PDA

View Full Version : Logistics of flying with kids when they outnumber you?

todzwife
04-13-2009, 07:10 PM
My friend and her husband are taking a trip to Disneyland with their 3 kids. They are Disney vets, so the park part isn't the problem. She's unsure of how to work the whole airport/rental car part with the kids and a weeks worth of stuff.

Her kids are 8, 4 and 6 months.

I need tips on luggage, strollers, car seat coordination etc. Since 2 of her kids are still in harnessed seats. The 8 YO isn't in anything.

Any suggestions on good bags to bring? She's nursing, but he takes some formula and baby food.

Is it better to buy stuff when you get there (I know there is a Target close by) or take it all with you?

Is a double or a single stroller a better idea?

Momof3Labs
04-13-2009, 10:41 PM
As far as the airport/rental car part goes, we find that it works great for DH to go get the rental car with a child or two in tow, along with the car seats (we use them on the plane or gate check them to minimize the chance of them being lost in transit) and maybe some of the carryon bags while I deal with claiming the baggage. When DS2 was fully confined to a stroller, he would stay with me. Now, DS1 usually stays with me. In your friend's case, I would send the DH with the two older kids and all car seats to get the rental car, and she can claim the baggage while holding the infant in a sling.

DH gets the rental car, gets the seats installed, and comes around to pick me up.

We'd bring a couple of days worth of baby supplies (or ship them ahead to the hotel) and pick up the rest at a grocery store at the beginning of the trip.

She'll need a double stroller at Disney, so why not just take one through the airport to confine car seats, carry-ons and a child or two? And definitely bring a good sling for the baby.

todzwife
04-13-2009, 11:19 PM
Thanks Lori :)

Hope you are feeling well!!!

soonerfan
04-14-2009, 04:51 PM
I fly a lot with anywhere from 1 to 3 kids by myself. Here are my tips:

1. Take a double stroller, for sure. If she has a Disney Visa, she can get one at DL for free.

2. Take a good baby carrier. We actually did Disneyland with a single stroller and a Beco with an almost 3 and a 7 month old. It was fine, for the most part, and one day we rented another single stroller. You can wear the baby on many of the rides.

3. For the plane, we traveled with a cosco scenara (our travel seat for the oldest since it is small/light), and an infant seat for the baby. Usually, when we go through the airport, I wear the baby and oldest rides in the stroller. Alternatively, you can use the stroller to push the carseat.

4. For travel, we usually take the very first flight of the day and leave the kids in their jammies for the first leg of the flight. I pack a change of clothes in a carryon and we change at the first stop or once we get to the final airport. This means I already have a spare outfit without having to pack lots of extras. It also means no shoes to deal with at security (since they both wear footies. And yes, a baby has to take off shoes if they are wearing them.

5. Whether I travel alone or with DH, this is what I take on the plane:
carryon with: change of clothes for each child, shirt and underwear for me, sippy cup for each, 6-8 diapers (depends on flight), toiletries, camera, travel info

purse/diaper bag

carseat

small rolling bag for oldest (backpack roller) with perhaps 2 dollies, 4-5 books (paperback only so as not to be heavy), blankie, 2 toys for baby. Kids, I have found, do not play with stuff on planes. My daughter likes to read a book or play with a barbie type doll, look out the window and eat the snacks.

6. Once we get there, I always wear the baby because it gives me more free hands to help with bags in the airport. We usually take the bus to pick up the car.

7. baby stuff- I pack about a day and a half worth of stuff (wipes, snacks, dipes) and we pick up the rest there.

It is really not that bad to travel with kids. I flew with an 18 month old, a 2.5 year old and a 5 year old, two of whom were in diapers and had loose stools, and it was still not that bad.