PDA

View Full Version : Help me find a bag (not necessarily diaper) for day long excursions ...

mamaoftwins
04-18-2009, 11:42 AM
So, I'm finding that my usual diaper bag, Skip Hop Spark (like the Duo), is not adequate for day long excursions where I need to pack lunch for the boys. The SH is just too narrow, once I fill the pockets inside, there's not much room for anything else, and I end up having to bring an extra bag for food. We also have an EB Messenger Diaper Bag, which is just way too big.

I'd like something with two outside pockets though for sippies of water. We're getting a BJCCD (yay!) soon, so I'd also like to be able to hang it off that, either by hanging the strap over or with stroller clips.

Here's what I need my new bag to hold:
- 2 sippies of water (in outside pockets preferably)
- diapers, wipes, changing pad
- 2 sippies of milk in a small cooler bag (the cooler bag is only as big as two sippies and an ice pack)
- lunch items (sandwich, fruit, other snacks)
- sunhats, sunscreen
- some other small odds & ends

I also have a SH Pronto, so I am not opposed to taking the Pronto for diapering with a bag for all of the other stuff.

Ideas?? TIA!!

ang79
04-20-2009, 01:53 PM
I have a JuJuBe Packabe that I use for longer outtings or when I take the girls to the park and have lunch there. I can fit infant change of clothes, dipes for toddler and infant, wipes, change pad, receiving blanket, burp cloth, mei tai, hats, my wallet and camera, first aide kit, bottle cooler bag (the freebie one from the hospital) and other odds and ends. The nice thing is you can either carry it backpack style or on your shoulder. And there are two exterior bottle pockets too, that are large enough to fit my Nalgene water bottle. And there are D-rings on the side to attatch it to stroller clips as well.

I went a bit overboard buying bags and actually have a one in Sporty Stripes (blues, greens and silver) that I need to sell if you're interested :)

arivecchi
04-20-2009, 02:15 PM
Hve you seen the Baby Sherpa? That could be very useful for twins. You can use it for long day trips and air travel.

mamaoftwins
04-20-2009, 05:57 PM
I have a JuJuBe Packabe that I use for longer outtings or when I take the girls to the park and have lunch there. I can fit infant change of clothes, dipes for toddler and infant, wipes, change pad, receiving blanket, burp cloth, mei tai, hats, my wallet and camera, first aide kit, bottle cooler bag (the freebie one from the hospital) and other odds and ends. The nice thing is you can either carry it backpack style or on your shoulder. And there are two exterior bottle pockets too, that are large enough to fit my Nalgene water bottle. And there are D-rings on the side to attatch it to stroller clips as well.

I was just looking at JuJuBe and I like them a lot! The Packabe looks so 'boxy' though (sorry, don't know how else to describe it). Do you find it uncomfortable to wear b/c of it's shape? Does it hang off the stroller neatly?

mamaoftwins
04-20-2009, 05:58 PM
Hve you seen the Baby Sherpa? That could be very useful for twins. You can use it for long day trips and air travel.

I've never even heard of this one before! This could work ... I usually shy away from backpacks, although thinking about it now, I have no idea why! Thanks!

ang79
04-20-2009, 08:20 PM
I was just looking at JuJuBe and I like them a lot! The Packabe looks so 'boxy' though (sorry, don't know how else to describe it). Do you find it uncomfortable to wear b/c of it's shape? Does it hang off the stroller neatly?

I was worried about that before I got one too, but it actually was smaller than I envisioned it (but still very stuffable!). I'm 5'2" and 110 lbs. and I don't feel like its too bulky or that it overwhelms me at all. Some ladies feel the JJB bags are too heavy, but I have a few and it hasn't bothered me. They really are excellent quality bags with lots of nice little perks (insulated pockets, lots of pockets, space for mommy items, etc.) And I love that they are machine washable! I don't wash my bags very often but its nice to know that if I have it sitting on the floor in a restaurant or if I get mud or juice or something on it, I can just throw it in a pillowcase and into the washing machine!

They do make padded backpack straps for it if you are going to be wearing it backpack style for long periods of time, but I've worn mine with the original straps and fully packed for long walks (over my mei tai straps) and they don't bother me at all. I've never hung it off my stroller, as we don't use a stroller very often, but there are some great pics on the JuJuBe site and also in the Pink Room on the site.

HTH!
Angie

arivecchi
04-20-2009, 08:38 PM
I love my Baby Sherpa. You can stuff a TON of stuff in it. It has a cooler compartment for food and drinks and a cooler pocket for bottles. It also has a mesh thing in front and you can stuff blankets and jackets there. It comes with a changing pad also. I've used it on multiple trips and it is a lifesaver! It is also really well made. I highly recommend it!

