PDA

View Full Version : WWYD- need advice for chewing on the crib

gatorsmom
04-14-2009, 11:02 PM
Greenbean has some sensory issues. He is VERY oral and chews on the crib all the time. Not only has he completely worn away the finish on the railing but he is chewing the wood off! If you run your finger along the inside edge of the railing it feels like dry terry cloth with little soft wood pieces sticking out. I asked the pediatrician about it and she said to buy a plastic rail guard. I called poison control and they weren't worried about it too much but said that he'd probably start chewing on the plastic and which would I rather have him chew on- plastic or pressed wood? They both have some unsavory chemicals.

What would you do?

bubbaray
04-14-2009, 11:07 PM
Call it fibre?

What about using a Crib Shield? That covers the top rail.

malphy
04-14-2009, 11:12 PM
I used fabric rail cover as I had the same problem better than splinters in the mouth.

deannanb
04-15-2009, 06:30 AM
here are some comments from a few weeks ago
http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=319036&highlight=crib+rail

the cloth cover looks good

hillview
04-15-2009, 08:28 AM
I didn't notice when DS #1 did this til we took the crib out of his room. I assume it was good fiber etc.
/hillary

clb
04-15-2009, 08:51 AM
I tried the Prince Lionheart rail covers when DS was teething. He pulled them off after a short time. He pulled so hard he fell backward into the other side of the crib. I haven't tried the cloth rail covers.

mamaoftwins
04-15-2009, 09:03 AM
We use the Prince Lionheart plastic covers (it comes in 4 pieces) with a fabric rail cover over it. It helps, but is not perfect.

gatorsmom
04-15-2009, 03:47 PM
We use the Prince Lionheart plastic covers (it comes in 4 pieces) with a fabric rail cover over it. It helps, but is not perfect.

thanks for the replies. Ill look into these rail guards. I honestly think Greenbean will eat the fabric covers. He likes to pull at the threads of his favorite blanket with his teeth til the threads tear so he can chew on them. He's crazy. :)