PDA

View Full Version : Maclaren Twin TRIUMPH or TECHNO?

peyton
04-18-2009, 09:53 PM
I've looked at the "buggy comparison" on Maclaren's website but would love to hear from those of you who have owned both/either. Is the Techo worth the extra money for the few upgrades? What about the weight... does it make much difference?

This summer I'll have newborn twins and a 2.5 year old. I'm planning to use the stroller from birth for the babies. I'll probably use a Bjorn (or something similar) for one baby and put the other baby and toddler in the stroller.

Thanks in advance!

WatchingThemGrow
04-19-2009, 07:17 AM
The Techno seemed too bulky and heavy for us. The Triumph seemed better.

But, in the end, we went with the BJ City Mini Double because, like you, I still need to hold DD's hand while pushing the double across parking lots, down sidewalks, etc. We actually use/love the Elite Double more, but for a lightweight double with great canopies, recline, etc, the City Mini was a much better choice for us than the Mac Twins.

jenny
04-19-2009, 07:56 AM
If you get the triumph, you can't use it until the baby is a bit older. The recline isn't as steep (the techno reclines fully, while the Quest reclines a bit further than the triumph). Also the techno does not have an extendable footrest (which the quest has and I think the techno has too).

if you plan on putting a car seat into the stroller, you can't do that with either the triumph or the techno. The techno XLR is the only mac stroller than comes with a car seat adaptor.

but if you plan on just putting your newborn in the stroller, you should get the techno b/c it has a flat recline.

WatchingThemGrow
04-19-2009, 08:01 AM
If you get the triumph, you can't use it until the baby is a bit older. The recline isn't as steep (the techno reclines fully, while the Quest reclines a bit further than the triumph).
The Mac website says the TWIN Triumph IS actually suitable from birth, whereas the single Triumph is good from 3 mos on.
Can anyone who owns one confirm this? I wouldn't think they would fib on this matter, would they?

Wife_and_mommy
04-19-2009, 08:45 AM
The Mac website says the TWIN Triumph IS actually suitable from birth, whereas the single Triumph is good from 3 mos on.
Can anyone who owns one confirm this? I wouldn't think they would fib on this matter, would they?

True and also I don't think a newborn has to be *flat* not to mention time flies so quickly. There will only be a few weeks before the babies are 3m by the time OP is ready to venture out. Seems inconsequential to me.

I'd choose the Triumph over the Techno just because of the weight. It's considered lightweight for a double but at 20#, it's still heavy. I wouldn't want anything heavier than 20-22# in a double esp for the long-term use the OP will have with twins.

FWIW, I had the Combi twin for my 2y apart kiddos and was *really* disappointed when the Twin Triumph came out just a couple months later. I wish I could have waited. The Combi doesn't compare to the Mac and Inglesina strollers I have/had.

mamaoftwins
04-19-2009, 09:05 AM
I have a Twin Triumph. The seats do not recline totally flat, but the recline is substantial, and this didn't bother me as Wife_and_Mommy is right, we didn't go out much the first few months anyway.

It is pouring out right now, and my stroller is in the car. When the rain lets up a little, I will go outside and measure how far the seats on the TT recline, as I can't seem to picture it right now. (It's been a long time since we reclined them, I guess!)

IMO, I do not think that the cost and weight increase for the Techno are worth it. If you're going with an umbrella style stroller, keep it as light as possible. I'd rather spend the extra money on a BJCMD or a BJCCD.

MNmomtobe
04-19-2009, 09:22 AM
Correct me if I am wrong but I know on the single Triumph, the seat is quite shallow and does not have an adjustable leg rest. This would be very important for me in a newborn and even up to young toddler age. Does the TT have the adjust legrest feature?

mamaoftwins
04-19-2009, 09:36 AM
Correct me if I am wrong but I know on the single Triumph, the seat is quite shallow and does not have an adjustable leg rest. This would be very important for me in a newborn and even up to young toddler age. Does the TT have the adjust legrest feature?

No, the Twin Triumph does not have an adjustable leg-rest. IME, this was not an important feature for us.

mamaoftwins
04-19-2009, 09:39 AM
Ok, I checked out the recline. The seats on the Twin Triumph will recline to about a 30 degree angle or a little less to my best estimation. It's definitely more of a recline than 45 degrees, but not as much as say 15 degrees. HTH!!

I believe we started using the Twin Triumph when the boys were just 3mos old. I found the recline to be adequate for us.

MNmomtobe
04-19-2009, 10:51 AM
No, the Twin Triumph does not have an adjustable leg-rest. IME, this was not an important feature for us.

Yeah some people don't mind not having the adjustable legrest. I use mine all the time on my P3, Mac Ryder, and Zooper Twist. For myself, I wouldn't get a stroller for a young child that didn't have that feature. They seem much more comfy napping in the stroller if they can put their legs up.