I found this website selling them for $62:

http://www.babysherpabackpacks.com/?gclid=COHF-dzdgJoCFRIeDQodxkmLFw

mamaoftwins
04-20-2009, 08:45 PM
I was worried about that before I got one too, but it actually was smaller than I envisioned it (but still very stuffable!). I'm 5'2" and 110 lbs. and I don't feel like its too bulky or that it overwhelms me at all. Some ladies feel the JJB bags are too heavy, but I have a few and it hasn't bothered me. They really are excellent quality bags with lots of nice little perks (insulated pockets, lots of pockets, space for mommy items, etc.) And I love that they are machine washable! I don't wash my bags very often but its nice to know that if I have it sitting on the floor in a restaurant or if I get mud or juice or something on it, I can just throw it in a pillowcase and into the washing machine!

They do make padded backpack straps for it if you are going to be wearing it backpack style for long periods of time, but I've worn mine with the original straps and fully packed for long walks (over my mei tai straps) and they don't bother me at all. I've never hung it off my stroller, as we don't use a stroller very often, but there are some great pics on the JuJuBe site and also in the Pink Room on the site.

HTH!
Angie

Thank you, that does help! I found my way via the Pink Room to YouTube where there are videos of all the bags in action! Awesome! I'm seriously considering the Packabe now after looking at the videos. I was also thinking about the BeTween, but from seeing it, I think it's too small. And I LOVE the machine washable aspect of these bags - not that I envision washing it too often, but it's great to be able to!

:signthankspin:

mamaoftwins
04-20-2009, 08:47 PM
I love my Baby Sherpa. You can stuff a TON of stuff in it. It has a cooler compartment for food and drinks and a cooler pocket for bottles.

Ooh, ooh, now that is key! I could get rid of my tiny cooler bag!

This is great. Thanks!

I have to spend more time researching, but at least I have things to look at now! Thank you!!

ETA: Oh, and there's videos at the Baby Sherpa website, too! I never even thought to look for videos of bags! So cool!

ang79
04-20-2009, 09:24 PM
Thank you, that does help! I found my way via the Pink Room to YouTube where there are videos of all the bags in action! Awesome! I'm seriously considering the Packabe now after looking at the videos. I was also thinking about the BeTween, but from seeing it, I think it's too small. And I LOVE the machine washable aspect of these bags - not that I envision washing it too often, but it's great to be able to!

:signthankspin:

FWIW, I first tried the BeTween and it was a very tight fit for packing for a toddler and infant (and I consider myself a fairly light packer). I also did not like how it felt very wide and boxy on my side while wearing it.

If you decide to try a JJB definately check out Ebay, the Pink Room, or the yahoo group Babybags to find a good deal. These bags hold up so well that you can find a gently used one for at least 1/3 to 1/2 off usually :) I think they have some great features but I don't think I'd ever pay retail prices for them!

tmarie
04-20-2009, 10:26 PM
I just purchased a JuJuBe All about a week ago. So far I love the bag and am shocked at how much it fits. I am no expert, but one of the JuJuBe backpacks might be a good option for you too. The girls in the pink room were very helpful!

tmarie

MamaKath
04-21-2009, 10:42 AM
I love my Baby Sherpa. You can stuff a TON of stuff in it. It has a cooler compartment for food and drinks and a cooler pocket for bottles. It also has a mesh thing in front and you can stuff blankets and jackets there. It comes with a changing pad also. I've used it on multiple trips and it is a lifesaver! It is also really well made. I highly recommend it!

I found this website selling them for $62:

http://www.babysherpabackpacks.com/?gclid=COHF-dzdgJoCFRIeDQodxkmLFw
That is a great deal for them! I have both the Shorthaul and the Sherpa. They are great backpacks. They do not have the looks of the JJB's (I love the style of the JJB line!) but they are pretty lightwieght and the cooler bottom is great. They are super comfortable to wear, this has been my greatest complaint about a lot of bags that can be worn as backpacks. Probably my favorite bags for my needs (similar to yours, no dipes but outings with the kids, need to provide snacks and lunches for them while out).

arivecchi
04-21-2009, 11:17 AM
Totally agree with MamaKath, the Baby Sherpa is my fave. Comfortable, fits everything you could possibly need and can be worn to death! As a bonus, you do not have to worry about getting it dirty. You can use wipes to clean it if need be. People always ask me about it when they see it at the airport. It rocks!

mamaoftwins
04-21-2009, 04:24 PM
Alright, after spending what felt like HOURS online looking at all of these bags, I'm going with ... Baby Sherpa. :) I love the Ju Ju Be styling and the colors (oh, the colors!), but I think that the Sherpa will just be a little more functional for me. We're thinking of flying to see family later this year, and this pack would be great for travel as well!

Thanks so much for all of your help, ladies! It's much appreciated. :signthankspin:

arivecchi
04-21-2009, 05:25 PM
Yipee! I hope you like it as much as we do. I don't think you will regret it!