PDA

View Full Version : Guess what's worse than twins running around getting into everything?

gatorsmom
04-17-2009, 11:13 AM
...twins CLIMBING on everything! They just suddenly took off. They'll climb on end tables, coffee tables, the kitchen table (if someone leaves a chair pushed out for them to climb up on), the ottoman, sofas, etc. It's crazy! Occasionally one will climb on one table and the other joins him/her but usually they are in separate areas. So, I"m left running from one room to another.

And to think I wasn't getting much done before....sigh.

mamaoftwins
04-17-2009, 11:22 AM
...twins CLIMBING on everything! They just suddenly took off. They'll climb on end tables, coffee tables, the kitchen table (if someone leaves a chair pushed out for them to climb up on), the ottoman, sofas, etc. It's crazy! Occasionally one will climb on one table and the other joins him/her but usually they are in separate areas. So, I"m left running from one room to another.

Oh yes, we're there too. I put the boys in the playroom this morning so I could clean up from breakfast and take a potty break. I was upstairs maybe 5min. I went down to check on them, and Monkey had climbed the ottoman, onto the couch and was sitting with his legs dangling off of the seatback. I just about had a heart attack. I'm waiting for him to climb out of the crib next. Ugh.

JTsMom
04-17-2009, 11:22 AM
:ROTFLMAO:You'll end up losing 5 lbs by the end of the week with all of that running!

My mom has told me this story about one of her scary mothering experiences- My brothers were just starting the stage you're describing, and one climbed on top of the kitchen counter, and the other was on the dining room table, and she couldn't figure out how she was going to save them both. Craziness!

maestramommy
04-17-2009, 01:42 PM
One of our climbing friends had twins. They started climbing onto the kitchen table by themselves by 18 months. She didn't know whether to freak out or be so proud! :ROTFLMAO:That was just the beginning too.

MamaMolly
04-17-2009, 03:18 PM
just thinking of the fun Octo-mom is going to be having in 2 years...THAT would be worse than twins getting into everything. Multiply it by 8 munchkins. Holy guacamole.

SnuggleBuggles
04-17-2009, 03:20 PM
Double trouble! I can't imagine having to triage which to go get down first. Ugh! Good luck!!! Luckily ds2 is a bit too small to get up onto the couch (not for a lack of trying though). I am dreading the day he figures it out. Watch, it will be today since I posted this!

Beth

WatchingThemGrow
04-17-2009, 03:29 PM
ITA, it stinks!!!

The REAL problem with having babies 18 mos apart is that right when they start climbing to the back of the couch and grabbing artwork (16 mos) and climbing on the kitchen table to eat the unwashed fruits and veggies, is that you're just at that point in the pg that getting up quickly isn't easy.

I thought I would've remembered that part!:duh:

DS stood on 4 different tables in our house BEFORE 9 am today. I'm SO with you, Lisa!

MontrealMum
04-17-2009, 04:26 PM
DS is climbing on everything all.the.time...for months now...I can't even remember when it started. Here, the daycare, granny's, the doctor's office...it's exhausting making sure he isn't going to fall. It's gotten to the point here - because you can't gate off everything!!! - that I have taken to leaving my little rubbermaid stool out because it makes his climbing safer, or allows him to reach what he wants w/o trying to scale the bookcase. Standing on tables is apparantly much better than sitting at them, or on the floor, or the couch or anyplace else where someone might locigally like to read books or play with cars. And I am always finding DS' stuff stashed in the oddest places. I cannot imagine what it must be like with TWO! You have my greatest empathy.

hillview
04-17-2009, 04:51 PM
So there w/ DS#2!
/hillary

MontrealMum
04-17-2009, 07:37 PM
I meant to also add, this is *exactly* why parents end up taking their kids to the bathroom with them, with respect to that discussion a while back ;) So you don't come out and find your toddler atop a 6 ft. high Billy bookcase!

mommyp
04-18-2009, 01:52 AM
DD is there too, the other day she pushed her walker toy train over to the couch to help her get up! I can't even imagine two of her!!

DrSally
04-18-2009, 10:42 PM
Uh Oh, DS was never much of a climber. My neice is and I can see why you want to have every piece of furniture anchored!

kijip
04-18-2009, 11:57 PM
On the bright side there is no body motion after this one to anticipate...crawling, walking, running, jumping, climbing...they can't take flight or anything. :)

Wife_and_mommy
04-19-2009, 12:10 AM
On the bright side there is no body motion after this one to anticipate...crawling, walking, running, jumping, climbing...they can't take flight or anything. :)

LOL Way to be positive.

Ceepa
04-19-2009, 07:47 AM
Oh, Lisa. At least the warm weather is coming and you can get them out of the house. Playgrounds, parks, playspaces, back yard. And think how well they'll sleep at night after all their activity, right?

