PDA

View Full Version : Bassinet, Arm's Reach, Pack-n-Play Madness. Please HELP!

Lila
04-12-2009, 11:09 AM
I'm almost finished with my registry; everything has been so thoroughly researched and cross-checked, it's insane. This is my first baby, and I really did not love this process. But I am nearing the home stretch.

My final decision is a crib and mattress (likely going with Colgate, though not sure which one and Peyton Lifestyle) - but I posted about each of those separately.

Now. This is what I can't seem to decide on and I'm going OUT OF MY MIND!

I was in Babies-R-Us yesterday, and I also have read every review, and everything under the sun. But I still can't decide.

THE ARM'S REACH:

I like this idea, but I don't like how the full-sized ones don't have mesh sides. (The minis do); in reading about the full-sized ones, a lot of people complained that it was "too big" for their baby - so maybe I should get the mini after all, even though it seemed small?

What about the sheets? Are there softer ones? What did you use under the sheet?

And is this a gimmick? I mean, you still have to fully sit up in bed to lift the baby out, etc...

Would I go mad w/ baby sleeping next to me and staring at it all the time? Can I use my motion sensor mats with it?

(Of course, there's always the more sturdier-looking "Sleigh Arm's Reach" option. Ugh! (Too many options!!!!)

PACK-N-PLAYS

I loved a few of the ones I saw - a Baby Trend one, and the Chicco one, and a Graco one rated on ConsumerReports has gotten good reviews, though some people say the way the mattress is suspended in the air, if the baby moves, it wakes the baby up.

Also, the mattresses on these (along with sheets) seem a little better quality then the ones for the Arm's Reach, but it's not supported - I mean, it's just kind of hanging there. Is this bad for the baby?

Most manufacturers say "for naps only" but the Baby Bargains book says it's okay for nighttime sleeping, which is what I'd use it for (both, actually).

I prefer the ones with mesh sides. But I feel somehow guilty letting baby sleep in this. And I know the weight requirements are less than that of a bassinet or co-sleeper.

Also, if I get a pnp, would it be the same just to get a portable crib instead? (Which is better)

BASSINET

This seems to comfort me, though I haven't looked at many (BBRUS only had one or two). It's comforting b/c I know people have used these for ages, and the PnP or Arm's reach is a newer invention. I probably wouldn't get a cradle, but I can put a Bassinet next to my bed. I'd still have to get up (maybe not as convenient as, say, a PnP bassinet with mesh sides to just open an eye and see the baby. But maybe I'd sleep better? Feel safer, the thing is sturdier, the baby would sleep better?

It's really hard to know these answers ahead of time, and I don't want to get into something where I'm sleep deprived, and whatever I decide on isn't working.

My first concern is the safety of the sleep environment. Second is comfort for everyone. Third is if I have to buy one thing for three months, one for the next three, etc.. and size. But those last things aren't really important - I just want to get through the first six-eight months before I put baby in crib in sep. room.

WatchingThemGrow
04-12-2009, 11:16 AM
Do you have much room in your bedroom or to store the device after you finish using it? Our bedroom is tiny and our attic is full.

Those things determined our choice and we used the Bugaboo bassinet that was part of our stroller. Friends have used the Travel Lite by Graco happily, but also had another PnP (still Graco) set up elsewhere in the house to put the baby to sleep during the daytime. We just rolled the stroller to where we were hanging out. (our house is small and single story)

The PnP bassinet did bother DD when she wasn't swaddled or had her arms out b/c the mesh would make enough noise to startle her. DS was fine with it, though - or maybe we just put him in his crib for naps so DD wouldn't wake him.

We only kept the baby in our room for 2-2.5 mos, then happily let them sleep in the crib as long as they possibly could. I was ready to sleep for longer periods by that time and hearing every little noise got annoying.

hillview
04-12-2009, 11:21 AM
I liked having a PNP for DSs when they were little. DSs both slept with us for a while (couple of weeks) but we had the PNP for gradual transition for sleeping and for changing. Both DSs slept in the bassinett part of the PNP for a couple of months before moving to a crib. I also liked the PNP for travel and for visitors. It folds up smallish and travels well. I think it is the most flexible option.
/hillary

MCsMom
04-12-2009, 01:12 PM
DD stayed in her Mini Convertible Arm's Reach until about 4 months when DH accidentally put her in her crib to sleep due to miscommunication LOL I wasn't ready but DD slept through the night in her crib and has slept in her room with the Sony monitor since then. I really liked having DD next to me. In the beginning, I would reach over to check if she was breathing constantly. But gradually, we got used to each other's sounds:D
I liked the Arm's Reach a lot. It folds up much like a PNP except it's smaller and IMO a little sturdier. We got ours from the website along with extra sheets and the extension kit. The sheets I wish were softer but they fit really well. Under that, we have used a waterproof pad, although I am not sure where that came from. We have taken it to the IL's house when we didn't have a bed for her there yet. A friend that had a CS delivery is now borrowing it.
We live in a townhouse and we have a PNP in the living room for changes and a safe place for DD to be if I have to go to the kitchen, etc. The bassinet was good for naps while it lasted. DD has never fallen/stayed asleep in the PNP as a play yard though.
I hope that helps!
P.S. Is the motion monitor you got the one that makes a sound if the baby doesn't move for 20 seconds? I was going to try that but DH said it might drive him crazy...

Lila
04-12-2009, 01:36 PM
P.S. Is the motion monitor you got the one that makes a sound if the baby doesn't move for 20 seconds? I was going to try that but DH said it might drive him crazy...

Yes, that's the one. Do you think it would work with the arm's reach?

MCsMom
04-29-2009, 12:21 AM
Sorry!

I am not sure how it is supposed to go under the mat the baby sleeps on in the co-sleeper. I think the sensor is supposed to go underneath the mat but in the co-sleeper, what is beneath is a fabric liner and 2 bars that hold the mat up at bassinet height. Maybe you might have to add a piece of plywood or something like that?