PDA

View Full Version : Things to do in LA besides Disneyland

Fairy
04-15-2009, 02:33 PM
We're going to be in LA at the end of May with our 4yo DS. We have two solid days, plus parts of others (I'll have parts of my days to be wtih the family, but two solid days for the three fo us). We're doing Disneyland for one day. One of the other days, DH is taking DS to Legoland. But any suggestions for other stuff to do as a family? Probably not interested in Grauman's or the Kodak scene (been there/done that/DS will be bored). What else do you recommend?

DebbieJ
04-15-2009, 02:46 PM
Go to Malibu! There is a great park inside a shopping area near Nobu (restaurant) and then you can hit the beach, too.

Santa Monica is similar--Third Street Promenade with lots of shopping and street performers, then you can walk over to the boardwalk and the beach.

Griffith Park is fantastic. Parks for kids and easy-ish hiking trails. The observatory is up there as well. Down the hill from the park is the Silver Lake neighborhood which is a bit more progressive/crunchy.

egoldber
04-15-2009, 02:58 PM
I really enjoyed the La Brea tar pits when I was there a few years ago. For a kid into science and dinosaurs it would be really fun.

elektra
04-15-2009, 03:07 PM
Where is your home base going to be? Near Disneyland? Even if you are staying in San Diego, I personally might just want to go to the beach! Corona Del Mar is a nice little beach in Orange County and Laguna Beach is great too. Laguna has a little art scene and beach town as well.

Or are you really wanting more Los Angeles?

Fairy
04-15-2009, 03:19 PM
We're actually staying in ... Padadena? Or is it LA? I think it's LA. It's the Beverly Garland Holiday Inn. Usually, I'm at the Sportsmans Lodge this time of year (to say I've totally had my fair share of Jerry's and Twain's is an understatement, but hey, at least there's a Starbucks!), but since I'm bringing the guys this year, we're staying at the nicer hotel free on DH's points. We'll have a car. My cousin is in Ojai ... not sure if that's doable. We're up for anything nearby -- no more than 90 minutes destination or so one way. The tar pits sound fun, actually.

star04
04-15-2009, 03:50 PM
I'm not sure how far away this will be from where you are staying, but in San Diego there is Sea World and the San Diego Zoo.

Karenn
04-15-2009, 05:17 PM
My kids thought playing on the beach was "better than Disneyland." :) It made for a nice, relaxing day, especially after the craziness of Disney.

DebbieJ
04-15-2009, 05:41 PM
We're actually staying in ... Padadena? Or is it LA? I think it's LA. It's the Beverly Garland Holiday Inn. Usually, I'm at the Sportsmans Lodge this time of year (to say I've totally had my fair share of Jerry's and Twain's is an understatement, but hey, at least there's a Starbucks!), but since I'm bringing the guys this year, we're staying at the nicer hotel free on DH's points. We'll have a car. My cousin is in Ojai ... not sure if that's doable. We're up for anything nearby -- no more than 90 minutes destination or so one way. The tar pits sound fun, actually.

Ah, the valley! I believe the Beverly Garland is technically North Hollywood, VERY close to Universal.

That Jerry's Deli is HORRENDOUS!!!! You should definitely check out Hugo's near the Whole Foods at Coldwater and Riverside. We had breakfast next to Cuba Gooding Jr there on New Year's Day one year. There are also quite a few eateries on Ventura between Coldwater and Laurel Canyon. You shouldn't have to suffer!

Driving out to Ojai will be a HAUL, especially dependent on traffic.

Getting to the Tar Pits won't be that hard if you wait til after the morning rush. Just head over the hill via Laurel Canyon and then make your way down through Hollywood/West Hollywood to the pits. It is an interesting place.

(I know my profile says IL, but I lived in LA for six years)

Tondi G
04-16-2009, 01:44 AM
If you do the Tar Pits you can also do thegrovela.com and the farmers market.

as far as beaches go Paradise Cove is nice... the beach is mellow, the restaurant is YUMMY. the bathrooms are clean.

http://www.paradisecovemalibu.com/beachcafe/index.htm

If you decide to go to Santa Monica and want to hit the pier and Pacific Park... go to an LA area Costco if you are a member. They sell unlimited ride wrist bands for 12.99 each... both adults and kids. We recently went and my 2 boys had a ball. I hadn't been to the SM Pier is a LONG time!