Melaine
04-19-2009, 07:57 AM
I suggest you guys (those with twins) take proactive measures to keep them in their cribs. Having just gone through the crib to toddler bed transition with mine at 2 and half, I think if we'd bought crib tents maybe earlier in the game we could've drawn out the crib thing even longer (the longer the better in my mind). And I know if they hadn't had the sleep sacks to slow them down the cribs would've been over and done with months ago or even sooner.
It's rough, it's hard having two LOs running in opposite directions. We've really been struggling with this, and we don't have a fenced in yard that I can safely let them play in. I also can't take them to the park, because it's not safe with just me to keep them from running away. I am relatively sure that twins are at least four times harder than singletons.

mamaoftwins
04-19-2009, 09:12 AM
I suggest you guys (those with twins) take proactive measures to keep them in their cribs. Having just gone through the crib to toddler bed transition with mine at 2 and half, I think if we'd bought crib tents maybe earlier in the game we could've drawn out the crib thing even longer (the longer the better in my mind). And I know if they hadn't had the sleep sacks to slow them down the cribs would've been over and done with months ago or even sooner.

Thanks for this thought. I will start thinking about this now!

It's rough, it's hard having two LOs running in opposite directions. We've really been struggling with this, and we don't have a fenced in yard that I can safely let them play in. I also can't take them to the park, because it's not safe with just me to keep them from running away. I am relatively sure that twins are at least four times harder than singletons.

Oh yes, this is difficult. It actually makes me feel a little bit bad, that we can't just go to the park and play like everyone else b/c I can't safely keep the two of them together. But, my advantage is that they are younger, so now, one boy rides on my back in the Ergo for 10min, while the other boy runs, plays, swings, whatever, then we switch for the next 10min. Unless both of them feel like swinging at the same time, and two swings are open next to each other. This works for us for now, but when they get heavier, this will not work. *sigh* As I've said before, here is an example of me being jealous of singleton parents that can just go where they please with their LO.

Nooknookmom
04-19-2009, 06:42 PM

We're there too, DH I just said today how we have to put *everything* up from Koi. The hermit crab, dog bones, etc. Everything w/in her reach is in danger!!!! Oh boy, if I leave the room for a second and it is quiet, I run to find a mess, lol.

I'm sorry you have the tornado x's 2!!

Melaine
04-19-2009, 07:06 PM
*sigh* As I've said before, here is an example of me being jealous of singleton parents that can just go where they please with their LO.

Yes, I feel this way a lot too. I sometimes feel cheated that I never had the chance to have one baby I would be free to hold and carry around and rock to sleep, or run into the store with. I am jealous when I see a Mama wearing her baby, because I just never worked that out with twins. Right now we are dealing with both the girls crying and screaming for me whenever we go out. They BOTH want to hold my hand, have me push them in the cart or stroller, and they both fight to sit in the car seat behind my seat so that I will be the one to get them out. It's ridiculous and it hurts DH's feelings, and stresses us both out. Anyway...

la mama
04-19-2009, 08:55 PM
My DS and DD aren't nearly there yet, not even crawling yet. After reading all this I'm not sure whether to scream/cry while thinking of what's to come or be grateful that I'm hearing all this now and will be "prepared" for it when it happens to me! I guess I should just enjoy being able to get things done now while they still stay in relatively the same place I leave them. Thanks for a glimpse of the future!

Melaine
04-20-2009, 09:11 AM
I don't want to be all doom and gloom. I still maintain that ANYTHING is easier than getting through those first months of waking and feeding. (la mama, I honestly think you have made it through the hardest part). But one of my friends said recently that things don't get easier, they just get hard in a different way, and that's kind of where I am at right now.
SO many mamas of twins have told me that after 3 everything gets MUCH easier (someone at the mall just yesterday told us this) and I cling desperately to that hope.

JTsMom
04-20-2009, 09:29 AM
I don't want to be all doom and gloom. I still maintain that ANYTHING is easier than getting through those first months of waking and feeding. (la mama, I honestly think you have made it through the hardest part). But one of my friends said recently that things don't get easier, they just get hard in a different way, and that's kind of where I am at right now.
SO many mamas of twins have told me that after 3 everything gets MUCH easier (someone at the mall just yesterday told us this) and I cling desperately to that hope.

My mom says that too, and she's not one to sugar-coat, so there's probably some truth to it.

mamaoftwins
04-20-2009, 09:33 AM
But one of my friends said recently that things don't get easier, they just get hard in a different way, and that's kind of where I am at right now.

That's how I feel, too. People always ask me if it's easier now that they're older. Yes, in some ways it is. But in most ways it just gets 'different', not necessarily easier or harder, just different.

I really hope this is true.

HIU8
04-20-2009, 01:20 PM
OYE! I only have one that does that, but she has taken to climbing on the couch and jumping off (lovely). She has figured out how to undo the safety locks on the cabinets and the drawers as well.....My solution: 4 yr old DS gets to watch her while I use the bathroom (we are all in the same general area, but he is the one who runs and tells me if DD is getting into something she shouldn't be). Not ideal solution, but it works for now. DS has even been heard telling DD to stop doing something or to put something down b/c she will get hurt.