PDA

View Full Version : A nature question for you- manatee vs alligator

SnuggleBuggles
04-13-2009, 03:50 PM
We were in FL recently and in the trip we saw lots of wildlife. One scenario is bugging me and I wondered if anyone knew the answer.

So, we were near a river and there was a manatee really floundering around in the water- big splashes, really aggitated. About 6' away was an alligator staring at it.

Would the alligator try and attack the manatee? Dh says no because the manatee was so big. I disagree and think that the manatee was in danger.

I know nothing about FL wildlife. I wish we could have stayed and seen how it played out but we were at the mercy of the NASA tour bus driver. Maybe I don't want to know what happened. Any thoughts?

Beth

BillK
04-13-2009, 03:59 PM
I would doubt an Alligator or Crocodile would prey on a Manatee. Gator's typically are after fish - or other things they can swallow whole (they don't chew their food) - so unless a Gator could shake something so violently as to rip a hunk off to swallow - I doubt they'd really bother - and other than flippers - they're not a lot of stuff hanging off a big old chunky Manatee.

Now as far as a Manatee calf goes - I'd guess a Gator "might" go after one if desperate enough - but again - I doubt it - Manatee calves are born at about 80 or so pounds - so even at birth they're pushing the limits of what a Gator would go after.

egoldber
04-13-2009, 04:02 PM
A quick Google search indicates no. :)

MistieandMichael
04-13-2009, 04:13 PM
The manatee was probably spooked to see a gator so close and was uncomfortable. But, like above...everything I've found says they don't. Crazy world of animals!

SnuggleBuggles
04-13-2009, 05:05 PM
Thanks! Dh figured the manatee was just spooked too.

Beth

tnrnchick74
04-13-2009, 08:26 PM
I've lived in FL for a lot of my childhood. The only times I've heard of a gator attacking a manatee was if the manatee was very ill, or if food was super scarce for the gator. That's not the case right now, so probably not an issue.