PDA

View Full Version : Medela Breast Pump - tubing and parts

Lila
04-15-2009, 05:17 PM
A friend gave me a pump, but I have to replace all the tubing. It's a couple years old, the pump, so is there kind of a universal tubing, or do I have to try to find tubing for her specific pump?

elephantmeg
04-15-2009, 05:29 PM
the tubing is the same for all the PISA but different from the freestyle.

jenny
04-15-2009, 09:43 PM
What kind of medela pump is it? Is it a Pump In Style? The tubing is different for the Pump In Style, depending on the year.

Some people, like the CDC, recommend not sharing a single-user pumps like a Medela pump. But I know a few women who do.

Lila
04-15-2009, 09:44 PM
Sorry, but what is the CDC? And what is the reason for not sharing? Would this be the case even if I got all new tubing, etc.?

jenny
04-15-2009, 10:04 PM
The CDC is the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

But actually, it's the FDA that doesn't recommend sharing pumps, not the CDC...my bad.

http://www.fda.gov/cdrh/breastpumps/choosing.html#4
http://parenting.ivillage.com/newborn/nbreastfeed/0,,9kdb,00.html

I think if you feel comfortable with using someone's pump, that's your decision to make. I see lots of people selling their pumps on ebay and on craigslist. My friend offered to loan me her breast pump, but I didn't feel comfortable with it b/c her baby had thrush. I got a $100 certificate as a baby shower gift and used it along with a 15% off BRU coupon towards the purchase of a new pump.

Lila
04-16-2009, 10:14 AM
Yeah, thanks for telling me this. BBargains doesn't recommend either. I'll go without it. Oh well.

But I have some big-ticket items already on my registry, and I can't register for this. I want the Madela PIS. But I wonder if my insurance will cover it? If I should rent for a little while? Can't really afford it at the moment.

jenny
04-16-2009, 10:49 AM
Put it on your registry anyway b/c BRU, if that's where you're registering, has 10 percent off all items on your registry if it's not purchased. You get the coupon like 2 weeks before you're due.

Also, you never know what people will do. I had friends that I barely talked to buy me a $90 crib mattress and people giving us $100 gift cards and friends of our parents giving us cash when they found out we were pregnant. Granted, not every person is so lucky, but don't count out the generosity of friends and family.

But renting a hospital-grade pump is actually a really good idea too. Not sure how much different hospitals charge, I think mine charged like $35/month. They work much better than single-user pumps.

But you should also consider your lifestyle. Are you going to go back to work after 3 months or stay at home or work part time? My friend is a SAHM and bought a Medela Swing pump for like $150 b/c she doesn't really plan on pumping a lot. I needed the PISA b/c I work full-time and pump exclusively.

But some moms have no qualms using a friend's pump.

Lila
04-16-2009, 11:48 AM
Wow. Thanks! That's really helpful to know! I'll put it on my calendar to make sure I get that BRU coupon. We registered for quite a lot - our first babe - and would really really really like it if people can buy those things for us (not just clothes and stuff they want to buy!) .... so we'll see.... I may do the Laninsoh pump since I won't be going back to work full-time. I mean, as much as I can, but I work from home, and can bf .... I just wonder if it'll be inconvenient to not be able to run to the store and pick up a part for the Laninsoh, or take advantage of the local resources Madela has - like postpartum groups, and breastfeeding support centers with LCs.

jenny
04-16-2009, 12:18 PM
There's a pumping moms yahoo group you can join for help. Whenever you buy the pump, you can join the group.

Also, when you're at the hospital, you can ask the nurse to try a hospital pump to see how you like it. Some people just hate pumping. Remember, don't open your pump until you know you're going to use it b/c you can't return it if the box is opened. You may find that pumping is not for you once you try the hospital pump.

Here's a link to the yahoo group.
http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/PumpMoms/

Nooknookmom
04-19-2009, 06:27 PM
Hi & congrats on the pending new addition!

Is this your first little munchkin? You may find that after birth you only need a hand pump or Swing for occasional bottles OR you may find out that you *really* need a hosp. grade pump. In which case through the LaLeche league or maybe that Yahoo group, you can find a local source to rent from.

At first I had only a hand pump, I had a terrible supply, couldn't afford to buy a Medela, bought a cheapy Evanflo something that didn't work and ended up renting a Medela Symphony for several months. FWIW, BRU does rent the Symphony now but it's like $95 a month!! Yikes, I rented for $65, which wasn't bad comparably.

It is true that you never know what will be given to you from the registry or at the shower. I ended up w/ enough BRU cards to purchase my co-sleeper & swing. Also, someone (very generously) gave me a Little Giraffe blankie & layette spread from Nordstrom that I did not need, I returned it and had $200 to put towards more gear, so you NEVER know!