PDA

View Full Version : At what age did you remove the safety rails from your DC bed?

HIU8
04-15-2009, 10:29 AM
DS is almost 4 1/2. He has a captains bed with one side against a wall. On the other side there is a safety rail that has been there since he started using the bed 2.5 years ago. He has never fallen out (of his bed, or any other bed). He does not even sleep near the railing--as in not up against it. Next to the railing he has a body pillow that he likes to hug when he is falling asleep. Sometimes he turns and the top of his head is near the railing and his feet are near the wall. I would like to remove the railing. DS, however, is not good with that. We talked about it and he said he didn't want it removed. DS is the type of child that has to be convinced (long and hard) to do something before he will try it. Should I leave it alone and revisit when he is 5?

o_mom
04-15-2009, 10:31 AM
If he doesn't want it removed and you have no pressing reason to, then I would leave it. DS1 was around 5 when we switched to a twin bed with no rail from the toddler bed.

Momof3Labs
04-15-2009, 10:35 AM
We still have a rail on DS1's bed. When we tried to take it off, he fell out again (he's a very, very deep sleeper). He sleeps pretty close to the rail, and the bed is quite high off the ground. I have no problem keeping it on there - it isn't a big deal either way IMO.

KrisM
04-15-2009, 10:36 AM
I'd just leave it there. If it isn't bothering him or if there isn't another reason to take it off, leaving it seems fine.

We never had a rail - just a twin boxspring and mattress on the floor. Neither kid fell off more than once.

HIU8
04-15-2009, 10:39 AM
I guess I will wait for him to tell me that he wants it off. Meanwhile, the mattress sits on a platform that is covered in some material (this platform sits on top of 3 2x4's that are attached to the bed). The legs on the bedrail have ripped holes in the material on the platform (not a big deal, just annoying since the rail doesn't get moved).

JBaxter
04-15-2009, 11:03 AM
I never had rails on any of their beds

Moneypenny
04-15-2009, 11:18 AM
We started DD with no rail and she was fine for a couple of months and then suddenly started falling out. We stuck a rolled up beach towel under her fitted sheet at the edge for several months and just removed that a while ago (she's 4.5 now). Maybe your DS would accept a compromise of removing the rail and replacing it with the towel? It seems like the rail would make it a pain to make the bed while the towel is no problem at all.

DebbieJ
04-15-2009, 11:21 AM

We never used rails here either. He's only fallen out once or twice.

Wife_and_mommy
04-15-2009, 01:10 PM
I had wanted to remove my then 4.5yo when a friend of hers fell out after the rail was removed and broke her clavicle. We've already had one child with a broken bone in the last year so it's not a risk we're willing to take for the foreseeable future. DD doesn't seem to care that it's there either.

g-mama
04-15-2009, 01:45 PM

:yeahthat:

Tinkerbell313
04-15-2009, 01:58 PM
We have never had rails either. However, both our kids transition from the crib into a full size bed around the age of 2, giving them more room to move as well as one less bed we need to purchase as they get older and want a larger bed.

ett
04-15-2009, 02:40 PM
DS1 is a deep sleeper and major roller so we still have the rails on his bed. One time when DS1 was 3 and we were on vacation, he slept on a Thomas inflatable mattress which was slightly raised on both sides, but he still managed to roll off and under our bed. Imagine our confusion when we woke up to see him sleeping under our bed!

HIU8
04-15-2009, 02:51 PM
The bed DS has is a twin. Since it's a captains bed it's high off the floor (he needs a 2 step stool to get onto it). He really doesn't roll or anything. I would remove the rail if he would let me. I guess I will just keep it on until he is comfortable with me taking it off.

SnuggleBuggles
04-15-2009, 02:53 PM
I have never used rails and he has always been fine. Moved to a bed at around 3.5. One side is against the wall.

Beth

Gena
04-15-2009, 03:40 PM
DS has a twin bed with one side up against the wall. We moved him into this bed when he was 2 and had a safety rail on the other side. Just before DS turned 4, he managed to break the rail, so we took it down and did not replace it. He has never fallen out of bed.

C99
04-15-2009, 03:53 PM
My kids (now 6 and almost 4) have never slept with a safety rail on their twin-sized beds. DS1 has been in a bed since he was 3 and DD since she was 2.5y.