PDA

View Full Version : What do you use instead of Johnson's Baby Oil?

JMS
04-16-2009, 01:27 PM
DS2 has dry skin and is appears to be on his way to having cradle cap. What can I use that I can get at Whole Foods that would be a better alternative to Johnson's Baby Oil?
TIA

jenny
04-16-2009, 01:28 PM
are you putting it on his head to get the cradle cap off? we used olive oil.

for dry skin, we lather up DD with Aquaphor and use dove unscented soap to bathe her.

maestramommy
04-16-2009, 01:30 PM
We use the Target brand of Eucerin, and Aquaphor for really troublesome spots.

malphy
04-16-2009, 01:33 PM
For cradle cap i used olie oil and very soft toorthbrush. Works like a charm.

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
04-16-2009, 02:44 PM
Jojoba oil is my cure all for my DD. I use it for diaper rash, too. No parabens or junk in it. You can get it in organic, too. Jojoba most closely mimics our own natural sebum. I have a little spray bottle I use, much easier than a big one when it is greasy!

JMS
04-16-2009, 07:41 PM
Jojoba oil is my cure all for my DD. I use it for diaper rash, too. No parabens or junk in it. You can get it in organic, too. Jojoba most closely mimics our own natural sebum. I have a little spray bottle I use, much easier than a big one when it is greasy!

Thanks! That's exactly the type of rec I was looking for :)

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
04-16-2009, 07:50 PM
Thanks! That's exactly the type of rec I was looking for :)

My pleasure! I love it for diaper rash, dry patches, cuts and scrapes, etc. At my health food store, they sell it in a two ounce spray bottle. Try it that way and if you like it, buy the big one and just refill it. That is what I did. One tip, put a towel on the bed, couch, etc. before you use it, it is oily and can leave marks on fabric. Good luck!

DrSally
04-16-2009, 11:37 PM
If you're talking about on his scalp, I use olive oil.

JMS
04-17-2009, 09:04 AM
If you're talking about on his scalp, I use olive oil.

Scalp, dry skin on his body and a good massage oil... but don't worry, I have no problem trying more than one type of oil :)

I did read something somewhere (have no idea where now though) about coconut oil.. I think??

ThreeofUs
04-17-2009, 09:12 AM
We tried olive oil, too, and it worked *really* well.

DrSally
04-17-2009, 09:16 AM
Scalp, dry skin on his body and a good massage oil... but don't worry, I have no problem trying more than one type of oil :)

I did read something somewhere (have no idea where now though) about coconut oil.. I think??

I'd be careful about coconut oil, as it's distantly related to nuts, so if there's a propensity to nut allergies....
I suppose you could put olive oil on the body too, I don't see why not.

kimberley-k
04-17-2009, 11:29 AM
Alba Un-Petroleum Jelly is nice too.

-Kim

DebbieJ
04-17-2009, 01:50 PM
We happened to have a bottle of Apricot Oil so we used that for cradle cap along with a soft baby hairbrush.