PDA

View Full Version : Tripp Trapp dangerous? (link to video. Stokke response in post #15)

infomama
04-14-2009, 09:31 AM
I was looking into getting a Tripp Trapp for DD2 who hates her high chair but this video *really* makes it look unsafe. DD2 often pushes away from the table (we pull her high chair up so she eats at the table with us and not on the tray) just like this little baby. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJF7vD9nFrA
Thoughts appreciated from those who have TT...

Momof3Labs
04-14-2009, 09:51 AM
We have the original Kinderzeat and have used it for over 5 years with both boys. Neither has ever managed to tip it like that (and not for a lack of trying) or in any other way, for that matter. That one looks to have a shorter base - that is, the "feet" on ours stick out further behind the chair, I believe. We don't have the high back either as the baby accessories came out with a later model of the chair.

ETA: We switched both boys into the Kinderzeat at 18 months old, which may or may not matter.

shawnandangel
04-14-2009, 10:12 AM
Oh my goodness. That does appear to be a problem with the design doesn't it? I don't have a tripp trapp and would probably never buy one just because of the price, but I do wonder if this video was reported to the CPSC.

hellokitty
04-14-2009, 10:23 AM
My kids have both done that before, but were freaked out enough (we have the kinderzeat) after one time that they have not done it again...

nov04
04-14-2009, 10:30 AM
dd2 looked like she was headed for doing the same thing with a booster seat on an ordinary chair. We put plastic, slippery gliders on the bottoms. If she pushes against the table, her chair/booster just glides back.

brittone2
04-14-2009, 10:34 AM
We have the original Kinderzeat and have used it for over 5 years with both boys. Neither has ever managed to tip it like that (and not for a lack of trying) or in any other way, for that matter. That one looks to have a shorter base - that is, the "feet" on ours stick out further behind the chair, I believe. We don't have the high back either as the baby accessories came out with a later model of the chair.

ETA: We switched both boys into the Kinderzeat at 18 months old, which may or may not matter.

Pretty much the same here. DS is 5 and has been using his since he was 15-18 months or so. (we bought a KZ, not a TT). DD used the chair pretty early as well, without any problems (she's a little over 2 now).

eta: DD was in a booster at my parents' house a few months ago and pushed their very heavy chair backwards and hit her head. So IMO a booster seat used with most chairs is likely to be just as dangerous or moreso.

infomama
04-14-2009, 10:37 AM
eta: DD was in a booster at my parents' house a few months ago and pushed their very heavy chair backwards and hit her head. So IMO a booster seat used with most chairs is likely to be just as dangerous or moreso.
ITA..boosters aren't even an option with us.

Ceepa
04-14-2009, 10:46 AM
Yikes! I see that baby's head tipping back toward the floor and even though I know the dad is right there I cringe.

WatchingThemGrow
04-14-2009, 10:47 AM
My DD flipped her KZ during a tantrum over a year ago, but I really like that when it is adjusted properly, there is a resting spot for her feet. That's one of the real bonuses for me, regarding the design of this chair. It gives the feet a place to sit AND it is designed not tip as easily as chairs with boosters attached or chairs that a 4 yo may sit in w/o a booster b/c they see them as "babyish."

Melaine posted about the glider extenders or extender gliders (whichever it is) that came with her new one. I'll try to come back and link to them later.

lovin2shop
04-14-2009, 11:54 AM
We have a Kinderzeat and have never had that problem. But, I was looking at the Tripp Trap the other day and was thinking that it looked quite a bit smaller than the KZ, especially the length of the legs. I've been meaning to come here and ask about it. My 6 yr old likes the KZ still, so I was thinking about getting a TT for my 15 mo. old to use soon. I'm so ready to get rid of the highchair! My 6 yr old might get booted from the KZ instead.

clc053103
04-14-2009, 12:20 PM
I just got in DS's tripp trapp and it just slides backwards. Iours has felt pads on it to protect the floor, but even before I put them on the chair slid a lot. I have studied the chair and tried tipping it back like that and honestly, the chair seems far too heavy for that to work.

I would love to see Stokke's response to this- is this really possible?

DrSally
04-14-2009, 12:23 PM
My nephew was in a booster seat and pushed back from the table, fell into a bannister (dividing 2 rooms) and needed stitches in his head. We have talked to DS about how he doesn't get off his booster without help from mom or dad. So, he has to ask to get down, which is ok, b/c then I can make sure he goes right to the sink to wash hands. It's mostly a pain when I'm dealing with DD and can't get there right away.

