PDA

View Full Version : Mom Says Dresser Should Match Crib

Lila
04-12-2009, 01:41 PM
I'm getting the Bonavita Lifestyle Crib and the Amy Coe Strattford (I think) dresser changer combo. Mom says they should match. :(

Our room is so tiny that we'll be lucky if we can even fit both in there! The dresser is nice and slim and I can't fit both a changer and dresser. We just bought the Amy Coe yesterday at BBRUS b/c they're discontinuing them, and there was only 100 left - but it was $269, so I want to make the right decision. Except, I don't want to have a big old traditional dresser.

(Sorry I don't have pics)

Melaine
04-12-2009, 01:47 PM
My opinion on this is, pick a dresser that doesn't look like a changing table, that you like and you know you can use for years. Stick the changing pad on top and don't worry whether it matches the crib exactly....
I guess it might be different if you know you are going to have several kids and will truly be using the changing table as a changing table for years and years....(I don't know many people who use them that way for very long.)

hillview
04-12-2009, 02:45 PM
Ours don't match. They are similar wood colors. The crib goes away but the dresser is here to stay so I agree with pp. Pick a dresser you love. But I am not a matchy-matchy person in general.
/hillary

ThreeofUs
04-12-2009, 02:51 PM
We don't match, either. We have high quality dressers, which the boys will be able to take with them when they are setting up their own places.

We also like an eclectic look - why match, after all?

elliput
04-12-2009, 04:57 PM
I don't have any furniture that matches (unless you count the dining table and chairs as separate units).

Do what works for you and your budget. If Mom thinks they should match, she can fork over the $$$. :wink2:

alexsmommy
04-12-2009, 05:01 PM
You won't use the crib very long - so don't sweat it. It's good that you are not getting caught up in the idea that the nursery has to be all matchy-matchy - do what makes sense financially and for your space. The baby won't know. Tell your mom if she's that worried about it she can foot the bill for some very expensive, high-end nursery bedding and accessories to distract from the slight difference in the furniture lol.

WatchingThemGrow
04-12-2009, 06:15 PM
I do like the wood tones to match, so I was glad when the ILs offered to buy the furniture. Totally agree with the "find a nice dresser" and put a changing pad on top idea. That's what we do.

Wife_and_mommy
04-12-2009, 07:08 PM
I found a similar color dresser to match the crib. We bought DS's bbb a few weeks ago and it's slightly darker than the dreser but works. I like my furniture to match but am not anal about it.

The crib is used for such a short period of time relative to childhood, I wouldn't stress about it if you don't mind it. Mom can definitely pony up for a matching set if it bothers her so much. ;) Even then I'd get a dresser that you'll be able to use for many years.

Congratulations. :)

DebbieJ
04-12-2009, 07:18 PM
Ours aren't an exact match. We have a Pali crib and a regular dresser--can't remember the brand--it was a very popular brand 5 years ago here on the BBB. They are similar wood tones, but not exact.

hellokitty
04-12-2009, 07:29 PM
Why does it matter that your mom wants it to match? It's YOUR baby's nursery, if you think it looks fine, then go with it.

Lila
04-12-2009, 07:50 PM
Yeah, the thing is I don't know that this will be the "be all, end all" dresser - but we are moving into a small apartment and probably won't get a bigger house for 2-3 years, so by then, I'd have more room and get something else, but for right now, well, this will have to do. The room can't handle a big dresser. And if I do have another kid, we can always use this again or ... sell this on Craigslist and buy something else; figure it won't get what we paid, but something at least.

thanks!!

I don't know if you can see these links, but this is what I'm talking about:

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3046099&fromRegistryNumber=97200762&product_skn=21093

And the crib:

http://mybabyscrib.net/bopelicr.html

The dresser is a "walnut" and the crib, unless I can find it in a similar color will be a chestnut or espresso - whatever matches more.

newg
04-12-2009, 09:19 PM
The peyton crib will be with you for a while (crib, toddler bed, full size bed) and I've been told it's a very popular style that will be around a while; so once you move into a bigger place with a bigger room for dc you can always get the other furniture that matches. Right now just do what works best for your room situation.
Is there any way you can put a dresser/changing table in the closet?
That would create more space and baby clothes don't hang very low at all! You could also do a closet system for all of dc's stuff and just do something like this........for the changing table.......

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2857722

I don't know; this could be the same size as the one you already mentioned.