PDA

View Full Version : When to get a tricycle?

MontrealMum
04-18-2009, 12:58 PM
The tricycle that I would like to get for DS is on sale this weekend, but it says the age range is 3-5 yrs. Is this a safety thing or a size thing? Because DS is the size of an average 3 yr old so I know he'd be able to reach the pedals etc. just fine. I am only thinking of it because we live across from a park and the bike path and I am seeing sooo many kids out on trikes/small bikes these days, so if it's safe for him at this age I'd like to get in on the sale. TIA!

JTsMom
04-18-2009, 01:49 PM
I'd say it's different for every child, depending on their motor skills, but we got DS a tricycle for his 2nd b-day, and it was much too early for him. He just didn't have the coordination/motor skills to pedal it. We did get some use out of it b/c it had a push handle, but he had very little interest in it. What about some other type of ride-on?

hillview
04-19-2009, 02:08 PM
We got a push bar one when DS #1 turned 1. We pushed him for over a year and at 2.5 he started to be able to ride it a little.
/hillary

infomama
04-19-2009, 02:26 PM
We got a Kettler when DD1 turned one. DD2 started to stagger along holding onto the back of the seat as soon as she was on two feet (it would just go in circles..kinda cute).

o_mom
04-19-2009, 03:41 PM
I think it is more of a usefulness issue as most kids can't pedal until closer to 2.5-3 years old. DS2 was one of the rare ones that could ride at 24 months, but he is way outside the norm, DS1 OTOH was over 3.5 and actually learned after his younger brother. If you get one now, just keep the expectations low.

citymama
04-20-2009, 03:07 AM
I think 2 is the perfect age. As the PP says, they usually learn to pedal b/w 2.5-3 yrs. (or older/younger depending on the kid). But this sounds like a really enormous trike, if suitable for 3 and up, so I would be careful getting it for a younger child - he may be frustrated if he's unable to move/pedal it because of its weight.

hillview
04-20-2009, 10:12 AM
Also we used the kettler push bar trike as a stroller for DS #1 when we lived in the city. He loved it.
/hillary