ETA: This wasn't a trip trap though.

infomama
04-14-2009, 12:26 PM
I would love to see Stokke's response to this- is this really possible?
Based on the video and some of the responses here it appears it can be done with little effort.

MontrealMum
04-14-2009, 01:09 PM
We have not had this sort of trouble with ours, but it is the older model and has the baby rail, not the extended seat back. When DS pushes back - and this is with LOTS of effort, not like in the video - it just slides along the floor. And he is also putting a LOT of force into his pushes away from the table - he's a much stronger and bigger baby than the one in the video.

I can see how the new configuration of the higher seat back might contribute to the tipping problem - it changes the levering capabilities by changing the center of gravity. But look at the video closely. That small child is pushing the highchair over with just his thumbs The chair starts tipping first, then the baby's whole hands hit the table and the feet come up eventually and push. The second time the baby initiates the "fall" with one hand only. That video has been doctored. It's just a little too suspect for me to start panicking. I'm not saying it couldn't happen - other posters have said that it has - but I doubt that it could happen with so little force - a baby's thumbs? and so smoothly. Look at that nice controlled arc as the chair goes back. If it was really falling it would occur at a much faster rate as the weight of the baby contributed to the momentum. That video has been edited to show the picture that the YouTube poster wanted to portray.

I might add that having something (that looks like rubber) attached to the bottom of the chair, as in the video, is going to impede the chair's natural progression and tendancy to slide backwards and make it more likely to tip.

infomama
04-14-2009, 01:23 PM
I would love to see Stokke's response to this

Just got off the phone with them and here is what the rep said:
1) Stokke is aware of the youtube video and have tried to have it removed from youtube but due to "freedom of speech" they can not have it taken down.
2) The video is made in Europe and the child is being "coached" into putting his feet on the table and push back.
3) The table in the video has a lip on it and since the chair is not pushed under the table it is not being used properly and they can not be responsible since it's not being used as instructed. (I don't get this part as the baby pushed himself easily away from the table)
4) The Kinderzeat is no longer being made and the new Tripp Trapps come with extention gliders. The gliders are designed to be used on tile floors or floors that may have a groove that the chair might catch in but are also useful for stability as they add 2-3 inches to the base
The rep never tried to deny the authenticity of the video and it looks real to me.

writermama
04-14-2009, 01:28 PM
We have the original Kinderzeat and have used it for over 5 years with both boys. Neither has ever managed to tip it like that (and not for a lack of trying) or in any other way, for that matter.

:yeahthat: But girls instead of boys. And change to zeat from traditional high chair at 2 years.

That video looks fishy to me.

GaPeach_in_Ca
04-14-2009, 01:58 PM
DD was in a booster at my parents' house a few months ago and pushed their very heavy chair backwards and hit her head. So IMO a booster seat used with most chairs is likely to be just as dangerous or moreso.

My older son did this same thing at our house with the Fisher Price Healthy Care booster. Shocked and scared us! We were not expecting it at all.

clc053103
04-14-2009, 02:36 PM
Just got off the phone with them and here is what the rep said:
1) Stokke is aware of the youtube video and have tried to have it removed from youtube but due to "freedom of speech" they can not have it taken down.
2) The video is made in Europe and the child is being "coached" into putting his feet on the table and push back.
3) The table in the video has a lip on it and since the chair is not pushed under the table it is not being used properly and they can not be responsible since it's not being used as instructed. (I don't get this part as the baby pushed himself easily away from the table)
4) The Kinderzeat is no longer being made and the new Tripp Trapps come with extention gliders. The gliders are designed to be used on tile floors or floors that may have a groove that the chair might catch in but are also useful for stability as they add 2-3 inches to the base
The rep never tried to deny the authenticity of the video and it looks real to me.

Thanks, I had sent them an email- you chose the faster route! My TT does not have the extenders- if this is a widespread issue, why wouldn't they offer them free to all current users? I don't think I'd get them b/c my DS at a lower level on our floor just can't do it. But for those using the high back infant attachment?