Griffith Park has trails, the pony rides and little train ride on the east side... the carousel up closer to the Zoo and a great playground called Shane's inspiration and on the burbank side Travel Town (trains). The LA Zoo is also a lot of fun and the exhibits are getting better and better. If you don't have a zoo nearby that you visit regularly you might give it a go!

In Pasadena, near the Rose Bowl, is the Kidspace Museum. Bring water shoes, a towel and a change of clothes!

brigeet
04-21-2009, 02:42 PM
Tondi, that's good advice! I live in OC and didn't know about some of the things you mentioned, especially the wristband at Costco. I keep wanting to go to Griffith too now that it has reopened, still haven't made it.

Fairy
04-21-2009, 02:48 PM
Thanks for all this advice!! We're narrowing this down:

* DH doesn't wanna do the tarpits. He thinks DS won't enjoy them till he's older (DS is 4). He does like dinosaurs, but he's not obsessed. I still think it could be fun, DH is leery.

* We were thinking about Universal. Now, I've been there in Orlando. Is it the same in Cali? Or am I confusing Universal backlot tour dealie with an amusement park? I'm suddenly confused.

* Speaking of which, we'll be there on a weekday, so we were thinking maybe a studio tour of some kind. I would have done NBC, but now that Stephen Nichols & Mary Beth Evans are no longer on Days, I no longer care . . . So, anyone have a fave?

* I'm still thinking Santa Monica Pier would be fun, but others have said there's not much there other than the beach. But if they sell a writsband at Costco (excellent suggestion, thank you so much!!), then there's gotta be something more than just a ferris wheel and merrygoround, right?

* Dh is definitely taking DS to Legoland while I'm doing my thing over the weekend. That will be Saturday. On Sunday, he also has to occupy him while I'm gone, so they're thinking of just hanging around the hotel pool and such, maybe the mall . . .

DebbieJ
04-21-2009, 05:45 PM
I've only done the NBC studio tour--it's cheapest. Check out Warner Bros since they're in Burbank as well.

Otherwise you have Paramount (West Holllywood area) or Sony (Culver City and traffic hell) or Fox (Century City and traffic hell, too).

kijip
04-22-2009, 04:46 AM
* Dh is definitely taking DS to Legoland while I'm doing my thing over the weekend. That will be Saturday. On Sunday, he also has to occupy him while I'm gone, so they're thinking of just hanging around the hotel pool and such, maybe the mall . . .

If at all possible, I would consider trying to have them drive to Legoland during the week. When we went recently, it was so crowded on the weekend that the waiting really was not worth it for the duration/quality of the rides but during the week it was much more enjoyable for T and he got to go on a number of things more than once without too much of a wait. If it is not possible, just have him get there when the park opens so they can hit the more popular things before it gets super crowded.

And definitely get your legoland tix from Costco. Much cheaper.

Tondi G
04-22-2009, 12:58 PM
Thanks for all this advice!! We're narrowing this down:

* DH doesn't wanna do the tarpits. He thinks DS won't enjoy them till he's older (DS is 4). He does like dinosaurs, but he's not obsessed. I still think it could be fun, DH is leery.

* We were thinking about Universal. Now, I've been there in Orlando. Is it the same in Cali? Or am I confusing Universal backlot tour dealie with an amusement park? I'm suddenly confused.

* Speaking of which, we'll be there on a weekday, so we were thinking maybe a studio tour of some kind. I would have done NBC, but now that Stephen Nichols & Mary Beth Evans are no longer on Days, I no longer care . . . So, anyone have a fave?

* I'm still thinking Santa Monica Pier would be fun, but others have said there's not much there other than the beach. But if they sell a writsband at Costco (excellent suggestion, thank you so much!!), then there's gotta be something more than just a ferris wheel and merrygoround, right?

