PDA

View Full Version : refusing naps with CIO

euno
04-15-2009, 05:33 PM
My 12 month old took two naps a day of about an hour each while she was still waking up several times during the night. We started letting her CIO since Sunday night and she's doing really well with nighttime sleep. last night, she only woke up once and put herself back to sleep within 10 minutes and was asleep from 7:20-5:30 this morning.

however, she has been refusing to go to sleep for naptime in her crib. She gets fearful and anxious during our nap routine and freaks out when we get near the crib. the sleepeasy solution says that naps are much harder for children to adjust to but she hasn't napped in three days. i put her in the ergo while doing some chores and she fell asleep in there for about 45 minutes today but she's refused every single nap - twice a day since monday. she's extremely tired, fussy and clingy. but she is determined to not sleep in her crib! she falls asleep in the hi chair while eating and in the car seat but never in her crib since CIO.

is this normal? weissbluth and sleepeasy say not to let them cry for more than an hour. i've been letting her cry the full hour and since she needs two naps a day, that's two hours of straight crying and screaming and i'm not sure if that's healthy. i want to be consistent and get through this as soon as possible but wondering if i should give up naps for now and try to do sleep learning for naps after she learns how to do it for nighttime sleep.

what do you think?

ETA: i think that with all the sleep training, the night weaning, learning to walk more everyday is too much for my baby to take right now. my mommy instincts couldn't let her cry that long so we're putting her down for naps with our assistance (nursing, rocking). when she gets the nighttime sleep down, we'll start on the naps. thanks, though!

hillview
04-15-2009, 08:27 PM
Wow that is really rough. I know I couldn't let my child cry that much. I did some CIO with DS #1 at around that age (can't remember exactly how old but was about a year) and he was SCARED of the crib after a few nights. So we stopped CIO and did it again (wasn't bad at all -- cried for about 10 mins for 2 nights) at 2.5 years old and then it worked. Sorry not a lot of how to make it work advice! GOOD LUCK. It is so hard.
/hillary