GlindaGoodWitch
04-14-2009, 02:54 PM
Holy Moly! We thought that DD had figured this out on her own. She's 2 (almost 3) and has tipped herself over in the thing once. We have a glass table top and she could reach the legs of the table and push with enough force to knock herself over. It scared the poop out of us, so DH rigged a rope/d-ring device to keep her from doing it again.

Their response kinda pisses me off.

Where are *MY* extenders? (If they knew this was a problem?)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v158/ThurstonHowellIII/P4144899.jpg

clc053103
04-14-2009, 05:44 PM
I got an email response from STokke with basically the same info- though she did add that this person has never come forward to Stokke, and they have not been able to locate him either. It seems his purpose of having his child repeatedly do this (seriously, if this were my DC that did it, i would tell him NO, watch him like a hawk and never let him do it ever again! I wouldn't encourage replays!!!) is to harm Stokke. Strange.

elliput
04-14-2009, 10:37 PM
I just finished reading through the comments posted by "jamestripptrapp", apparently this video was originally taken in 2005. He says that his son is once again using the TT now that he is older and has the seat lower. He lives in Ireland which explains the European model baby rail and seat.

I did not have the TT when DD was an infant, and we have always used it on hardwood or laminate floors (as is recommended in the manual) so it slides really easily. I have a TT for DS also, but there is nothing about the video poster's experience which will dissuade me from continuing to use it.

clc053103
04-15-2009, 01:13 PM
By the way- I asked why people weren't being offered extenders, and they say anyone who calls will be offered the extenders if they wish.

amyfunk
04-15-2009, 01:53 PM
I think this chair is the best high chair out there. As always, you need to be in control of your child at all times. Use common sense when putting such a young child in the Tripp Trapp ( I watched the video). My three year old has been sitting in his for over a year and the chair helped us teach him the correct way of sitting and how to act.

Be strict on your child.

Hope this helps

ABF

GlindaGoodWitch
04-15-2009, 02:30 PM
By the way- I asked why people weren't being offered extenders, and they say anyone who calls will be offered the extenders if they wish.

Oh man BIG FAT LIE.

I called and they referred me to a place where I can purchase them.

Just wanted to update & say that I called back today, got a different person and they are shipping out the gliders free of charge.

GlindaGoodWitch
04-15-2009, 02:44 PM
I think this chair is the best high chair out there. As always, you need to be in control of your child at all times. Use common sense when putting such a young child in the Tripp Trapp ( I watched the video). My three year old has been sitting in his for over a year and the chair helped us teach him the correct way of sitting and how to act.

Be strict on your child.

Hope this helps

ABF

With all due respect, that's great advice for the SECOND time your kid starts to monkey around in the chair. And personally speaking, with 2 kids under the age of 3, being in control of your child(ren) at all times is unrealistic. I have to say that I resent the implication that since my 2 year old was able to tip herself over in the chair, I'm somehow lacking in the discipline department.

I can promise you CPS has never been called to our house and the chair tipping happened in the blink of an eye when I had stepped away to refill her cup.

What I take away from the video (whether it was the intent of the author or not) is that tipping is a possibility - and when the chair is marketed for infants with the baby harness and whatnot, I would never guess that to be an issue.

SoloMelody
04-15-2009, 02:57 PM
Aside from whether this can or cannot happen, pay attention to the shadows on the floor under the TT and compare to other shadows in video, the motion of the chair and the smooth gradual tipping....something just does not feel right.....

I am inclined to believe that the video has been tweaked with some imaging software...

clc053103
04-15-2009, 03:13 PM
Aside from whether this can or cannot happen, pay attention to the shadows on the floor under the TT and compare to other shadows in video, the motion of the chair and the smooth gradual tipping....something just does not feel right.....

I am inclined to believe that the video has been tweaked with some imaging software...

OMG you are right, the shadows move like the video was doctored. Something just doesn't sit well with me- besides the issues you've pointed out, why would this guy encourage his DS to repeatedly do this? why on earth does this guy post this video three months ago that actually occurred in 2005? What is his motivation?

It disturbs me that Stokke isn't just sending out those extenders, Glenda call back and tell them I have it in writing that they are offering them!!!

elliput
04-15-2009, 04:04 PM

Be strict on your child.

Hope this helps

ABF

While I agree the TT is probably the best chair out there, being in control of and being strict with your child at all times is much easier said than done. Common sense is fine for adults, but children don't adhere to it.