The Tar Pits page Museum is small too... my almost 4 year old thought it was ok... he loved the little pond in the center with the turtles in it and pencil rolling down the big hills outside. I have memories of doing the same as a child! LOL

The Pier has LOTS to do! http://www.pacpark.com/rides.php?location=rides&navheight=short

elektra
04-22-2009, 01:15 PM
You will be SO close to Universal that if you want to check it out, that's what I would do. I haven't been to the one in Orlando so I can't speak to the similarities.
There is also Universal Citywalk that you could check out. Sort of an outdoor mall- like Downtown Disney basically.
If you want to do studio tours and not NBC, I think ABC and CBS might be the closest. Do you like GH? The parking lot of ABC is set up for outside shots for GH, with the "Emergency" sign and everything. :) I haven't done the official tour, but I dated a guy that was a producer for ABC (sounds sexy but he mostly did the little promos that are sort of like movie trailers but for the TV shows) and he showed me around once.

There is the 3rd street promenade near Santa Monica Pier. There is a traditional indoor mall at one end and then a street with shops. So there is more than just the pier. Kids were so not on my radar when I lived in that area though so I don't know how much there is for 4 yo. But it's where a lot of tourists go so I'm sure they have kid-specific stuff there. And then you always have the beach right there, as well as the little downtown Santa Monica area to walk around too if you don't want to do the shopping.

luvmypeanut
04-22-2009, 08:07 PM
My kids loved Griffith Park and the Skirball Cultural Center. The Noah's Ark exhibit is pretty cool.

http://www.skirball.org/

TwinFoxes
04-24-2009, 10:48 AM
(misplaced California native here...)

I see your DH is set on Legoland, but I just want to point out it's at least 1 1/2 hours from where you're staying, and you have to drive on some of the worst freeways in SoCal (the 101 and the 5) to get there so it could easily be an hour more. I would advise them to leave EARLY. It's in Carlsbad, which is in San Diego county, they'll be driving from LA county through Orange County, to San Diego county. It is a cute place though. It's really geared for kids your son's age so he'll have a blast.

The Universal in Florida seemed a lot bigger to me. The studio tour in Hollywood would be fun for kids I think. You ride around in a tram and look at sets and of course things go "wrong" and the tram gets caught in a flood, that sort of thing. The other studio tours, like Paramount, are aimed more at grownups and involve a lot of walking.

Oh, and La Brea Tar Pits are fun for kids I think, but if your ds isn't way into dinos you can easily skip it, it's not a must do.

Fairy
04-26-2009, 10:38 AM
(misplaced California native here...)

I see your DH is set on Legoland, but I just want to point out it's at least 1 1/2 hours from where you're staying, and you have to drive on some of the worst freeways in SoCal (the 101 and the 5) to get there so it could easily be an hour more. I would advise them to leave EARLY. It's in Carlsbad, which is in San Diego county, they'll be driving from LA county through Orange County, to San Diego county. It is a cute place though. It's really geared for kids your son's age so he'll have a blast.

The Universal in Florida seemed a lot bigger to me. The studio tour in Hollywood would be fun for kids I think. You ride around in a tram and look at sets and of course things go "wrong" and the tram gets caught in a flood, that sort of thing. The other studio tours, like Paramount, are aimed more at grownups and involve a lot of walking.

Oh, and La Brea Tar Pits are fun for kids I think, but if your ds isn't way into dinos you can easily skip it, it's not a must do.

Uh oh. That may be a show stopper. Uh ... Hmm. Every now and then I send a link to DH to pertinent threads, and I think this is one of them (hi, Honey). That kind of drive is probably not something he'll want to invest in. I'm not sure. However, you're right, DH does kind of hae his heart set on going to LegoLand, so maybe he'll just choose to leave super early and come back mid-day before the afternoon drive. Eep! Thanks for that info.

I'm thinking we may do Universal and Santa Monica pier in the same day on the Tuesday we're there, and then do Disneyland on the Monday. The weekend will be a DH & DS Fest. Thank you again for all the advice!

fivi2
04-26-2009, 06:25 PM
No real advice, and I am sure you saw it, but there has been a big thread on LA in the Lounge the past couple days. Have a good trip!

Fairy
04-26-2009, 07:12 PM
Ooh, crap, I missed it! Thanks, Fivi, will go seek it out!

fivi2
04-26-2009, 07:50 PM
Ooh, crap, I missed it! Thanks, Fivi, will go seek it out!

this should be it:
http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=321991&highlight=legoland

Have a fun trip!