PDA

View Full Version : Just got my Beco -- question about proper wearing

Nechums
04-14-2009, 02:13 PM
After lurking on the Carrier forum for a while, I decided to give myself a Passover present and buy a Beco Butterfly II. I went to a store where the woman showed me exactly how to wear it properly, but of course I was so excited with my purchase that I completely forgot the pointers she gave me. Now that I'm trying to recreate the perfect fit at home, I'm finding it difficult to get it just right.

For those of you who are Beco owners, can you recommend any pointers on how to wear it properly? For example -- where should the waist strap lie? And how tight/loose should the shoulder straps be? And how tight/loose should the chest strap me? etc.

Any advice would be appreciated! I want this to be as comfortable as I know it should be!

Thanks!

MontrealMum
04-14-2009, 02:23 PM
I think where you wear the chest strap depends on your bust size :tongue5: and DH doesn't usually fasten it at all because he has a broad chest and some nerve problems in his neck. If you're nursing you might find it irritating to have it across your chest - I don't know. When I wear the Beco I just put it where it feels comfortable, most of the weight should be born by the lower belt in any case, which I fasten around my hips like when wearing a backpack. I find it more comfortable to wear DS higher up on my back than lower down - the weight is better up there. I don't wear him in front anymore, but I'd imagine I might wear him a bit lower down...depends where baby's head hits you I guess!

Did your Beco come with a DVD? Mine did, and I found it quite helpful. I think there might be some wearing info on the website too. Basically, though, I treat it like a backpack and adjust it accordingly. You want the bulk of the weight to be higher up. I think the adjustment matters more the heavier/longer your child is. I think yours is quite small, though, so you probably have more options at this point. As they get heavier it will become much more obvious what the comfortable position (for your back!) is.

Nechums
04-14-2009, 04:01 PM
I found that the DVD wasn't very clear on how to adjust the different webbings to best fit your body. I guess it'll just be trial and error until I get it (at my back's cost).

Snow mom
04-14-2009, 05:01 PM
The folks at TBW are really helpful with getting carriers adjusted properly. You can search their SSC forum for tips on adjusting the Beco or post pictures and people will help you with adjustments. Here's some basic info I've figured out (we're still front carrying FWIW.)
-Most people prefer to keep the straps at the top quite tight. If you feel like your LO is leaning back too far, tighten these straps.
-The waist can be worn at whichever level is comfortable for you, but make sure it is nice and tight so it is supporting most of the weight.
-I like to loosen the shoulder straps quite a bit more than my DH does and I think whatever is comfy for you is fine.

Keep playing with the adjustments any time it seems uncomfortable and hopefully you'll figure out what you prefer.

jenny
04-21-2009, 09:45 AM
I have a beco butterfly 2 and really like it. It was hard to get the fit right the first day but I figured it out eventually with the help of the moms on TBW.

The waist strap should sit at or above your waist. The baby (if you're doing the front position) should be at your breastbone or higher. The shoulder straps should be tightened as much as it feels comfy. I like it closer to my body. The strap that goes across your back should be at your shoulder blades and shouldn't be too tight (this will cause back and shoulder ache).

Here are some pics I posted on flikr when I was first trying to get the hang of it and asking advice to moms on TBW. I commented on some of the pics b/c I've since figured out how to get it comfy. But the moms on TBW said the position looked good. In my previous pics, which i deleted, I had the baby too low in the front cary, which I adjusted by tightening the long straps.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/28462220@N08/