in the fact that early on i would forget some small peice to the pump when I went on an outing and was miserable because i wasn't able to pump. I fixed the problem by buying another one of ebay. So now i have one permenately set up at home, and one i use in the car when i'm driving to work.

jenny
04-15-2009, 10:08 PM
I've been exclusivel pumping for 9 months and use the Medela Pump In Style Advanced. If you plan on going back to work, you should rent the hospital grade pump and keep that at home and take one to work and leave that at work.

Hospital-grade pumps are MUCH better at getting your milk I hear. My pump in style has been doing fine, but my supply is dwindling a bit now.

justincase
04-17-2009, 11:57 AM
Thanks for the feedback. It turned out to be a moot point as the two places within about a 30-minute drive that rent medical equipment are *both* out of stock on pumps. How does this happen? I have to remind myself why I love living in the sticks... My trusty PISA with its let-down mode will have to work for now. My milk is in good supply, thank goodness, I just need to keep it that way.