PDA

View Full Version : article- Mommy Internet Addiction

Beckylove
04-16-2009, 01:21 PM
I just found this article at CNN. I thought it hit slightly close to home for me and I am curious about what you all think.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/04/13/mothers.internet.addiction/index.html

maestramommy
04-16-2009, 01:28 PM
Eh, interesting. But nothing I didn't know already. I suppose like most things, there is a range. I'm pretty sure I know where I stand on that range, and I'm not addicted;)

elliput
04-16-2009, 01:30 PM
It's all a myth and suppositions. Really. It is. Or at least that is what I keep telling myself. :ROTFLMAO:

elektra
04-16-2009, 02:12 PM
It's all a myth and suppositions. Really. It is. Or at least that is what I keep telling myself. :ROTFLMAO:

:yeahthat:

I read the article yesterday too.

citymama
04-16-2009, 02:30 PM

:hysterical:

No idea what they are talking about. Complete baloney.

Melaine
04-16-2009, 02:35 PM
Sometimes I think I am addicted. That is usually when we are discussing turning off the iternet access to save a little $$$. The rest of the time I usually think I'm ok.:ROTFLMAO:

almostmom
04-16-2009, 02:38 PM
This is really interesting - thanks for posting. Just a few weeks ago I told my DH that I was addicted to the internet. For me, it's at work, which I feel very guilty about. It's just a way of procrastinating, avoiding the work I don't feel like doing. Reading blogs and websites is so much more fun than my work! But I spend WAY too much time doing it and I worry that if I was found out, I'd be on the street! And here I am, writing this from work!

I've actually tried to go cold turkey, and I can do it for a day or so, but it's hard. Funny thing is, when we go away for the weekend or a week, or when I'm at home, I'm happy to not look at anything on the computer! And I even used to get annoyed when DH, who can't do any internet at work because he's too busy, goes on at night or the weekends.

Now off to do a little work before I pick up the kids...

sarahsthreads
04-16-2009, 02:51 PM
I figure since I'm just as likely to stay up late, avoid the laundry, or shoo away the kids with "just one more row" while I'm knitting, I can't be *that* addicted to the internet.

I refuse to believe I'm addicted to both the internet and knitting. ;)

Seriously, though, while I do random "non-essential" stuff on the computer throughout the day (as in right now, while I'm pumping) I don't ignore my family or the house for it. Well, I do ignore the house a lot, but that's because I hate cleaning! (Says she who went on a scavenger hunt today for two of the five library books that were due two days ago...the house is very tidy now!)

Sarah :)

maylips
04-16-2009, 03:30 PM
This is really interesting - thanks for posting. Just a few weeks ago I told my DH that I was addicted to the internet. For me, it's at work, which I feel very guilty about. It's just a way of procrastinating, avoiding the work I don't feel like doing. Reading blogs and websites is so much more fun than my work! But I spend WAY too much time doing it and I worry that if I was found out, I'd be on the street! And here I am, writing this from work!

I've actually tried to go cold turkey, and I can do it for a day or so, but it's hard. Funny thing is, when we go away for the weekend or a week, or when I'm at home, I'm happy to not look at anything on the computer! And I even used to get annoyed when DH, who can't do any internet at work because he's too busy, goes on at night or the weekends.

Now off to do a little work before I pick up the kids...

:yeahthat: This is a lot of me. And I feel bad getting mad at DH when he's on, completely ignoring that I've been on all day at work, able to check the fun stuff while working. And some days I'm a great worker, while other days I just surf and surf - although it's more procrastination than it is an addiction.

I do have to comment about this in the article: "There's a movement among psychiatrists to recognize Internet addiction as an official mental disorder (just like alcohol dependency)." Aren't we recognizing almost everything as "mental disorder?" While I definitely think there are true disorders and addictions, I also think we over-label a lot of activities to justify our own inability/unwillingness to just stop doing whatever it is we think we're addicted to on our own.