PDA

View Full Version : Ride-on/walker rec's?

mm123
04-16-2009, 06:37 PM
I'd like to get DD a ride-on/walker type toy (like a car with the big pushing handle in the back), now that she's starting to pull to stand. Anyone have any recommendations, or are they all pretty much the same?

Is it better to get her something that's just a walker (like a shopping cart) or just a ride-on, or are the combos pretty good?

Thanks!

brittone2
04-16-2009, 07:03 PM
I'd like to get DD a ride-on/walker type toy (like a car with the big pushing handle in the back), now that she's starting to pull to stand. Anyone have any recommendations, or are they all pretty much the same?

Is it better to get her something that's just a walker (like a shopping cart) or just a ride-on, or are the combos pretty good?

Thanks!

IMO 2 of the best push toys for walking are the Haba Pushcart and the Radio Flyer walker wagon. Both are heavy, which helps in that they aren't very tippy and are easier for pulling to stand. The Haba doesn't have "governors" on the wheels, but rolls pretty slowly even on hardwood because it is heavy. The RF comes with little clickers to slow the speed down.

I used to work as a pediatric PT in early intervention. IME, many plastic push toys skid or slide, and are too light to pull to stand. THey aren't very stable, and on hard surfaces may go too quickly for an early walker. I have actually used an old plastic shopping cart pushtoy that wasn't bad because the handle was over the center of gravity. IME, many of the plastic ones have a handle that is not over the center of gravity, or have wheels that aren't spaced widely enough to make the toy terribly stable (which IME makes it semi useless).

There are a bunch of old threads in the archives on push toys if you are curious. THe Haba and the RF get good reviews. They aren't cheap, but you can always resell. Both the Haba and RF also have play value that extends beyond using it as a push toy. The Haba one can be used as a little stroller type of thing. The RF walker wagon can be used as a stroller or shopping cart type of thing because of the design, kwim?

julymommy
04-16-2009, 07:51 PM
We borrowed a plastic push toy for DS and it was a disaster. I then went on craigslist and bought a used Radio Flyer - it is wonderful! So stable and solid - DS loves running around the house with it.

katydid1971
04-16-2009, 10:55 PM
Here's a plastic one we really like. Its a little stroller walker. Plus DD (who is just 1 last week) loves putting her dolly in and out of it. Its super cute in person.
http://www.amazon.com/Fisher-Price-Brilliant-Basics-Stroll-Along-Walker/dp/B0015KVXW8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=toys-and-games&qid=1239936760&sr=8-1