PDA

View Full Version : Deprogramming after spending 4 days with grandma

DebbieJ
04-15-2009, 09:45 PM
My DS has been HORRIBLE ever since he returned from being with grandma for 4 days so we could get some adult time.

Grandma did anything and everything he asked and never made him lift a finger. He said he wanted a Slurpee, she took him to 7-11. He wanted to play with the neighbor girl, she was on the phone before dinner was even finished!

So now what do I get? Defiance and whining ALL DAY LONG. I say no to something and he loses it. Ugh!

If this doesn't end soon, maybe the vacation wasn't worth it after all. :(

Momof3Labs
04-15-2009, 10:56 PM
Stay strong!! One good thing about this age, I think, is that they can be reprogrammed pretty quickly. I bet that he'll be pretty much back to normal in another day or two.

P.S. Of course your 4 days away was worth it - I'm jealous!!

SnuggleBuggles
04-15-2009, 11:00 PM
BTDT. Ds has a sleepover every week with my parents and some times he comes home acting like a spoiled brat! We have had to take away his sleepover priveleges a few times to reprogram him.

I agree with Lori, it will get better soon!

Beth

belovedgandp
04-16-2009, 12:12 AM
I usually say it takes as long as they were gone to get back to normal. Sorry, three more days if this was your first. It gets better each day, but yes, it takes time.

JBaxter
04-16-2009, 07:47 AM
Yup takes equal days to get back to normal. Grandparents mean well but you need to have a talk to tell them what the child has to go through because they were so permissive

DrSally
04-16-2009, 09:13 AM
We call it a "grandma hangover" :)

Octobermommy
04-16-2009, 10:46 AM
Always happens here too. Even my 1 yr old after being with my mom for a few days will whine "Nana" when I won't give him something. Just think of when you can do that for your ds kids.

JTsMom
04-16-2009, 01:18 PM
We call it a "grandma hangover" :)
:ROTFLMAO: Love it!

infomama
04-16-2009, 01:34 PM
Just ride it out. We usually have to detox DD1 off extended grandparent visits as well. We get lots of requests (ahem..demands) from her after these visits and we just find ourselves saying, "sorry honey, but that's just not going to happen". As she is stomping off we call out, "love you!" and she says, "love you too," in a huffy voice.
It sucks but your good kid is still in there...deep breaths.

MamaMolly
04-16-2009, 11:11 PM
There is nothing that Grandma can do in one week that I can't un-do in two. Keep at it, you'll get your kid back soon!

Love 'grandma hangover' btw!

stefani
04-16-2009, 11:34 PM
So you mean I am not the only one dealing with this? ;)

DS got so grumpy, fussy, whiny... whenever he came back from Grammy's. He is better about it now but I did warn him several times before that if he were fussy like that after he goes to Grammy then he doesn't get to go to Grammy. He doesn't go to Grammy's as often now because he is in Pre-K already (he used to go twice a week). Grammy wasn't super permissive, but she does have more patience and more relaxed about certain things than I am.

Hang in there and take deep breaths!

:grouphug: