PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here used labor ready

trales
04-13-2009, 08:11 PM
We have some manual labor that needs to be done, a building taken down. I got estimates from local handymen. They want about 3,000. I can get a dumpster for 500 and labor ready wants 20 per hour per person. They handle all the insurance etc.

Here is my reservation. When I called to inquire, the woman "reassured" me that they have all the people take a behavioral assessment to weed out the really violent and drug addicted ones. Hmmmmm.

Any experiences. good, bad.

mommymy
04-13-2009, 09:07 PM
"Here is my reservation. When I called to inquire, the woman "reassured" me that they have all the people take a behavioral assessment to weed out the really violent and drug addicted ones. Hmmmmm. "

Never used them but just had to say that the woman's response was funny. Umm...don't know if I'd use them especially with kids around.

Nooknookmom
04-13-2009, 09:17 PM
"Here is my reservation. When I called to inquire, the woman "reassured" me that they have all the people take a behavioral assessment to weed out the really violent and drug addicted ones. Hmmmmm. "

Never used them but just had to say that the woman's response was funny. Umm...don't know if I'd use them especially with kids around.

I inquired about their labor pool once for my business (construction), after some digging I learned that it is mostly drifters & parolee's that sign up w/ that type of service. Those people that can't or don't want to locate a permanent position w/ a typical company.

The response you received was a good indicator of the type of person that may be sent to your house. I'd skip it. ETA: This was a while ago & I don't know what state your in so the demographics may be different.

jgenie
04-13-2009, 09:53 PM
Here is my reservation. When I called to inquire, the woman "reassured" me that they have all the people take a behavioral assessment to weed out the really violent and drug addicted ones. Hmmmmm.

No way - I believe the man that kidnapped Elizabeth Smart was a temporary laborer her father hired to do some work around the house. Too much of a risk for my comfort.

gatorsmom
04-13-2009, 10:31 PM
When I called to inquire, the woman "reassured" me that they have all the people take a behavioral assessment to weed out the really violent and drug addicted ones. Hmmmmm.

Any experiences. good, bad.

You have to expect that for just occasional jobs, you are not going to get the cream of the crop, labor-wise. I worked for a company that hired forklift drivers and it was the same situation- most of the people who applied had some sort of prison record. I NEVER had any trouble with them. They were always very respectful to me. However, we never hired anyone who had committed a felony. That is where we drew the line.

We've had people do work on our house before who had prison records. There are many people out there who've made some mistakes and are now having a hard time finding work because that record follows them. I'd ask their employer what kind of referrences they can give you or if they've checked referrences on any of these people. I'd also ask if they hire felons. If not, I'd consider it.

daniele_ut
04-13-2009, 11:41 PM
No way - I believe the man that kidnapped Elizabeth Smart was a temporary laborer her father hired to do some work around the house. Too much of a risk for my comfort.

He was a homeless man that her dad picked up in town, but yes he was hired as a temporary laborer. Imagine how thrilled I was to come home today to find that dh had picked up a homeless guy to help with yard work. We live across town from the Smarts and Elizabeth was in the orchestra my dh taught while he was in grad school.:rolleye0014:

kijip
04-14-2009, 01:01 AM
Labor Ready DOES not "screen". My brother, the one with a (minor) criminal record walked in and was working that day. No time to screen. Frankly no time to even verify eligibility to work or check for back child support, as required by law in my state. Additionally they charge you $20 and those guys get $8-10. Some of the people he worked with were very iffy dudes though many people at Labor Ready are just down on their luck folks looking for a a day's pay for a day of work. While I am sure it varies from place to place and that the official standards of Labor Ready are perhaps higher than those in practice at various places, I am very turned off by them. Not only for the potential employer but then how they pay and treat their employees...they charge a fee to cash their own paychecks. I would be more inclined to go to your state's employment office and post a gig or see if anyone in the neighborhood needs cash- like a neighbor's teenager and a few of his or her friends. Or stimulate the local economy and use the licensed handyman services (maybe ask for a discount- all they can do is say no, but maybe business is slow). If he has good references and no BBB/state complaints, it might be the best deal in terms of time and aggravation.

o_mom
04-14-2009, 07:23 AM
We've had people do work on our house before who had prison records. ...

Totally off topic, but reminds me of the friend that had his roof done and half the crew showed up with ankle bracelets... not the jewelry kind. I also knew someone that used quite a few general laborers for his business and he said the parolees were actually pretty good because he told them up front that if they didn't show the first call was to the parole officer.