PDA

View Full Version : Best carry-on luggage?

DeeEast
04-18-2009, 11:00 PM
We need to buy some kind of wheeled carry-on luggage. DH wants a 22 inch suitcase (or thereabouts). I am thinking of a wheeled tote (but could be talked into the bigger case). Any recommendations?

bubbaray
04-18-2009, 11:09 PM
If I was looking for carryon luggage, I would get a Heys X-case. LOVE them.

inmypjs
04-18-2009, 11:28 PM
I recommend this one by ebags:

http://www.ebags.com/ebags/mother_lode_etech_mini_21_wheeled_duffel/product_detail/index.cfm?modelid=68256

Several people in my family have it and love it. It has lots of different compartments for things and wheels really smoothly. It's also pretty light weight for a carry on - which I think is important since the airlines are restricting weight more and more, and you want to be able to lift it into the overhead bins easily.

I have another ebags carry on that was less $ than this one - but I they don't seem to have it on their site anymore... It is also very nice for the money.

HTH!

DeeEast
04-19-2009, 12:29 PM
I recommend this one by ebags:

http://www.ebags.com/ebags/mother_lode_etech_mini_21_wheeled_duffel/product_detail/index.cfm?modelid=68256

Several people in my family have it and love it. It has lots of different compartments for things and wheels really smoothly. It's also pretty light weight for a carry on - which I think is important since the airlines are restricting weight more and more, and you want to be able to lift it into the overhead bins easily.

I have another ebags carry on that was less $ than this one - but I they don't seem to have it on their site anymore... It is also very nice for the money.

HTH!

I love the looks of this bag and almost bought it before I realized, if you add up the dimensions, its 45.5" and American Airlines carry-on restrictions only go up to 45". Did they just change the requirements or what?

TwinFoxes
04-19-2009, 12:38 PM
The .5 inch won't matter. I traveled a lot pre-babies. The airlines don't measure carry-ons. If you have something HUGE they might, but you should see some of the things people drag onboard! My carryon is bigger than 45 (it's about 46, I bought it when the limits were bigger) and have never given it a second thought.

jenmcadams
04-19-2009, 12:40 PM
I think the eBags branded stuff is great for the price (of course, I always have to preface this by saying I used to work there until my DD was born). I think right now they're running a 2 day 20% off sale that ends today. I'm not sure if it's on the home page for everyone or if I'm just seeing it b/c I clicked on the email. Either way, let me know if you want me to rummage up a code for you...

Edited to Add:
Here's a link for 25% off....
http://www.ebags.com/index.cfm?sourceid=EBAGR027

MmeSunny
04-19-2009, 01:49 PM
I would disagree and say that the .5" might matter depending on your flight attendant or gate attendant. I have a 22" roll on as my carry on and because it's bright blue and catches their eyes, I have had to squeeze it into the carryon luggage box/size check thing at the gate at least four times to "make sure" that it wasn't too large.

With the newish bag fees, more people are carrying more onto the planes instead of having to pay to check. That's making the FA that much more watchful. Also, I'm pretty sure they're being encouraged to check bags that look large to get that extra checked bag fee if possible.

DeeEast
04-19-2009, 09:13 PM
I think the eBags branded stuff is great for the price (of course, I always have to preface this by saying I used to work there until my DD was born). I think right now they're running a 2 day 20% off sale that ends today. I'm not sure if it's on the home page for everyone or if I'm just seeing it b/c I clicked on the email. Either way, let me know if you want me to rummage up a code for you...

Edited to Add:
Here's a link for 25% off....
http://www.ebags.com/index.cfm?sourceid=EBAGR027

Thanks so much for this link. This is a great discount.

sste
04-19-2009, 10:01 PM
I really like the mfr/line "travelpro." We bought a roll-on 7 years ago and travel alot . . . and its still in great shape.

TwinFoxes
04-19-2009, 11:11 PM
I would disagree and say that the .5" might matter depending on your flight attendant or gate attendant. I have a 22" roll on as my carry on and because it's bright blue and catches their eyes, I have had to squeeze it into the carryon luggage box/size check thing at the gate at least four times to "make sure" that it wasn't too large.

But the bag she's considering is only 21.5 long, so it's shorter than yours and would fit in one of those boxes. The combined linear inches is 45.5. I've never seen a gate agent see that a bag that fits into the measuring box, then whip out a tape measure to make sure it's not greater than 45.5 linear inches. But obviously OP should do what she's comfortable with. If she's stuck having to pay to check the bag it's not like she can say "but Twinfoxes said..." ;)

lowrioh
04-20-2009, 08:56 AM
I really like the mfr/line "travelpro." We bought a roll-on 7 years ago and travel alot . . . and its still in great shape.

:yeahthat: