PDA

View Full Version : Update Post 11 Question about airlines changing your flight time

Octobermommy
04-15-2009, 03:23 PM
I just logged on to view our reservation that we will probably need to cancel given my surprise pregnancy :yay: . An adventure once in a lifetime trip is not the same pregnant :belly: .They changed one flight to 3 hours earlier. I looked up the available flight times and they changed them all. If we go we would not be able to take the flight 3 hours earlier due to work commitments. Do I have any say in that at all? As in I want a full refund or at least a smaller cancellation penalty. I believe the cancellation penalty is normally $150 for Continental ( at least that is what I have read). I would appreciate any advice.

ha98ed14
04-15-2009, 03:30 PM
Not sure about the airline charges. It usually depends on how far out you are from the trip. You know you can fly up until your third trimester, right? Some docs will let you fly at 7 mo. Its just after 8 that mine was saying no.

egoldber
04-15-2009, 03:46 PM
Well, it's complicated. But the upshot is they can and do have the right to change your flight times. As for not taking the flight, again those policies vary by airline. Unless you bought a fully refundable fare (and most people don't because they are very expensive) then you don't necessarily get your money back (even minus the $150). Often you get a voucher where you can use that fare for a flight to that same city for up to one year. But the policy varies by airline so you need to call them directly.

Octobermommy
04-15-2009, 03:48 PM
I am not worried about the flying part at all. I am worried about the heavy duty hiking, thrill white water rafting etc. that we were going to do. This was going to be a big adventure trip and I know we won't get to do all the fun stuff we planned since I am pg. We would rather wait 2 years than go now. We are still 3 months from the planned trip.

Edited to add: I am fine with the travel voucher as long as it does not have to be to the same city, I haven't heard that one before.

egoldber
04-15-2009, 03:51 PM
I had a flight to Chicago booked last year that I ended up being unable to take. Per United, I have one calendar year to fly to Chicago, no other city, with that voucher. As I said, it varies by airline.

tylersmama
04-15-2009, 04:25 PM
I would recommend asking your question in the Continental forum over at www.flyertalk.com. The frequent fliers over there know ALL the ins and outs of the particular airline, as well as the tricks you can use to sometimes get out of fees that you're supposed to pay. Good luck, and congratulations!!

GlindaGoodWitch
04-15-2009, 04:40 PM
I second Tylersmama's suggestion. I *work* for Continental and they know more about the ins & outs of ticketing than I do. (I'm a flight attendant, so I'm of little use info-wise in your case.)

Congrats on your pregnancy!!!

srkaplan
04-15-2009, 04:44 PM
I'm not sure if Continental is the same, but when United has changed my flight time by a substantial amount (more than 15 minutes or so), I have always had the option to rebook another flight that works better for me, or cancel with a full refund (no penalties). Good luck!!

Octobermommy
04-15-2009, 05:13 PM
Thanks Gaye, I will post over at flyertalk and see what happens. I will let you guys know!

melissaflorida
04-15-2009, 07:34 PM
I just went through this when we flew to Vermont. They changed my flight times and it wasn't going to work for my family.

I called Continental and they were very nice about it. When I told them the times were not going to work for my vacation they gave me 100% refund on my cc.

I then re booked with Jet Blue for a lower price too.

~Melissa

Octobermommy
04-15-2009, 07:39 PM
No problems whatsoever. They refunded our credit card no questions asked. What a blessing at a time we needed it! Thanks for the help everyone!