PDA

View Full Version : I am having a bad day, and I just need to complain about it.

mamaoftwins
04-16-2009, 01:10 PM
DH has been on service this month, which means he is never home. Hard on both of us. The boys slept terribly last night, and are both total cranks today. Monkey is biting again. Hard. Squish and I are bearing the brunt of it. He does it out of frustration and it definitely comes and goes, seems to happen a lot more when he has teeth coming in. I have given him tylenol and have resorted to one minute timeouts in his crib after the biting occurs. I have a red welt on my shoulder, and Squish has one on his hand. My shoulder still hurts, so I can only imagine how poor Squish feels. The neighbors are redoing their driveway, and all the construction work (which they didn't warn us about - not a huge deal, but I would have liked to hear about it first) is SUPER loud, so I have doubts that the boys will nap this afternoon.

Blah. I am feeling like a bad mom b/c I am so frustrated with Monkey right now. I am making their lunch now, and after that is naptime, so maybe this construction will quiet down and all three of us can get some sleep.

Any advice (especially on this biting thing) is much appreciated. Thanks for reading.

JTsMom
04-16-2009, 01:17 PM
I doubt I can give you any advice on the biting that you don't already know (focus on the victim, watch for it and try to intervene, offer something else to chew on, remember it's a phase, blah blah), but on the bad day front, I can tell you that in that situation, I'd try to get out of the house. I know you mentioned wanting to sleep, so if they'll nap despite the noise, staying home would be better, but otherwise, if they are good carseat sleepers, put them in the car, drive around, get yourself a coffee or a cookie or something, and just enjoy the peace. That has saved my sanity more times than I can count!

Hope it gets better soon. :hug:

firsttimemama
04-16-2009, 03:41 PM
no advice on biting, just major hugs. that sounds miserable.

if it were me, I'd go somewhere. anywhere. i'd put them in the car, let them nap in it if necessary, go through the starbucks drive thru.. read a pointless magazine..

i dunno. i just have to get out when it's really hard.

HUGS TO YOU!

misshollygolightly
04-16-2009, 07:17 PM
So sorry! I agree, though, with the pps: sometimes the best thing for everyone is a change of scene. If the weather is nice enough, baby even just a stroll around the block. Otherwise, though, I'd say hop in the car and go somewhere...anywhere!

mamaoftwins
04-16-2009, 11:53 PM
Thanks for the virtual hugs and thoughts, ladies. I am feeling better. The construction stopped for a bit and all three of us were able to get short naps in. It's amazing what a little sleep will do for your mood. ;) They did wake up early due to the construction firing back up, so I took your advice, and threw them in the car with a sippie of water and a couple of animal crackers and we drove around listening to music. I did a few drive-thru type errands - gas, bank, coffee (!), and then we came home for dinner. They were pretty happy in the car. Monkey was even dancing in his seat to the music. :)

Here's hoping they sleep better tonight!!

JTsMom
04-17-2009, 09:12 AM
Oh good! I'm glad it helped a little. Hopefully today is an easy day for everyone.